Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,456,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The USA lets Canadians who have an OUI on the license across into the states why not the other way around? We need to annex Canada and make it the 51-57th states.
LMAO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM

52 posts, read 85,932 times
Anyone in Eastport know if this house for sale at 5 Byram St is really a fixer upper, or does it need to be slicked? The price indicates the latter... Thanks!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM

263 posts, read 798,667 times
That's a nice looking house! What do you mean by "slicked"? I've never heard that term before.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Oops, sorry, that's a term we use in my part of the world for a buying a house, usually for the lot, and demolishing it to build a new one in it's place. It's not being done much anymore, but was common during the housing boom for people wanting a mcmansion - not so much these days. Also done if the house repairs are prohibitive and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:56 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,892,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1 View Post
Oops, sorry, that's a term we use in my part of the world for a buying a house, usually for the lot, and demolishing it to build a new one in it's place. It's not being done much anymore, but was common during the housing boom for people wanting a mcmansion - not so much these days. Also done if the house repairs are prohibitive and it would be more cost effective to start from scratch.
Up here it's called "Downeast TLC". Torch, Level & Clear!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM

Love it - much kinder and gentler sounding!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM

I am planning a trip in the next couple of months to Eastport to start looking seriously for a place to buy and need a little realtor etiquette. Is the best bet to contact the different agencies listing properties and have them show me their listings, or can any agent show me any agency's listing? Don't want to step on any toes... and need to look at as many properties as I can in a short amount of time.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,892,984 times
I think sometimes one of the realtors will show anothers property. The folks here are good about it if you ask.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:55 PM

29 posts, read 72,006 times
In Hancock county, its mostly all multi-listed, though I hear here that in the interior the multi-listing is less. If you buy property with a broker that is listed with the broker, then the broker doesn't have to share the commission with the other listing broker. But each broker doesn't have what everyone wants in their stable. In most instances the broker ends up sharing. In my case the seller had some special deal with the broker to only have to pay them 2%, but state law requires a minimum of 3% in the sharing. This meant that I had to pay the holding broker 1 % myself to follow the law. I didn't know this until closing, and if I did I would have deducted it from the total cost in the agreement, so make sure you know how the split is. The seller might be making some weird deal with their own broker, and you might never know. My own broker who is very very knowledgeable, never heard of something like this, but said considering the listing broker, he couldn't say he was surprised---in retrospect.

When we visited property, and our broker took us to 18 properties on the first trip and 8 more on the second one, he took us to his own stable first, and tried to talk up their good points first.

RIM

Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,524,751 times
Yet another cd-er moving to Eastport.. it's becoming a swarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine