Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times

Advertisements

We weren't here last year so not really sure what to expect.....one of the neighbors told me that there are 35 kids in this immediate neighborhood....so expect at least that.....and probably more....I am happy with that.....where I lived in California....there were almost no children on our cul de sac and few came in cars....so I would buy for 50 and maybe get 8 or 9.

Halloween was always such a big deal to me as a kid....going out to all the folks in the little town I lived in......when we later moved to the city....and the razor blades and ex-lax started happening...we didnt go door to door any more. If you have to take your candy to the hospital to have it xray'd it sorta takes the charm off.

But back to the OP, I have lots of Hershey bars and Kit Kats....5 bags full....I am ready for whatever comes to the door....I dont want to be the stingy new guy. (Our driveway is pretty long...I hope they don't stay away! I better carve a jack-o-lantern today to make it look festive and inviting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
DH is the Halloween nut in this house (I've always hated it) but he has a 4 hour drive back from Eau Claire later today so he decided to skip it this year.
WI is a State where they have very specific hours for T or T'ing, so by 7 PM it's over with anyway.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:14 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
I don't think I follow rules well enough for trick or treating on a certain day at a certain time. It's Halloween, it's 7:15 pm and I want candy!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:25 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I don't think I follow rules well enough for trick or treating on a certain day at a certain time. It's Halloween, it's 7:15 pm and I want candy!

Then don't move to the midwest, 'cuz most of the States around here have very rigid rules and times. If you were still on the street at 7:15, you'd be explaining why to the police.

The good thing about is that the kids are off the streets early enough so the adults who are at parties and getting drunk, won't run any kids over on their way to the next party or home.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
When I was a young teen in Cincinnati....there were three designated nights "Beggars Night", "Trick or Treat" and "Damage Night"! I still can't believe they institutionalized and named a night for vandalism...but they did. "Damage Night" was the night on which car windows got waxed, trees got toilet papered and sometimes worse. All the kids were very aware of the three different nights....I never did figure out the difference between "Beggar's night" and "Trick or Treat" and most people just told the "Beggars" to come back tomorrow on Halloween.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I was a young teen in Cincinnati....there were three designated nights "Beggars Night", "Trick or Treat" and "Damage Night"! I still can't believe they institutionalized and named a night for vandalism...but they did. "Damage Night" was the night on which car windows got waxed, trees got toilet papered and sometimes worse. All the kids were very aware of the three different nights....I never did figure out the difference between "Beggar's night" and "Trick or Treat" and most people just told the "Beggars" to come back tomorrow on Halloween.
Hmmm... I've never heard of this so I looked it up. Trick or Treating is allowed on Halloween (who knew!). You get treats on Halloween. I'm guessing this is allowed when October 31 falls on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Beggars' Night is the night for Trick or Treating when it's not allowed on Halloween. You beg for treats on Beggars' Night but might not get them. Telling a joke might help you get a treat. (A trick or treater walks into a bar....)

"Damage Night" also turned up Ohio in the first returns. Damage Night is October 30. It's an Irish holiday. It's the night for tricks and rebellion. I'm bummed now. I could have been egging houses last night and I missed it!

I'm sticking with T or T'ing on Halloween. Dictating fun on Halloween just isn't the way life should be.

Any ideas on how to scare the heck out of 10-11 teenagers when they show up tonight? T's friends are going to a few houses before they go back to F's house to have a party and carve jackolanterns. I'd really like to get them good but I haven't figured out how yet.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:42 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
Our trick or treat night was last evening from 6 - 8 PM - Daddy sat out on the porch with a bucket of candy and I lit the fire pit so he wouldn't get cold. He had a Halloween jesters hat on his head and was all bundled up - don't know where he got the jesters hat, it looked pretty funny on his head. Mensaguy and I stayed close by in case he needed anything. We had about 30 kids, which is a pretty good number for this neighborhood. It was a bit disconcerting for me to see some of my sons high school friends bringing their own little ones by the house for trick or treat. Signs of getting older.

Last edited by corgis; 10-31-2008 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
MW, lolololololol - hahahahahhahahaha

Sorry you missed out on the egging houses this year. Next year I'll send you a reminder notice!

Molly, thanks for the explanation of what the crabbypattys are! Sponge Bob was way before my kids time. Although I remember my nephews being into him a while ago. I never could get his name straight. I kept calling him Square Bob Sponge pants. They would get so mad at me. Although craPPypattys with sponge pants makes a little sense in an odd sort of demented way.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:51 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We won't be here so the little darlin's will have to go elsewhere!
We do have a little bowl of candy to leave out on the deck incase someone actually shows up.
I bet we haven't had a real trick or treater here in 10 years. We still buy some candy....just in case.
Hershey bars, 100,000 dollar bars, candy kisses and Reeses Peanutbutter cups .....just in case!!
At our house I'm leaving "Popcorn Balls". Emily picked them out. We too don't get the "kiddies" here. But just in case I leave a note and a bowl.

At the restaurant, will have "snicker bars".

You got some good treats there Maineah, I'd hit your house if I was closer.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We'll hand out plastic bags with candy and McCain Palin cards and stickers.
Never miss a chance.
Boy are you setting yourself up for an egging or what!!?? You're a brave soul NMLM.

Did you hear about the guy who wired his McCain sign in his front yard and some 9 year old kid got the shock of his life when he tried to steal it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine