Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,471,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The BDN today had an article about these turbines. The neighbors are already gripping about the noise.
THAT didn't take long! But we kinda' assumed that would happen anyway.
The people that own the lighthouse on IAH have one, we can hear the hum from across the cove quite clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
Island Locations are ideal for large wind turbine installation because the breeze is there most of the time. The other reason is the oil fueled generators are even more expensive to operate and maintain. The energy collected by the wind turbine is used as it is generated and the Diesels run only as needed. There is no need for energy storage in this situation.

Maineah - You are entitled to your opinion but how did you conclude wind turbines are a joke. In many parts of the world they are welcome additions to the electrical energy supply.

I agree that nuclear power with fuel reprocessing and recycling is a viable long term solution principally because these reactors can be designed to produce morte fuel than they use. However, unless you are going to resurrect a used submarine power plant a nuclear reactor, I cannot see nuclear as a viable energy source for Vinalhaven.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,021,140 times
As was stated before everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't know why so many think that support for wind turbines means a committment to only that technology. This area of the U.S is blessed with abundant running water, tidal surges, wind , and sun. I see know reason current technology can't address the flaws of past incarnations of these systems to equip Maine with a composite for minimal fossil fuel use for energy production. I reluctantly expect nuclear to be part of the picture as well but I see no reason why New England has to be enslaved to the erratic market fluctuations and multiple pollutants of the "dig it out of the ground" fossil fuel age. Petroleum based materials will still be used for manufacturing, including new "green" technology products, but places like Maine with abundant natural resources should have no reason to completely depend on them for heat and fuel It may take a number of years to fine tune the more earth friendly systems for efficiency and safety but it will be an investment in an energy independent future for Maine. Lower utility costs mean lower overhead for business, industry, government, and residents.

Wildlife mortality is a real problem but it is far from impossible. We just have to work the problem, People.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has produced a 30 minute video entitled ‘Raptors at Risk’, explaining the electrocution problem and federal laws that protect birds while providing practical information on retrofitting existing power lines and installing new equipment to prevent bird deaths. These measures include visual markers such as colored spheres, spinning disks, and streamers that reduce the likelihood of collisions, and spacers, insulating sheaths, and wider separation between lines to decreases electrocution rates.
Mortality Threats to Birds - Power Lines

Powered by Google Docs

Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,937 times
I thought this was interesting...obviously a pro-wind bias, but I can't argue with the numbers:

Advice from an Expert - Putting Wind's Impact on Birds in Perspective (http://www.awea.org/faq/sagrillo/swbirds.html - broken link)

Bird Death Statistics:

Utility transmission and distribution lines: 130 to 174 million bird deaths a year in the U.S.

Collisions with automobiles and trucks: result in the deaths of between 60 and 80 million birds annually in the U.S.

Tall building and residential house windows: also claim their share of birds. between 100 million and a staggering 1 billion deaths annually.4

Lighted communication towers: Current mortality estimates due to telecommunication towers are 40 to 50 million birds per year.9 T

Agricultural pesticides: are "conservatively estimated" to directly kill 67 million birds per year.10

Cats, both feral and housecats: The most reasonable estimates indicate that 39 million birds are killed in the state each year."11

Together, human infrastructure and industrial activities are responsible for one to four million bird deaths per day!

How many bird deaths by wind turbines?:

"A 1986 study found that 69 million birds flew though the San Gorgonio Pass [major wind farm near Palm Springs CA] during the Spring and Fall migrations. During both migrating seasons, only 38 dead birds were found during that typical year, representing only 0.00006% of the migrating population. "

"They report that "data collected outside California indicate an average of 1.83 avian fatalities per turbine (for all species combined), and 0.006 raptor fatalities per turbine per year. Based on current projections of 3,500 operational wind turbines in the US by the end of 2001, excluding California, the total annual mortality was estimated at approximately 6,400 bird fatalities per year for all species combined.

Sorry for the cut-pasting....I thought these where the most interesting statistics...please read the entire articles for citations and for more studies/case reports.

Last edited by broadbill; 11-18-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I thought this was interesting...obviously a pro-wind bias, but I can't argue with the numbers:

Advice from an Expert - Putting Wind's Impact on Birds in Perspective (http://www.awea.org/faq/sagrillo/swbirds.html - broken link)

Bird Death Statistics:

Utility transmission and distribution lines: 130 to 174 million bird deaths a year in the U.S.

Collisions with automobiles and trucks: result in the deaths of between 60 and 80 million birds annually in the U.S.

Tall building and residential house windows: also claim their share of birds. between 100 million and a staggering 1 billion deaths annually.4

Lighted communication towers: Current mortality estimates due to telecommunication towers are 40 to 50 million birds per year.9 T

Agricultural pesticides: are "conservatively estimated" to directly kill 67 million birds per year.10

Cats, both feral and housecats: The most reasonable estimates indicate that 39 million birds are killed in the state each year."11

Together, human infrastructure and industrial activities are responsible for one to four million bird deaths per day!

How many bird deaths by wind turbines?:

"A 1986 study found that 69 million birds flew though the San Gorgonio Pass [major wind farm near Palm Springs CA] during the Spring and Fall migrations. During both migrating seasons, only 38 dead birds were found during that typical year, representing only 0.00006% of the migrating population. "

"They report that "data collected outside California indicate an average of 1.83 avian fatalities per turbine (for all species combined), and 0.006 raptor fatalities per turbine per year. Based on current projections of 3,500 operational wind turbines in the US by the end of 2001, excluding California, the total annual mortality was estimated at approximately 6,400 bird fatalities per year for all species combined.

Sorry for the cut-pasting....I thought these where the most interesting statistics...please read the entire articles for citations and for more studies/case reports.
House cats probably kill more birds that all other causes combined. Let's ban house cats!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
good article broadbill............... thanks for the info. I can see the windmills from my house, can't hear them though. I don't find them aesthetically unpleasant, they always make me think of my grandkids as babies watching Teletubbies.

My cat stays in the house, she doesn't bother the birds but, I could do with a few less dang crows. We do have the "turkey trot" through here a couple of times a day, There are 26 hens and 3 toms out there now.

Last edited by msina; 11-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: oops

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 AM

Wind Farms are popular because they have a lot of fans.....get it?? ...fans!!

Well I liked it!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
They do not have fans they have snafs.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They do not have fans they have snafs.
It took me a minute but you're right!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,865,639 times
Never mind those huge bird killing, noisy wind turbines. Now this is the way to go
Backyard reactors? Firms shrink the nukes. | csmonitor.com

Pocket nuclear power plants.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine