Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:40 PM

111 posts, read 331,517 times

Advertisements

hello....planning on moving to mid maine spring of '09.....would be interested in your perceptions & comments of what the weather is like month to month....your specific/general comments would be useful for my research
thanks in advance
jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,473,873 times
Jim - the weather/ temp varies so much depending on the part of the state.
Would you please elaborate a bit on which part of "mid Maine" you are referring to? Coastal vs. inland? The term mid Maine also varies, do you have a specific area you are looking at?

Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,209,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim65970 View Post
hello....planning on moving to mid maine spring of '09.....would be interested in your perceptions & comments of what the weather is like month to month....your specific/general comments would be useful for my research
thanks in advance
jim
you can never tell from one day to the next.
as my dad use to say, go out sideand look up if your face get's wet its raineing,if it get's wet and cold it's snowing,

Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 PM

111 posts, read 331,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Jim - the weather/ temp varies so much depending on the part of the state.
Would you please elaborate a bit on which part of "mid Maine" you are referring to? Coastal vs. inland? The term mid Maine also varies, do you have a specific area you are looking at?

hello..thank you for the replies.....will i'm not exactly sure....but....my area of interest liet from approx athens to burlington and from milo to the bangor area....
best
jim

Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,696,035 times
From April to November there ain't much snow. From November to April the snow is usually up to a tall Indian's a**!
That's the scientific term of course.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,473,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
From April to November there ain't much snow. From November to April the snow is usually up to a tall Indian's a**!
That's the scientific term of course.
Scientific for sure, I remember hearing Marty Engstrom use that term from the top of Mt. Washington.

Jim,
The weather really is anyones guess. March is still winter in Maine. Spring time temps in April generally can range from 30* to 50*. You might still find snow on the ground in April in the woods. May warms up a bit, but can still be wet, gray, sunny or warm. Warm meaning anywhere between 40* to a few days in the 70's. (or high 80's) Early morning temps can be chilly until the sun gets high overhead.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,696,035 times
We took a ride to the White Mountains last weekend on the bike for something to do. There was still snow in many little valleys of the area and people hiking up with their skis.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,260,617 times
Aside from the obvious snow in the winter and no snow in the summer the weather is not consistent. It can be 80 one day and then 50 two days later. There could be some days in September when you will need to wear a jacket and some days in the following December when you can feel comfortable in just a t-shirt. It can be a nice warm summer day, then you go to the beach and it starts to rain (or a fog rolls in).

Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
But it's never in the mid-upper 90s for 60 days straight! We're already dying' down here!! (that would be steam coming off my head!!)

Old 06-18-2008, 11:39 AM

406 posts, read 1,655,973 times
Yuck El...that's just way too hot.

I found Maine's spring to be nice...especially since my expectations were so low from hearing so much about mud etc. Cape Cod's spring is lousy usually. Winds off the ocean and all. So, I loved April and May here. This is my second spring and I'm ok with the mud and the weird temps all over the place. Keeps ya guessing!

I will say Jim...you do need to stay positive and not let the weather "get you down" if you're going to live here. It's not all cocoa and fluffy mittens in the winter. It's hard work to keep up on the snow, and heat your home, and get around at times.
Then there's the bugs...Maine is a very buggy place...I had no idea it was so dern buggy here. Oh, and the snakes...I have a gazillion snakes here. At least. But I like them.

But, all that said, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I absolutely love it here! It's got it's good and bad...if you don't like cold and snow and nature this isn't for you. I would guess that you do though since you're considering moving here. =)

Did I mention the way the sun looks when it hits a fresh snow, and the horses are outside playing in it? Or the fall colors? Or the wind blowing the trees and that's ALL you hear? Or the feeling of sitting out on your patio in shorts and still seeing snow in the woods? Or seeing people outside after a storm walking their dogs...playing in the yard...or jumping on their snowmobiles?

I think you have to be pretty adaptable to live here if you weren't born in this region.

Even though I'm a New Englander, Maine's a different breed. I'm a wimp by Maine standards.

Oh, my town is a little northwest of Augusta...probably an hour and a half south of Bangor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine