Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 AM

53 posts, read 93,996 times

Advertisements

Okay, here comes a question at which, some may laugh! I have to ask anyway. Trying to think ahead in regards to our move... Would an atv handle snow? I don't mean in the same capacity as a snowmobile, (zipping down the trail, etc.), but is it possible for it to handle deep snow and say, a run to town for supplies? Or will it just sink in the snow and you have to wait for the spring thaw? ROTFLMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,967 times
You can't ride an ATV on the snowmobile trails so it would be tough to run in town for supplies and ATV's are not good in deep snow.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,368,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanashunkaha View Post
Okay, here comes a question at which, some may laugh! I have to ask anyway. Trying to think ahead in regards to our move... Would an atv handle snow? I don't mean in the same capacity as a snowmobile, (zipping down the trail, etc.), but is it possible for it to handle deep snow and say, a run to town for supplies? Or will it just sink in the snow and you have to wait for the spring thaw? ROTFLMAO!
Where on earth in Maine are you planning to move to? Unless its out in the middle of the Allagash Wilderness, you won't have much of a need for an alternative source of transportation.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,883,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Where on earth in Maine are you planning to move to? Unless its out in the middle of the Allagash Wilderness, you won't have much of a need for an alternative source of transportation.
Even then, they keep some of those roads plowed as good as the public state roads. Others not so good but still plowed. There are some they don't plow at all, but you are not going to live there anyway so it doesn't matter.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM

139 posts, read 363,044 times
If I remember correctly THE ROAD in the allagash is a state road. Most of the secondary roads are dirt in the summer and plowed snow covered roads in the winter. Truely a majestic sight if you ask me! As for your original question of ATV's and access. They are very usefull for anything from hauling wood, gardening, mowing grass, etc. If you ask me they work very well in the winter as well. THE ROAD MUST BE PLOWED SOMEWHAT or else you will be stuck. You can also get tracks for ATV's and currently Yamaha, Polaris, and Honda offer quads with power steering so steering tracks is easier now than in the past. Good luck with your venture and don't forget that Northern Maine has streets, roads, and bridges just like the rest of the state. LOL!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanashunkaha View Post
you can try to run to town for supplies on an atv but you will end up with a thcket becouse your not suposto run them on the road more than a cpl hundred feet between trails.i would read maine's atv law befor you buy something www.maine.gov/ifw

Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Just a FYI. In the town of Van Buren every road has been designated an ATV access route except for the state roads. You can essentially ride your quad to town on a daily basis, get to town, buy your groceries and ride back. Pretty cool I think!!!

Last edited by Valley Living; 09-29-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,394,359 times
We bought one of these for our property in Dover. Maine's Interconnected Trail System (ITS) goes right through our property and is great for ATV/UV's but not so much in the winter. We are only a couple miles from town and can go there on this UV to get gas/groceries etc. or out to The Covered Bridge Restaurant or the Bears Den to eat. Or we can ride it down to Newport to get it serviced or buy accessories at the dealership there. I plan on getting a two seater for four people too. We also have a few older ATV's around and snowmobiles for the winter months also.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Those mule 610's are nice. I've been thinking about buying one due to size and utilility ability. I don't need speed as much. Is it quiet while riding or do you need earplugs like I did with my old Rhino.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:02 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,394,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Living View Post
Those mule 610's are nice. I've been thinking about buying one due to size and utilility ability. I don't need speed as much. Is it quiet while riding or do you need earplugs like I did with my old Rhino.
I haven't been on it yet. My sis just bought it a month ago. Ready for me to use when I get back there. I guess they're having a great time using it. Not sure about the noise. She bought the cover and a couple other accessories for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine