Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,177,941 times

Advertisements

Could be wrong, but they'll probably find the screw that did this was a loose one for many years.

Here's hoping they catch the crud. It's one thing to disagree with something, but quite another to nearly kill someone doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,696,035 times
I hope the national exposure (no pun intended)of this story helps the owner raise the funds to rebuild. Maybe Larry Flynt of Penthouse or Hugh Heffner could come up with a million or so to help the guy out. A nice steel and brick building might be the way to go.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 825,525 times
After reading the article and even though I don't agree with the idea of a topless coffee shop, if the fire was started by a person who just didn't like the place...I hope they catch him/her and prosecute to the fullest.

What kind of strikes me odd was the fact that 277K was invested, discussions had taken place to expand and make it more into a strip joint, yet the owner had NO insurance on such an investment????? I have seen comments of people wanting to now raise money for the owner and to build another place. Maybe it is my being a skeptic that raises a flag. Hope the police nail it down quickly though.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
After reading the article and even though I don't agree with the idea of a topless coffee shop, if the fire was started by a person who just didn't like the place...I hope they catch him/her and prosecute to the fullest.

What kind of strikes me odd was the fact that 277K was invested, discussions had taken place to expand and make it more into a strip joint, yet the owner had NO insurance on such an investment????? I have seen comments of people wanting to now raise money for the owner and to build another place. Maybe it is my being a skeptic that raises a flag. Hope the police nail it down quickly though.
Yes I too wondered why no fire insurance. Perhaps his liability insurance was too high to afford fire insurance. Think about the lady who won 2 million from McDonalds for a lap full of hot coffee. Then think of the law suit by the lady server who may have spilled a whole tray of hot coffee on her bare....you get the picture. I actually thought this is what the thread was about when I first read it not knowing there had been an actual fire!!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 PM

134 posts, read 515,411 times
Hmm new startup buisiness by just one of us "normal joes"... money put out to meet code, cover initial overhead cost, insurance etc etc etc ... I thought briefly of maybe some owner foul play but once I learned of no fire insurance quickly IMHO decided that malicious foul play was at hand......

Not buying the second shooter on the grassy knoll theory..... this was I am willing to bet just foul play and I hope they find the culprit(s) and they get the death sentance .... unless of course we as tax payers are willing pay for them to have 3 hots and a cot in prison for the rest of their lives... ahhh Mainers love taxes so sure the second option will be chosen LOL ... in case you haven't noticed this really is ticking me off on many many levels.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
Hmm new startup buisiness by just one of us "normal joes"... money put out to meet code, cover initial overhead cost, insurance etc etc etc ... I thought briefly of maybe some owner foul play but once I learned of no fire insurance quickly IMHO decided that malicious foul play was at hand......

Not buying the second shooter on the grassy knoll theory..... this was I am willing to bet just foul play and I hope they find the culprit(s) and they get the death sentance .... unless of course we as tax payers are willing pay for them to have 3 hots and a cot in prison for the rest of their lives... ahhh Mainers love taxes so sure the second option will be chosen LOL ... in case you haven't noticed this really is ticking me off on many many levels.
No death penalty in Maine.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:24 PM

192 posts, read 394,862 times
Alright I must ask. Was the food good?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post

at face value, i agree, but business owners get knickled and dimed to death, and im sure he went over budget rahabbing the place.(im sure he regrets it now)

Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 825,525 times
I don't disagree with any of the folks ideas here. I just find it hard to fathom someone who would invest that amount of money not carrying insurance. Especially when people were living in the building. Would anyone here build a home or buy one and not insure it, especially for a sum of that amount? I would hope not! Not only did he put his business in jeapardy, he put his family in a situation where a loss due to having no insurance could be devastating. But to go further, I am also hard pressed to think he couldn't afford the insurance, not since he was asking for a license to expand to seat 300 and be open as a club.

Also, don't businesses of that type, which I would maybe classify as a coffee shop, have to obtain licenses? Have to have safety features? Smoke detectors? AND insurance?

Please don't take my posts as condoning what happened, they are not meant to be. It could have been more of a tragedy if someone was hurt or killed. I just am going to wait and see the outcome before I make an opinion that it was a "hate" fire.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb3601 View Post
Alright I must ask. Was the food good?
Food?

The donuts were not cooked there, the donuts were cooked elsewhere and brought in.

They only 'cooked' coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine