Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
you two got the most out of those two weeks, that's for sure.
We try to make the most of the time we are there, we don't get up there nearly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Eastport is fine though you do yourself a great dis-service by not considering one of the hundreds of equally nice towns between Kittery and Calais.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Mainah raises a good point. Have you checked out other towns or spent some time in Maine going up Rt 1? It makes for a good trip and there are plenty of nice towns along the way. Personally, I'm not a big York or Cumberland county fan but there are more counties and towns to choose from.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
Quote:
you two got the most out of those two weeks, that's for sure.
Gotta milk that time so it will last the two years between trips.

To the OP, any particular reason you choose Eastport i.e. family ties, recommendations on here? Just curious.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 AM

52 posts, read 85,904 times
Woxyroxme and Dramamama - wow! I'm really impressed. I will take a look at what is for sale and get back to you about specific houses.

Anyone have any particular recommendations for other towns to consider? I have spent time on route 1 between Acadia and Eastport and saw lots of great places but fell in love with Eastport as the place to settle. I don't have a lot of time to spend exploring, unfortunately, and don't want to be too far south, but would welcome any specific suggestions for other places to check.

Having said that, I do have concerns about the economy in Washington County, and which way that is moving. Do you have any sense as to how many people living in Eastport are only there part of the year, as opposed to full time residents? And how many of those are not native Eastporters, but have bought vacation homes there? I am curious as to how that is trending...

Thanks for all your help - it does my heart good and reinforces my feelings about the people in Maine, and those who are trying to get there!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 AM

It seems to be a fair amount of folks that stay there year round, but maybe there income is earned mostly in the summer from tourist/customer service type jobs. Retiredtinbender and willb will have the best take on that. Also, several on this forum who just got there or are summer people for now(soon not to be).. would be of great help.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud1 View Post
Woxyroxme and Dramamama - wow! I'm really impressed. I will take a look at what is for sale and get back to you about specific houses.

Anyone have any particular recommendations for other towns to consider? I have spent time on route 1 between Acadia and Eastport and saw lots of great places but fell in love with Eastport as the place to settle. I don't have a lot of time to spend exploring, unfortunately, and don't want to be too far south, but would welcome any specific suggestions for other places to check.

Having said that, I do have concerns about the economy in Washington County, and which way that is moving. Do you have any sense as to how many people living in Eastport are only there part of the year, as opposed to full time residents? And how many of those are not native Eastporters, but have bought vacation homes there? I am curious as to how that is trending...

Thanks for all your help - it does my heart good and reinforces my feelings about the people in Maine, and those who are trying to get there!
No need to worry about the economy in Washington County; we haven't got one. Doing some quick, cursory calculations it looks like about 60% of owners on the island have an 04631 zip code. However, comma, some (but not many) just get their bills at their summer homes and go home after summer and others have more than one place in town (rentals). But I'd say 60% sounds reasonable.

This poll has a margin of error of 33.67% to 76.1%.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
No need to worry about the economy in Washington County; we haven't got one. Doing some quick, cursory calculations it looks like about 60% of owners on the island have an 04631 zip code. However, comma, some (but not many) just get their bills at their summer homes and go home after summer and others have more than one place in town (rentals). But I'd say 60% sounds reasonable.

This poll has a margin of error of 33.67% to 76.1%.
My Mom's family was from Washington County in the Vanceboro Calais /St. Stephens area. That area has changed very little from the first time we visited the place in the 60's. The people of that area had nothing but needed nothing. They had a cellar full of canned goods, a shed full of wood, and wanted for little. "We get by" was always their outlook on life. We oftened envied their closeness with their neighbors and loved listening to my Great Aunt tell stories of the "odd folks" who lived in town. Nobody had any money up there. The guy who owned the one store in downtown Vanceboro was the only one in town with a newer model car. Everyone else had old beater pickups. The houses were small and always in need of repair. We would paint out rooms for my Great Aunt whenever we visited. She'd make us the best turkey dinner you had ever eaten! We loved that area and never looked on it as depressed. It's just the way it was up there. You got by the best you could. My Great Aunt would get up every morning and collect returnable bottles on the back roads where the Canadians would drink their beer before going across the border to go home. She saved enough money to visit her son when he was stationed in Germany in the Army in the early 80's...that's thrifty!!
They're all gone now and I miss them all very much....

Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
I think one of the best things about Eastport is also one of the hardest things to adjust to.... it's the fact that it's so tucked away from everything. It's a good thing in many ways, but it can be difficult too. You're closer to everything on the Canadian side, and not much on the American side. That can take some adjustment. If there's any way to spend more time in the area, it would be to your benefit.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:24 AM

Thanks for sharing those memories, Maineah and as always well said, miss molly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine