Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times

Advertisements

When we were in Atlanta DW told me that "if you take the pop of Hotlanta just inside the beltway and moved them to Maine; it would increase the population about 3 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM

52 posts, read 85,847 times
I see another thread about cell phone service, but wonder what experience those of you who live in Eastport have with the different carriers, and who you recommend for the best coverage? Also, what do you do for internet and tv?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,967 times
Default cell/tell

Cell phone service is provided by US Cellular, but, if you are on Water Street, next to the bay, you are probably going to roam on Canadian towers. That is pricey $$$ US Cellular has good coverage from about Bangor Savings Bank west. I lock my phone off roaming. There may be an international plan, but I am not aware of it.

Cable TV/Internet is Time Warner. Internet is good, reasonable, and reliable. Cable TV is cable TV. Basic package is cheap, but with the add ons, it is about the same price as elsewhere.

Stay away from Fairpoint, unless you have to have a wired phone. I never got DSL from them last year and it was over a month. I see where they just filed for bankruptcy yesterday. I had no issues when Verizon was the carrier, but Fairpoint was a disaster. I still get wrong bills every month from my wireline phone....they can't seem to get the billing right.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
We use Time Warner for our internet and TV and my cell phone is with Alltel and I have no problems with service except for occasionally bouncing off a Canadian tower, then I just call them and they remove the charge.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM

52 posts, read 85,847 times
Thanks so much - I'll look into US Cellular - haven't heard of them before. We have T-Mobile now and when we visited Eastport there was no coverage except what was bouncing off the Canadian towers.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
When we were in Atlanta DW told me that "if you take the pop of Hotlanta just inside the beltway and moved them to Maine; it would increase the population about 3 times.
I would believe that, they probably have more cars stuck not moving on the interstates during rush hour than there are cars in Maine. When dramammama and I came back from Florida last December we crept up 7 lanes of highway forever, the 7 lanes going the other way wasn't moving either.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Many of my classmates are gone from this area, and not all by choice. It's difficult to go off to college, get a degree, and then find work in your field in rural areas--depending on the field of course. Some of my classmates are still around, probably twenty or so within sixty miles, but I have classmates who are senior bank VPs, doctors, officers in the military, etc.... and we either don't have those jobs here at all or there weren't openings for those who wanted to come back. Rural Maine is a great place to raise a family, but when the population in any area is low, it doesn't offer the variety of employment opps found in cities.

Something that people from *away* often forget is how small the total population of our state really is. There are many cities in the US with populations larger than our entire state. Keep that in perspective when considering a move.
additionally, there's an attitude of high school seniors to "get away"
a natural lure to attend college well over the horizon-in another state.
This attitude was prevalent decades ago when i was in high school, and still remains-not only because of job possibilities, or higher accredited colleges, more to, perhaps get away from the umbrella of family,(time to be on your own) and to see what's out there in the big cities.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I would believe that, they probably have more cars stuck not moving on the interstates during rush hour than there are cars in Maine. When dramammama and I came back from Florida last December we crept up 7 lanes of highway forever, the 7 lanes going the other way wasn't moving either.
I remember their Guv saying once that at any given time of the day there were at least 240,000 cars on 285 alone in Hot-lanta. And all doing 5mph watching a guy change a flat. Glad to be back home.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I remember their Guv saying once that at any given time of the day there were at least 240,000 cars on 285 alone in Hot-lanta. And all doing 5mph watching a guy change a flat. Glad to be back home.
Sounds 'bout right. Thanks for the morning giggle!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It has turned out to be quite affordable to do it this way.
Do an area at a time doesn't over cost your budget... I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My Mom's family was from Washington County in the Vanceboro Calais /St. Stephens area.
Wow... your from up and over too ( in a sense of course) I did not realize that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Cell phone service is provided by US Cellular, but, if you are on Water Street, next to the bay, you are probably going to roam on Canadian towers. .
True, and we don't live in Eastport, but because we border Canada in the same sense in our travels, we call US. Cellular every month and the call takes 4 minutest and poof off the bill. If it wasn't as easy as all of that.. lockingwould be a nice option.
Now........ if that was fairpoint, then forget it... "Don't pick up your phone to look at it, they bill you for things that don't happen or don't make sense (oops another thread and topic alllll together.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine