Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

We have a wretched mess coming.

"Tonight
Snow...sleet and freezing rain. Snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Ice accumulation of a tenth to one half of an inch. Early lows in the mid 20s then temperatures slowly rising. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Friday
Sleet...freezing rain and rain in the morning...then rain...freezing rain and snow likely in the afternoon. Total snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 7 inches. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Friday Night
Partly cloudy. A chance of snow and freezing rain in the evening. Lows around 14. North"

- - -

It has been a while since we have had a freezing rain event with up to an inch of ice accumulation on everything. Somebody will lose power and it will likely be widespread across Maine from Byron to Talmadge.

There; Look those towns up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,561 times
calling for everything here.... from 3am til 8am freezing rain.... give me the snow instead.
<crossing my fingers>

Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
let it snow, let it snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
calling for everything here.... from 3am til 8am freezing rain.... give me the snow instead.
<crossing my fingers>

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM

95 posts, read 336,417 times
So what you're saying is, I shouldn't do my land scouting expedition this weekend?

Jeez, we have our Gerry can, shovel, salt, and winter kit all packed in our Jeep, and everything!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
I don't know what to think of the weather here yet. I've been around Dover now for over a month. There has been quite a mixed bag of weather except any accumulation of snow yet. I went out on the Mule a couple nights ago and there was a nice layer of white on the ground where I followed a coyote's tracks down a long dirt road before it went in the woods. Also saw lots of deer tracks. When I got up the next morning, no snow. Rained all night. I had planned to go take some pictures of the different tracks I saw.

Last Monday morning, I got up and went right outside with my robe on to get the morning paper. I almost froze to death. I think it was 5 degrees and windy. My sister said that she bundles up to go get the paper.

I went to Bangor to get an oil change last week. They noticed that my coolant was "Califiornia" coolant. And my windshield washer fluid was frozen.

I had a hard time starting/keeping the engine running one morning. Gave it some gas and it was ok. Went to dealer and talked to the service tech. She said she had the same 1.8 turbo as mine. I was using premium gas. She said to switch to regular in colder climates. Seems to start easier now. And I never noticed, regular is cheaper than premium.

I just bought a snow shovel. I don't think I have ever bought a snow shovel.

I went into the local hardware store a few weeks ago. I asked what all those brushes and scrapers were used for.

Ok, I'm done for now. Can I expect any more surprises?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM

By Saturday you should be OK. Put a couple of fruit cakes in there and you should be able to survive for several days.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 AM

RMoore007,
What do you drive? If your vehicle is more than 3 years old you might just as well replace all your brake lines under the vehicle right now. Auto mechanics have had an economic boom ever since the State went to calcium chloride on the roads. It eats brake lines. Better to put in the $250 worth of stainless brake lines now than to wreck your vehicle when the brakes fail.

One more surprise; Don't buy the blue windshield washer fluid. Get Rainex. It makes it so easy to scrape any ice off that you can often just use your wipers.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
NMLM, it's a 2003 VW Passatt Wagon. It has the 1.8 turbo. I'll put the brake lines on my list. Calcium chloride, Rainex, stainless steel? What world is this? I did just get my rear brakes done this week too. They never mentioned my brakes lines. That kind of surprises me because they love to spend my money.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 AM

504 posts, read 902,536 times
Default new orleans

I have a brother who lives in New Orleans, La. and he is always bragging how it never gets below 55 degrees in the winter, Well he gives me a call this morning to let me know how it is Snowing there today, So I said it's below 55 today???
The locals are freaking out Down there i.e. canceling work for the day..

Al Gore eat your heart out!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have a wretched mess coming.
You're welcome! We are sending it over as fast as we can

Too bad it is turning into a mix with freezing rain, that is a huge pain. Here it was all snow. Just a couple miles north of me the monthly total so far for December is 35" with 60" for the season already. Aaaaarg, last winter in Caribou, and now they are way ahead of average here this year. Maybe somebody cursed me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine