Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,918 times

Advertisements

The only invisible line that I am concerned with is the Time Zone line. I would gladly drive a 1966 Volvo with 400 k miles if we could be in the Atlantic Time Zone. Then it wouldn't get dim/dark at 3:30 on a cloudy day. My dad used to tell me about this every year when I visited around the holidays. Now I can see what he was saying. If I get up at 10am, I only have a few hours of daylight left. I know, I know, get up earlier. But I would miss the late night talk shows. I know, I know, use my DVR. But yesterdays news is just late.

FWIW, I never heard of the Volvo Line until I got on this board over a year ago. And when I mention it to other relatives and friends around here, they haven't heard of it either. I've been out of ME for over 28 years so I have an excuse.

And another thing, I seem to know more about what's going on around ME than others around here due to what I read on C-D. They think I'm smaht or something.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
oh, I'm SO with you on the time zone thing!! I don't need daylight at 4 am in the summer! I'd rather have it get dark later! It's nutty.... but I think that most people who live on the edge of the zones probably feel the same way. It's just that our "edge" is 1/8th of a mile away....

Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
I wonder why Washington and Aroostook counties don't ask to be on Atlantic Standard Time. Indiana counties around Louisville Kentucky have kept strange time for years because the state line straddles the time zone. Dare to be different!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
We have the equivalent of the Volvo line here in Florida. It's the I-4 corridor that separates the demographics and lifestyles of Florida. In the last election, it was close (Florida) because the I-4 corridor that includes Orlando and Mickey World had changed demographics. North of I-4 the state tends to vote Republican, while south of I-4, especially the coasts tend to vote Democratic. That is a tendency to oversimplify, but the trend is there. Just to illustrate how different Florida is, look at all the coasts we have: Treasure Coast, Gulf Coast, Sun Coast, Gold Coast, Space Coast, First Coast, and finally Keys. Each of these areas are in the same state, yet different. I'm rambling here, but Maine isn't the only state that has different regions that are similar, but maintain their own distinct character. Not that one is better than another, just different.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Hey! No changing the time zone. I need to be at work at 4 am in the summer while it's cooler and daylight. You guys can close the curtains but I can't control the temperature.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
oh, I'm SO with you on the time zone thing!! I don't need daylight at 4 am in the summer! I'd rather have it get dark later! It's nutty.... but I think that most people who live on the edge of the zones probably feel the same way. It's just that our "edge" is 1/8th of a mile away....
On the other end of the eastern time zone it is light out until close to 10PM in mid June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Indiana counties around Louisville Kentucky have kept strange time for years because the state line straddles the time zone.
The Indiana counties near Cincinnati keep strange time too(Franklin, Dearborn, Ripley, Ohio, and Switzerland), mainly because so many people there work in Cincinnati, and all radio & local TV comes from Cincinnati, it's referred to as fast time/slow time. The eastern half of the state which is in the eastern time zone does not change to daylight savings time in the summer, so they are eastern time in the winter, central in the summer, except for the counties near Cincinnati that stay on Cincinnati time. The only way to know for sure what time it is in any given place is to check your cell phone.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM

163 posts, read 295,409 times
[quote=maine4.us;6765870]We have the equivalent of the Volvo line here in Florida. It's the I-4 corridor that separates the demographics and lifestyles of Florida. In the last election, it was close (Florida) because the I-4 corridor that includes Orlando and Mickey World had changed demographics. North of I-4 the state tends to vote Republican, while south of I-4, especially the coasts tend to vote Democratic. That is a tendency to oversimplify, but the trend is there. Just to illustrate how different Florida is, look at all the coasts we have: Treasure Coast, Gulf Coast, Sun Coast, Gold Coast, Space Coast, First Coast, and finally Keys. Each of these areas are in the same state, yet different. I'm rambling here, but Maine isn't the only state that has different regions that are similar, but maintain their own distinct character. Not that one is better than another, just different.

Don't forget us over here on the Emerald Coast. There are seven counties in Northwest Florida that went 70% red in the last election and we are also in the central time zone. I worked outside till 5:15 P.M. today.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Default ......we are three little lambs who have gone astray....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Threads are not closed in this forum due to disagreement, and the TOS states that VERY clearly. Threads are closed on this forum when they become something other than what was intended by the OP, when they don't apply to relocation or education concerning the state..... or when disagreements become personal in nature. It's members that cause threads to be closed, not mods.
I cant see that the time zones in Indiana and Ohio or the north and south of Florida....or even in Maine have anything at all to do with the OP, and/or anything to do with relocation or education concerning the state of Maine.....

Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Hey! No changing the time zone. I need to be at work at 4 am in the summer while it's cooler and daylight. You guys can close the curtains but I can't control the temperature.
well if you wernt so hot you wouldnt have to worry about the temperature.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I cant see that the time zones in Indiana and Ohio or the north and south of Florida....or even in Maine have anything at all to do with the OP, and/or anything to do with relocation or education concerning the state of Maine.....
I was responding to RMoores post concerning the Volvo line and the Atlantic Time Zone--it's directly above mine. Sorry you missed it.

Furthermore, I'm not a mod. If you feel something is off-topic you should report it as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine