Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times

Advertisements

Up here in Canada there are many chain garages dedicated to oil spraying most of the cars prone to rust areas, most fleets do it,all military vehicles get it done all public transit and city maintenance vehicles and its the smart car owner that gets it done which is most of us.,
Its a yearly application of oil and water dispersant and costs from $75-$125.
Heres one chain.
http://krown.com/#process/

Heres another
Rustproofing - Original Treatment - Vehicle Rust Proofing | Metropolitain Rustproofing
Have no idea why its not a widespread practice south of the border.

As for washing the car in the winter? kinda worthless exercise as all you'll do is activate all the frozen salt residue thats in every nook and crevice under the car and you wont get much of it going through a car wash that maybe using recycled water (think very salty)
Also if its really cold all you'l do is get a coating of ice over everything including door locks and weather stripping.
As for parking a car in a heated garage every night? about the worst possible thing you can do for your car as every night all the salt warms up and starts eating your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Simple, go to a car wash and get rid of the salt and chemicals BEFORE they destroy the vehicle. Spend a few bucks and stop being a Cheap Charlie
Where in northern WaCo does one go to do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
After he goes to the car wash, how does he keep the salt off his car on his twenty or thirty mile trip home from the car wash?
That's a very good question. I was going to ask the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Never mind I guess the concept is over your head.
Over mine too. Please, for us stupid people who live in the woods, no where near a car wash, explain. Enlighten us about life in rural Maine and how to keep the salt off the car. And the moose that come out of the woods to lick the salt, too. We need to keep those off the car too. I can feel my intelligence on the verge of rising already!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
... As for washing the car in the winter? kinda worthless exercise as all you'll do is activate all the frozen salt residue thats in every nook and crevice under the car and you wont get much of it going through a car wash that maybe using recycled water (think very salty)
Also if its really cold all you'l do is get a coating of ice over everything including door locks and weather stripping. As for parking a car in a heated garage every night? about the worst possible thing you can do for your car as every night all the salt warms up and starts eating your car.
It often looks like a lot of snow/ice gets packed up into places in the undercarriage.

To me it seems that even if I blasted the undercarriage with hot/soapy water, when I drive away from the booth the wet coating would freeze in place. Driving home again would splash yet another layer of slush and road-salt back up into all of those nooks and crevices [not to be confused with 'Nook and Cranny' which is a wonderful restaurant]. So by the time I got home it would surely look like it looked before I drove into the city to the car wash.

Doing a car wash would be like changing your oil. It might remove all of your snow/ice from early in the day, to replace it with snow/ice from later in the day.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
... Over mine too. Please, for us stupid people who live in the woods, no where near a car wash, explain. Enlighten us about life in rural Maine and how to keep the salt off the car. And the moose that come out of the woods to lick the salt, too. We need to keep those off the car too. I can feel my intelligence on the verge of rising already!
During our first winter here, DW's car looked so funny, it was covered with 'kisses' from our goats. Everytime they could get loose and near her car they were kissing the salt off the sides of her car.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Is this your first year of using the product, or have you had a few years of experience with it? I'm curious about the effectiveness of Fluid Film.
Thanks for the feedback.
How would one objectively judge the performance of this product? It's guaranteed for a year... who's vehicle rusts out in a year?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 AM

476 posts, read 749,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
How would one objectively judge the performance of this product? It's guaranteed for a year... who's vehicle rusts out in a year?
A good point of clarification, and that is why I kindly asked if the product had been used over the course of several years, in order to objectively judge it's effectiveness through observation of the amount of rust accumulation.
I am interested to see if the use of Fluid Film annually works as advertised to prevent rust.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
During our first winter here, DW's car looked so funny, it was covered with 'kisses' from our goats. Everytime they could get loose and near her car they were kissing the salt off the sides of her car.

I had a buck that would jump the fence to get to the trucks then jump to get back to the pasture.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM

25 posts, read 44,597 times
Default rusty trucks

i just sold one of my spare snow plows to a guy that has property in washinton state, and they do not use anything but sand!! There trucks are almost rust free soooo why do we need salt and calCEUM?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet the jet View Post
... why do we need salt and calCEUM?
We dont.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM

399 posts, read 855,673 times
I bought my car new in 1997 (Chevy) and took very good care of it. I always had the undercarriage washed at the car wash. Initially I had the rust inhibitor put on when I bought it too. 13 years later (the car was still good) the rear axle broke in half one day because of what they use on the roads. I know the car was 13 years old but it worked fine except for the rust and corrosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: