Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times

Advertisements

Has anyone any knowledge of the practicality of the Chevy Astro van, All wheel drive version, especially in dealing with winter driving?

My friend K has had one of those on his wish list for several years -- actually we thought about looking for one for down here, as a van for my business -- but never connected with one.

Other vehicles on the "short list" are:
Nissan Pathfinder LE (2002)
Honda CR-V LX (2003)
Honda Element EX (2006)
Suburu Forester 2.5 XS (2003)
Suzuki SX4 (2007)
Toyota Matrix XR (2007)
Pontiac Vibe (2006)

Yeah, these are actual vehicles that I have been kicking the tires of... he's gotta decide in the next couple of weeks... I will be buying it here, in NC for him and taking it out to KS to pick him, his stuff and the cat up and bring them back to NC for the move to ME.

thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:25 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,608 times
Clearly you should go for a Volvo. It is the popular choice in Maine!

I kid, I kid.

But I hear alot of good things about the Forester. Decent gas economy and the all wheel drive is a plus.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
Clearly you should go for a Volvo. It is the popular choice in Maine!
well, if the Volvo of today were like the Volvo of yesteryear they would likely be on the list, "the line" be ... ignored... LOL and the Volvo likely spattered with mud...

K had one, at one point, a well used, pre-owned one.. but not the "yuppie" attitude.
The forester is not one I have managed to see yet, it is on my list for tomorrow..

Old 01-20-2008, 09:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
If you don't need the volume of the Astro I would get the Subaru Forester. My wife has a Chevy 1500 AWD van. She needs the volume. It's great in the snow.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If you don't need the volume of the Astro I would get the Subaru Forester. My wife has a Chevy 1500 AWD van. She needs the volume. It's great in the snow.
thanks.. the Forester is not a certified used car so I am going to have to find out WHY tomorrow... and we don't have our eyes on a particular Astro... it would be useful at times but... we don't need the volume all the time and will have my Toyota pickup for "truck things."

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
thanks.. the Forester is not a certified used car so I am going to have to find out WHY tomorrow... and we don't have our eyes on a particular Astro... it would be useful at times but... we don't need the volume all the time and will have my Toyota pickup for "truck things."
I appreciate your input. Thanks!
A friend of mine at work has a Subaru Outback. She tells me that some of the Subaru parts are really hard for the mechanics to get at, so the labor is very expensive on repairs and maintenance. I don't know first-hand but you might want to ask and compare.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I have a GMC Safari which is the exact same thing as the Astro. It is the best vehicle I have ever driven in snow. With 4 studded snow tires on it, there isn't even a close second place finisher. I have driven most of the ones on your "short list." The big drawback to the Astro/Safari vans are the simple fact that they like their gas. I have never gotten better than 20 MPG on ours, it is very consistent going down the highway to hover between 18.5 - 19.5 MPG. With snow tires on the beast, there hasn't been a day I couldn't go where I wanted to because of the weather. I have driven into Caribou rolling snow like a plow with the front bumper/grill and it just kept going. Last 2 sets of snow tires I have had on it I haven't bothered with the studs. Winterforce tires and the Safari, and I'll be as comfortable on snow covered roads as anything out there.

Nissan Pathfinder LE (2002) - would be my 2nd pick, very good in snow.
Honda CR-V LX (2003) - One I drove was so-so
Honda Element EX (2006) - same class as the Honda
Suburu Forester 2.5 XS (2003) - 3rd pick, handles nicely in snow
Suzuki SX4 (2007) - never driven one
Toyota Matrix XR (2007) - never driven one.
Pontiac Vibe (2006) - bottom choice based on the 2 I have driven. Could be a number of factors, but neither was that good in the snow that I have had experience with.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
There are a lot of Subara Foresters around. Everyone I know who has one, loves it. I'm not even sure what some of the other cars you mentioned are. Sorry, I'm basically familiar with Chevys and Jeeps.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,219 times
I owned an Astro van for three years, and did not like it at all...we later bought a Forester which was much better in winter weather.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Toria, was yours an All Wheel Drive one? In 98 or 99 they changed their drivetrain to a better one that is MUCH smoother than the older ones. (The in-laws had an older one that stunk no matter the conditions.) Plus tires make or break them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: