Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM

107 posts, read 226,589 times

Advertisements

Oh I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve!!! I've been in Vermont a week now and am somewhat sufficiently recovered from the 2000 mile trek to head on over!!! Maine TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would LOVE to meet any and everyone who's around and available :-) Molly, Mainewriter, NMLM, Mainebrokerman, Bydand, 7th Gen, Starwalker, Forest, peachie, msina, etc. etc. etc. may even still be here for the big ya-ya gathering this summer!! WOO-HOO! Don't worry EL, I'll call you and put it on speaker phone so you won't miss a second if you're not here by then!

So, who wants to be a ambassador for their area? First stop Rumford....7th gen?? Suggestions?? I'm still debating whether to head North or South after Rumford....I think I will head to Portland and set up 'camp' there and then explore explore explore! Ok, fire away everybody! Where to stay? What to do? What to see?

Stacie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
Oh I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve!!! I've been in Vermont a week now and am somewhat sufficiently recovered from the 2000 mile trek to head on over!!! Maine TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would LOVE to meet any and everyone who's around and available :-) Molly, Mainewriter, NMLM, Mainebrokerman, Bydand, 7th Gen, Starwalker, Forest, peachie, msina, etc. etc. etc. may even still be here for the big ya-ya gathering this summer!! WOO-HOO! Don't worry EL, I'll call you and put it on speaker phone so you won't miss a second if you're not here by then!

So, who wants to be a ambassador for their area? First stop Rumford....7th gen?? Suggestions?? I'm still debating whether to head North or South after Rumford....I think I will head to Portland and set up 'camp' there and then explore explore explore! Ok, fire away everybody! Where to stay? What to do? What to see?

Stacie

Stacie,

WELCOME! You made it! Congrats!

I'm flying in to Portland Friday afternoon. If I can be of any help, please feel free to dm me.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Stacie,

WELCOME! You made it! Congrats!

I'm flying in to Portland Friday afternoon. If I can be of any help, please feel free to dm me.
Why in God's name would anyone drive all the way from Texas to see Rumford? Just curious.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Why in God's name would anyone drive all the way from Texas to see Rumford? Just curious.
Rumford has the largest falls, after Niagara, east of the Mississippi, Penacook Falls.
The AT trail crosses at points close to Rumford and some of the most challenging
Some of the best fishing and hunting in the state is in the area.
We have undoubtedly the best ski area on the east coast-Sunday River.
Beautiful mountains and wide open spaces.
Affordable land and low property taxes.
The list goes on and on.
Most importantly, I live here!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-27-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 PM

[quote=7th generation;3590901]Rumford has the largest falls, after Niagara, east of the Mississippi, Penacook Falls.
The AT trail crosses at points close to Rumford and some of the most challenging
Some of the best fishing and hunting in the state is in the area.
We have undoubtedly the best ski area on the east coast.
Beautiful mountains and wide open spaces.
Affordable land and low property taxes.
The list goes on and on.
Most importantly, I live here!![/QUOTE What Black Mountain??? And the biggest ugliest paper mill in the world! To each his own I guess!

Last edited by Maineah; 04-27-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
In Rumford, stay at the Madison Inn, just west of town on Route 2. Comfortable accommodations and fine food. Walk down to the river out back and see an eagle. I have stayed there many times and never been disappointed.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm not saying that Rumford is all that bad and you're right that area of the state is generally very nice. People who like where they live generally block out the bad and embellish the good. Like Lewiston for instance. Compared with other parts of Maine though it ...well isn't that prettiest part of the state that's for sure. It's really hard to overlook the paper mill, truck traffic, and noise in that area. I just wonder how someone picks Rumford out of all the places in Maine to visit as their "first stop" when coming all the way here from Texas over say Camden,Boothbay,Acadia National Park, especially this time of year before the tourists hit. Rumford?? Why??

Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In Rumford, stay at the Madison Inn, just west of town on Route 2. Comfortable accommodations and fine food. Walk down to the river out back and see an eagle. I have stayed there many times and never been disappointed.
I thought they converted that place to condos?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Wow, maybe the Madison Inn is no more? That would be a disappointment. On the other hand, they could have made part of it into condos or long term rentals. I hope the restaurant is still open. Great breakfasts too.

I was there one night and a guy had an ultralight on floats. He said it was making a funny noise and didn't have enough power. I looked at it and he started it up. He had one of his three propeller blades out of track. He adjusted it and offered me a ride. We went up the river, over by the Sunday River Ski Area and back. Nice flight.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Wow, maybe the Madison Inn is no more? That would be a disappointment. On the other hand, they could have made part of it into condos or long term rentals. I hope the restaurant is still open. Great breakfasts too.

I was there one night and a guy had an ultralight on floats. He said it was making a funny noise and didn't have enough power. I looked at it and he started it up. He had one of his three propeller blades out of track. He adjusted it and offered me a ride. We went up the river, over by the Sunday River Ski Area and back. Nice flight.
I checked the website...they don't even list a restaurant anymore. I think it's condos now. It was a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine