Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times

Advertisements

I was just talking to Bydand on a direct message and it got me thinking I should share the fish stories form the spring with everyone.
Now I don't know if it's the fact that few people fish anymore, global warming has bred more trout, (sure) or I'm just a much better fisherman than I ever was in the past (most likely) but we have caught a lot of trout here in the Southern part of Maine this year and in places we only caught undesireable fish in the past. We have caught 3 and 4 pound brown trout in the Royal River in Yarmouth, and countless brook trout in every stream around the area! In fact I actually have been freezing them as we got tired of eating them every night! They have been mostly native brookies with beautiful color ranging in size from 10" to 14", excellent eating fish (my personal favorite ) and so good with fiddleheads! Whatever the reason I'm happy to see them back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
I don't fish for the last 20 years because this time of year I make most of my living. Except for the outlets, which have been kind of high, fishing has been super this spring. Ponds, streams and off the shore of the big lake! We are the headwater of the Kennebec. It holds the most species of game fish in the country.

Fishing the Kennebec River

We even pulled a record togue from Moosehead this winter.

Hope for state-record fish dries up - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/101529.html - broken link)

Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Nice to see the fishery back even a little. We were slow smelting from the shack on the Androscoggin last winter though just down stream from us the did real well.
There is a report that a massive school of pogies was spotted off New Jersey recently. Last time they were here they made for a messy summer for boating in Casco Bay and up toward Boothbay. They do bring in a lot of bluefish with them though!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
I have to laugh when the locals whine about how they don't eat togue, because "they're too greasy."

I grew up blue fishing, man. We ate 'em all the time!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
I have to laugh when the locals whine about how they don't eat togue, because "they're too greasy."

I grew up blue fishing, man. We ate 'em all the time!
Don't eat togue!! I love togue! We used to have a camp in Little Squaw Township and fished by the Greenville Junction alot in the winter. Also up by The Birches in Rockwood. We ate togue all the time.
Bluefish can be greasy. The secret(as you probably know) is to filet them and take the brown layer of meat off the top. Then we cover them with a layer of sliced lemon, thin onion ring slices and wrap them in aluminum foil and toss them on the grill. They are excellent! The kids loved it and if kids will eat it it has to be good! The last time the pogies ran thick around here we were catching 12 pound bluefish left and right! It was a blast! I caught one that was over 18 pounds. I'll have to see what I have left for steel leaders!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,342,746 times
Unless you're willing to share some of those trout, HUSH! I grew up eating rainbow trout fresh from the lakes and rivers, and I'm hoping hubby turns out to be a decent fisherman. For his going away gift, his men gave him two rods and reels and he has yet to get out there and even try to catch something. He was planning to go this morning, but decided that I couldn't drive myself to the chiro. Where was he yesterday when I had to drive home from the doctor after getting an injection in my arm?!?!?!?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,101,214 times
Maineah, what are you using for bait or lures? I'm getting back into fishing this year after two decades of not wetting a line, so I'm looking for tips.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Maineah, what are you using for bait or lures? I'm getting back into fishing this year after two decades of not wetting a line, so I'm looking for tips.
Night crawlers I pick up off the lawn! You gotta be quick to catch the suckers but I won't pay money for worms!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,513,276 times
We knocked them dead last week end, some nice rainbows, 15-16 inches, so that made me want a boat bad. so I am buying 14' skiff with a 15 horse motor to hit the lakes more this summer.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,432,292 times
Shock the buggas out of the ground:
1) 12 V battery or any electric motor
2) 2-20' lengths of #12 wire
3) 2 metal tent stakes
Solder each wire to the stakes-always best to solder them about 2" down so you can hammer them into the ground. Depending on how wet the ground is, you should place the stakes 1-2' apart.
Connect other end of wires to the + and - posts on the battery and up they come.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-30-2009 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine