Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,561,787 times

Advertisements

LOL...I have plenty of that even for a small Ohio town (pop. under 30K)..I don't think when I move to Maine that I will evr tire of not hearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:13 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,183,883 times
When we lived in Bangor we could always hear the sirens, we weren't that far from St. Joseph's Hospital, just a couple of blocks over, and then on the other side a block or two we had a road leading from a smaller fire dept. We became very used to them! Then moving down here, we rarely hear them at all, so when we do we're always wondering what's going on!

Last weekend there was a motorcycle accident 25 miles away in Eastport, and we were worried it was one of my husband's techs and her hubby....within 20 minutes of the accident we knew it wasn't. News definately travels fast....especially when someone needs help---and local police dispatchers were inundated with calls for emergency response. A good example, I think, of people being there when you need them!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,561,787 times
Definitely good to know that prople still care and look out for their neighbors.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,183,883 times
we were in Eastport last night for a fire on the beach, and drove through town...the American flags are on all the telephone poles, streamers run across the streets at the top of the poles, and at about 10:30pm there were people out walking, eating in the restaurants, shops were open....and the barricades are up on the breakwater to prevent traffic down there while the Navy ship is in....I love an old fashioned 4th of July! just have to make it to Library Park for the strawberry shortcake--missed it last year AND one of my best friends from high school is coming home from Seattle! I'm sooo looking forward to this week!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM

9 posts, read 52,661 times
Another possible Mainer here. My husband and I live in central NY and until recently wanted to move with our 4-month old son to the Denver,CO area. Hasn't happened yet and we are starting to like the idea of Maine as it is only a day's drive back to the hometown here and our families, yet seems to have the feeling of adventure and exploration we are seeking as well as the low-key small town, back-woods hospitality yet classy city and culture we want to raise our son in. We're trying to plan a trip to the Acadia/Bar Harbor/ Bangor/ Portland area for either this or next fall. Any tips for our trip? Is there a good place for a new family with nowhere to go but up, in Maine? Neither of us is college graduates and we are financially struggling here in central NY, but both of us are hard working and have entrepreneurial spirits. Any leads on an up-and coming area that may be a good place to start from scratch?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 PM

23,046 posts, read 28,586,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysmommy07 View Post
Another possible Mainer here. My husband and I live in central NY and until recently wanted to move with our 4-month old son to the Denver,CO area. Hasn't happened yet and we are starting to like the idea of Maine as it is only a day's drive back to the hometown here and our families, yet seems to have the feeling of adventure and exploration we are seeking as well as the low-key small town, back-woods hospitality yet classy city and culture we want to raise our son in. We're trying to plan a trip to the Acadia/Bar Harbor/ Bangor/ Portland area for either this or next fall. Any tips for our trip? Is there a good place for a new family with nowhere to go but up, in Maine? Neither of us is college graduates and we are financially struggling here in central NY, but both of us are hard working and have entrepreneurial spirits. Any leads on an up-and coming area that may be a good place to start from scratch?
I don't know much about your personal situation or your likes and dislikes in regard to communities. But I've spent a fair amount of time in Colorado (more Ft. Collins than Denver, though I have been to Denver many times), and if I had a choice between Colorado and Maine, it would be Maine all the way. Colorado has just gotten too big and booming for me. But that may be what you're looking for. It's still possible to find quiet places in Maine.

Finding a job will certainly be much more of a challenge in Maine than Colorado, but I don't think it's impossible. Depends greatly on what you do.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM

25 posts, read 44,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
The people of Maine were incredibly pleasant. We thought it very unusual how happy all the locals seemed. I'm very observant, and noticed that everywhere we went, people were happy, smiling, conversing amongst themselves, etc. Every single person we talked to on our visit praised their hometown and state, for that matter. We were told countless times, "You're going to love it here!" We were truly spoiled by Mainers and can't wait to get back there!!

The other thing we observed was the cleanliness of the state. It really helped to better enjoy all the natural beauty that is boundless throughout the state. The air is clean and crisp and does NOT smell of dead fish, even when you're standing on the docks surrounded by lobster traps! It was amazing!! We are just completely in love with the state and it's very special people and can't wait to become a part of our new community.
Are you sure they were REAL Mainers???? If Maine is so great,why is there so few people here? Why cant we sell our houses??? I find the people in florida much happier and more healthy and up-beat! A lot of REAL natives in my small town have moved south and never regretted it! My Uncle lived here after the war for a year and could not stand it! He said the worst thing about Maine was the FOG. So they moved to Tucson! If you want to be totally bored, cold, have everyone no what you do and what time you do it, drive 45min. to the nearest shopping, have the power go out every other day all winter, watch the cops and ambulance go by to another drug bust or overdose. Then ive got 3 pieces of property that i would love to sell you!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM

6,656 posts, read 13,668,319 times
Someone left the troll bridge unattended again.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,843,708 times
Andysmommy07,

"Acadia/Bar Harbor/ Bangor/ Portland" are nice to visit, but they are the most expensive areas to live in. Move out 20 miles and you can fond very economical properties. Maine needs people. There are opportunities here, but the chances of stepping into a full time job with benefits are very slim unless you are in the medical field.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

16,790 posts, read 15,933,135 times
Until today, it had been nearly 4 years since there was a post in this thread. Maybe Maine Writer is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine