Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 19,570 times

Advertisements

Move to Maine, on each passing day, you will find this to be true:

"Most of us think of Maine’s small towns as idyllic places to live. We are kidding ourselves. Jim Moore’s painfully truthful book strips away those Pollyanna deceits and gives us a rural Maine of criminal perversion, dark doings, incest, drug use and a decidedly unromantic look these so-called quiet, little towns.

Less than ideal.

There’s more. There’s drunkenness, there’s small-time police corruption and there’s big-time miscarriage of justice. There’s venality in high places, a sloppy tolerance of community criminals and even the grimly unethical behavior of the law enforcement agencies charged with maintaining order"

http://www.trialanderrordennis.org/Readers_shed.htm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 05:26 AM

439 posts, read 723,629 times
I think that some of the assertions made in Mr. Moores book are correct.
The rural areas of Main- especially the more remote locales are filled with some strange going ons.

Painting a 'paradise' like view of Maine- or any place is not good for a newcomer to percieve. If you move to a locale- have a good job lined up, and can afford to live in a good area- you should be fine- but this is an important criteria to measure such a move.

I love Maine- but would avoid the more remote areas of the central and northern parts of the state.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,939,239 times
Why is this such a surprse? Maine is a very big state. It has 1.2 million people in it. The people of Maine are much like the people elsewhere. Is this news?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,580,041 times
I think they have all read to many Stephen King Books

Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 AM

528 posts, read 2,483,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Why is this such a surprse? Maine is a very big state. It has 1.2 million people in it. The people of Maine are much like the people elsewhere. Is this news?
no, it really isn't news....what is written above could be applied to many small rural towns across the country. It's just that for some reason, Maine seems to conjur up images of a Norman Rockwell-type existence more than many other states do...I think it's because many of us have fond memories of Maine childhood vacations, summer camps, etc.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 PM

534 posts, read 3,114,030 times
a bit cynical, but true. So many stories, so little time.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:31 AM

22,940 posts, read 28,331,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedove View Post
There’s more. There’s drunkenness, there’s small-time police corruption and there’s big-time miscarriage of justice. There’s venality in high places, a sloppy tolerance of community criminals and even the grimly unethical behavior of the law enforcement agencies charged with maintaining order"
That just about sums up where I grew up in New Mexico.

Seriously, I don't think this problem is exclusive to Maine or anywhere else. Small towns and rural communities all have their dark sides.

Until Maine towns start disappearing off the map due to vampiric infestation, I don't know that Maine is any scarier than any other state of the union.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,208,618 times
It's not necessarily the "remote locales." It's PEOPLE in general and HUMAN NATURE specifically. All things considered, I'd much rather live remote and leave when I feel like it than deal with the hogwash of a metro area. And I spent over 40 years north of the Mason/Augusta line.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:52 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,442,188 times
Default Same here......

yes, same applies in "Small Town, Texas" 45 minutes outside Houston. It's most assuredly the people, not the geography, in question. We are wanting to experience "the way life should be" as we raise our family, and are planning a summer 2008 move cross country. Can't wait!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM

48 posts, read 111,515 times
Default Move To Maine???

wow, do you believe everything you read??? i have lived in a small town in maine for years and the picture you paint deffinitely is grossly exagerated. i have also traveled the US and would attribute your (and Mr. Moores' ramblings) to areas such as alabama, georgia, louisiana and texas, also, from personal experience, to new mexico. Ii am originally from "away" and always found the people in this state to be very friendly and welcoming.
Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine