Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times

Advertisements

"It is a sad thing that too many kids never get off the block. And that the schools and other institutions, including the Legislature, are stuck into that limited mentality themselves - limited to their own kind."

We have a problem in our school systems. Students are not taught how our economic system works or what it takes to find their way in the job world. (Bear with me here. I know there are exceptions.)

Take an ordinary B/C student named Bill. He has been told numerous times by teachers and administrators that there are no opportunities out there. He has no idea that there are self starters to build their own jobs from nothing. Bill graduates from high school and sure enough he gets a few temporary and part time jobs and four years later he is living in an old trailer that ought to be condemned with his girl friend and her two kids. Susie had the same story, but she knew that if she had two kids and did not get married she could get $56,000 a year in government aid. There is enough there for Bill too and he does not have to work. That's the system as it exists.

Now take a Cambodian kid just off the boat. He speaks no English, but he wants to learn. He has somebody here to sponsor him. Four years later Chai has two jobs, a car and a house. He is married and has one child. What's the difference? Chai has known all his life that America is the land of opportunity. You can have anything you want if you are willing to work for it.

These patterns are indeed typical. We see them all over Maine. There is an old truism. I don't know where it originated. "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got." We can break the pattern Bill fell into. We can encourage the pattern Chai knew. We can be mentors for our young people. We can establish charter schools that actually prepare young people to be good citizens. We can defund schools that simply don't work. We can allow dynamic enthusiastic well educated adults to teach and pass on their valuable experience without having to sit through years of monotonous "education" classes with no real world relevance. We need to fix our schools. We can't afford not to.

By the way. Augusta's assault on rural schools in Maine is not the answer. No only would it drive families out of rural Maine, it would increase costs.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:19 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
tho i do believe thier is some merit in what you stated,, yes, some do scoff at bark-eating tree-huggers,,, not because the intentions,,arent noble,,,but in rural maine,,they dont have the luxury of such concerns,,,when they are living paycheck to paycheck,,
Why does rural Maine mean a blanket statement of paycheck to paycheck? Or low income? Or poor?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
I truly believe from what I have seen on the Maine forum that the Volvo Line defines the smallness of mind of people who cling to it.....on both sides of the imaginary line. In and of itself it may have some utility in describing rural vs. less rural......but that is questionable. The way it is used here is almost always intended to draw distinctions between some perception of positive virtue or character and the perceived lack of true virtue or character by those living on the other side.

It doesnt measure geography, it measures constrictions of vision. It wraps up a lot of clap trap romanticized ideas about the noble and humble farmer, the true Mainer....as opposed to some concept of "the other". It uses geo-economic differences to drive wedges and to marginalize some on one side or the other. As Rodney King said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
I agree with you MW, and that was part of what I was trying to say earlier. Those of us who live above the Volvo line understand that for most of us, it's a CHOICE to stay here, and that the perception of this part of Maine, and yes, it is RURAL, is not accurate. I was told in a DM not to long ago that children here (above the volvo line) are cold, hungry, and receive "less than stellar" educational opportunities. I was told this by someone who has NEVER lived in Maine!! Where did this inaccurate perception come from? Well, the time this person *has* spent here was/is below the Volvo line! Had more time been spent above it, more time invested in the reality, then maybe things would be different. Those of you who live below the line believe you know what it's like to live here, and that's the information that you share. Unfortunately, like the "living paycheck to paycheck" statement, or the "cold, hungry" statement, it's far too much of a generalization to be true. The problem with terms such as "volvo line" is that there is no way for such an idea to encompass all of the reality, and demonstrate all of the truth.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Why does rural Maine mean a blanket statement of paycheck to paycheck? Or low income? Or poor?
This is a good question! I can't speak for rural Maine but I think that there is a perception that it is like this in all rural areas. When we mention that we would like to live in a rural area, most of the response we get from people is negative. We hear so much stereotypical ideas of rural life. Yes, sure there are poor people living paycheck to paycheck in rural areas..........but there are also a lot of poor people living paycheck to paycheck in the city too (there are also a lot of "wealthy people" living paycheck to paycheck too)

some people can't even wrap their brain around the fact that country living is a good thing..........that people would actually CHOOSE to live "that way" (that's been said to me)

Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 AM

There are wise and educated people on both sides of the line. One major defining element is that those of us north of the line are not trying to tell those below what to do or how to live. That trait belongs to them. James Fenimore Cooper understood such things long before there were Volvos that made the line easier to define when he penned these words for Hawkeye:

"My father, Chingachgook, told me; 'Don't try to understand them and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense."

Last of the Mohicans

I call them penthouse environmentalists. They have absolutely no idea where their food or even toilet paper comes from. They are not like us. That's a good thing; and to answer elston's rhetorical question: Yes, we can get along as long as one people does not try to tell the other people how to live or worse, to disenfranchise and enslave them.

An actual Volvo driver once asked me, "What do you people want anyway?" I told him I was glad he asked and that I could answer his question completely with one word: Statehood.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are wise and educated people on both sides of the line. One major defining element is that those of us north of the line are not trying to tell those below what to do or how to live. That trait belongs to them. James Fenimore Cooper understood such things long before there were Volvos that made the line easier to define when he penned these words for Hawkeye:

"My father, Chingachgook, told me; 'Don't try to understand them and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense."

Last of the Mohicans

I call them penthouse environmentalists. They have absolutely no idea where their food or even toilet paper comes from. They are not like us. That's a good thing; and to answer elston's rhetorical question: Yes, we can get along as long as one people does not try to tell the other people how to live or worse, to disenfranchise and enslave them.

An actual Volvo driver once asked me, "What do you people want anyway?" I told him I was glad he asked and that I could answer his question completely with one word: Statehood.
"Oh would some power the giftee gie us
To see ourselves as others see us!"

I have felt absolutely smothered and buried in the advice and instructions from some of those above the so called line.....who lecture and instruct and criticize and flame anyone who doesnt bend a knee to their world view. I am sure it does flow both ways.....but the arrogance and hubris from above toward those of us who choose to live below ....is palpable and offensive. But then again, I am sure that is a minority of the folks who live in the north, as humility, respect and tolerance are qualities that are spread equally about.

Last edited by elston; 12-28-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
It's a lifestyle choice. I choose to live here. There are other places where a dollar goes a bit further. There are places with services and amenities not easily accessed here. I would much rather live without some things and have privacy, space and peace. The economy's in bad shape everywhere unfortunatly, and I hope everyone makes it through the rough spots. I really never want to live anywhere else again. I'm not wealthy but I am content,.... (most of the time).
I followed a career path that required a great deal of moving around.

I have owned homes on the East Coast and the West coast, as well as overseas.

There exist very few places stateside where you can find a lower cost-of-living than right here.

Not to say that they do not exist stateside, they do: Alkali desert and learn to cope with the environment, Death valley and learn to co-exist with the heat, Exhausted silver mine land. Such places do exist stateside.

It is hard to find an area where your dollar will go further, and still give you access to a public library, Police Department, FD, hospital, school system, etc.

As you already pointed out, right now the economy is bad everywhere.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 AM

Do not seek to be offended for you will find offense. Do what you want down there. Just don't try to control us. We don't try to control you.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 AM

I sold 80 acres to a merchant seaman who owns land in Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina and Costa Rica. Two thirds of the land was wet and would not pass a soil test, but that's where the deer are. The other third was nice high ground and buildable. It was on a paved road with power and phone. He paid $200 an acre. He could not believe it. He said there is nowhere else in the Western Hemisphere where he could buy wooded land with water on it for $200 an acre. How could this be possible?

Simple. He has very little opportunity to do anything on it except to build a camp or house. It met his needs, but few people want to buy property in an area with such limited economic opportunity on the land itself.

Land prices have gone up since then because Washington County lost a full 19 townships from development opportunities this year alone. Guess where the people who did this to us are from. I could give you a hint if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine