Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:42 PM

87 posts, read 252,288 times

Advertisements

O.K. I will go up there and look. I must admit that I have never looked at the old Loring. And I must agree with you about the two Maine scenes. I was born in Presque Isle, was raised in Kennebec County, and then went away for forty years. When I renewed my old acquaintences in my home town it was a shock to see that the girls were in the same situations that they wre in, lo, fifty years ago. We never got beyond the 8 mile radius them, and now the limitation is the same. Having always been a mentor for teenagers, one at a time I found that the same was true with the city kids, too, but it was an eight block radius that was (is) the limitation. It is a sad thing that too many kids never get off the block. And that the schools and other institutions, including the Legislature, are stuck into that limited mentality themselves - limited to their own kind. There is no such thing as crossing lines, is there? No such thing as busses for the grandmothers in their thirties, to take them out of the state. No such thing as understanding that another life style is really a choice, or should be a choice, and might be just as full as another type of life style... . Just pride and the other p. I find it easy to cross those lines, but hard to find others who are willing to cross those lines. There is so much to say about all this, and so little space. So much to offer, and so few takers. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by Deborah Caldwell; 12-26-2008 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-26-2008, 06:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,125,541 times
Simply because some CHOOSE to not move far from their hometowns, does not mean that they are settling for less. That is where one huge difference lies regarding the Volvo line. Those of us above it, more often than not, understand that living rurally is a conscious decision. Although, to outsiders, it may appear differently.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,730,196 times
We moved away for 7 years and saved up enough to come home. As a friend once explained to me; "You got to go where it sux to make the big bucks." He was right. We are back where we belong. We came home 25 years ago. I hope we can ride this one out.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,405,747 times
It's a lifestyle choice. I choose to live here. There are other places where a dollar goes a bit further. There are places with services and amenities not easily accessed here. I would much rather live without some things and have privacy, space and peace. The economy's in bad shape everywhere unfortunatly, and I hope everyone makes it through the rough spots. I really never want to live anywhere else again. I'm not wealthy but I am content,.... (most of the time).

Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 AM

The term volvo line is a reference to living low, not living rural. Not living simple. Living a lowly life is what the volvo line refers to. It is a derrogatory term. It is a real term. It is discriminatory from both sides. Crossing the line with my mercedes was easy for me to do because I did not understand the rammafications of crossing the line and being recognized in a negative way.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Never fear, Deb. It isn't negative at all. You will be most welcome. It's just that it is immediately apparent that you are "not from around here" like the guy wearing Bermuda shorts and a bug net.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Oh dear. I really do fear. The problem is, Northern Maine Land Man, I really am from here. I was born in Presque Isle. I grew up in Kennebec County. My father's grandfather fought in the Civil War out of Millinocket. I went to a one room school with 9 grades. I went to the University of Maine. I went away, yes, but 'Not from around here" is too quick a presumption. It is a pre-judgement, commonly called prejudice, to put it in a word. O well. Most of us do not HAVE A CLUE . Especially the legislators, as Acadialion has pointed out.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:36 PM

Over time and following numerous trips to Augusta to testify on legislation, I have come to the conclusion that most legislators are a lot like jurors; plucked from society at random and not possessed of a lot of organizational skills.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,271,088 times
Maybe the Volvo Line was meant to be a comical fantasy, maybe it wasn't, but I can assure you that to many people it is a real deal that separates the US and from THEM. Which side is the us and which is them does not matter because the game is played on both sides.

For a while I just assumed that the Volvo Line was the magical point from where city living gave way to the rural country side. Something that exists in every state, except for maybe Wyoming and Montana.

Since the line is called the Volvo Line, that says a lot; since Volvos tend to be car of choice for the more affluent tree-hugger save-the-world-type. And in that light it is hard to see that it was ever really meant to be just a joke.

I guaranty you that if you talk to someone from Aroostook or Washington Co. and someone from Cumberland Co. (off line, of course) about what their opinions on the Volvo Line are that you would get some pretty heated ideas that it is not in fact, a joke.

What ever it's original intentions, it is used as a derogatory statement these days from both sides.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Maybe the Volvo Line was meant to be a comical fantasy, maybe it wasn't, but I can assure you that to many people it is a real deal that separates the US and from THEM. Which side is the us and which is them does not matter because the game is played on both sides.

For a while I just assumed that the Volvo Line was the magical point from where city living gave way to the rural country side. Something that exists in every state, except for maybe Wyoming and Montana.

Since the line is called the Volvo Line, that says a lot; since Volvos tend to be car of choice for the more affluent tree-hugger save-the-world-type. And in that light it is hard to see that it was ever really meant to be just a joke.

I guaranty you that if you talk to someone from Aroostook or Washington Co. and someone from Cumberland Co. (off line, of course) about what their opinions on the Volvo Line are that you would get some pretty heated ideas that it is not in fact, a joke.

What ever it's original intentions, it is used as a derogatory statement these days from both sides.

k-luv, ive asked this question, in both counties you mentioned,,,
both had a comical response ,,not derogatory,,,,the fella up north said theyve been in a different world up north since he could remember, and the woman i asked from washington county,,,,said,,,volvo line....we cant even agree on a "downeast" line,,,,all depends who you ask..

tho i do believe thier is some merit in what you stated,, yes, some do scoff at bark-eating tree-huggers,,, not because the intentions,,arent noble,,,but in rural maine,,they dont have the luxury of such concerns,,,when they are living paycheck to paycheck,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine