Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 PM

34 posts, read 104,629 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or do most Maine trucks over 10 years old have rust issues? I've been looking for an older 4x4 and it seems that everything I've looked at falls into 2 categories - Has bad rust, or on the way to having bad rust.

Any thoughts? I'm considering looking down south instead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,736,745 times
Go south to find a truck. Maine began using calcium chloride on our roads several years ago. It is terrible on everything under your truck. Brakes, suspensions, frames and gas tank hangars all rust out prematurely. We need to go back to sand.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 PM

740 posts, read 1,886,072 times
I purchased my 1993 from NJ. I found it on Craigs List and it has hardly any rust, now to keep it that way.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
I helped a friend tow a 'new' truck to his home last week. He had found it on Uncle Henrys, the lot it was in had eight plow trucks all with 'for sale' signs. I looked around and I was not able to find any truck there that did not have rust holes in the body big enough to throw a cat through.

They all dump trucks with snow blades. Some of the dump bodies had holes right through the bottoms big enough that I would be concerned for anyone walking on them.

He claimed that they all run.

As we worked on his 'new' truck trying to get it started. I noticed that the rust flaking off the exhaust manifold, is flaking off in chunks thicker than my pinky finger. The 'I' frames under those trucks were a foot tall, but many had holes big enough that I could pass my fist through without touching the sides.

After we got it to his house, he did get it running.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 PM

827 posts, read 1,675,705 times
The big trouble is folks don't wash under their vehicles much. I would give em a bath at least once a month [if it was warm enough] Yes they had light rust but never big holes in em.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,871,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Go south to find a truck. Maine began using calcium chloride on our roads several years ago. It is terrible on everything under your truck. Brakes, suspensions, frames and gas tank hangars all rust out prematurely. We need to go back to sand.
I work for the DOT and you'll be glad to know that at least here in region 2 we have switched over to salt brine instead of CC, I guess its cheaper and works about the same.
Sand is good but much more costly than salt when you add in the trucking of it (it takes alot more sand to do the same job as salt) and clean up in spring and also the increased amount of ditching that will have to be done, catch basins will also have to be cleaned out alot more often.

bill

Last edited by roadrat; 12-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,871,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
The big trouble is folks don't wash under their vehicles much. I would give em a bath at least once a month [if it was warm enough] Yes they had light rust but never big holes in em.
Here at the DOT we wash our trucks completely after every storm, I know we catch some flak from some people who think we should be out doing some "real work" but its alot cheaper to wash a truck than buy a new one at $170,000 a pop.

bill

Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Our outdoor faucets get shutoff inside and drained, before the water inside them freezes, expands and bursts the pipes.

Our rubber hoses all get drained, coiled, and stored. Otherwise they will crack when uncoiled at those temps.

Last year I needed an air-hose, so I took my air compressor outside, uncoiled some hose and used it to air-up my tires. When as I went to recoil the air-hose, I found that it had hardened. Forcing the air-hose to coil, it cracked.

Now you want us to wash our vehicles?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Here at the DOT we wash our trucks completely after every storm, I know we catch some flak from some people who think we should be out doing some "real work" but its alot cheaper to wash a truck than buy a new one at $170,000 a pop.

bill
Inside a heated garage I guess?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,027,764 times
Inside a car wash...many offer frequent user discounts. they know what the salt, any salt product, can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: