Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM

111 posts, read 331,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Yuck El...that's just way too hot.

I found Maine's spring to be nice...especially since my expectations were so low from hearing so much about mud etc. Cape Cod's spring is lousy usually. Winds off the ocean and all. So, I loved April and May here. This is my second spring and I'm ok with the mud and the weird temps all over the place. Keeps ya guessing!

I will say Jim...you do need to stay positive and not let the weather "get you down" if you're going to live here. It's not all cocoa and fluffy mittens in the winter. It's hard work to keep up on the snow, and heat your home, and get around at times.
Then there's the bugs...Maine is a very buggy place...I had no idea it was so dern buggy here. Oh, and the snakes...I have a gazillion snakes here. At least. But I like them.

But, all that said, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I absolutely love it here! It's got it's good and bad...if you don't like cold and snow and nature this isn't for you. I would guess that you do though since you're considering moving here. =)

Did I mention the way the sun looks when it hits a fresh snow, and the horses are outside playing in it? Or the fall colors? Or the wind blowing the trees and that's ALL you hear? Or the feeling of sitting out on your patio in shorts and still seeing snow in the woods? Or seeing people outside after a storm walking their dogs...playing in the yard...or jumping on their snowmobiles?

I think you have to be pretty adaptable to live here if you weren't born in this region.

Even though I'm a New Englander, Maine's a different breed. I'm a wimp by Maine standards.

Oh, my town is a little northwest of Augusta...probably an hour and a half south of Bangor.
top of the day to you cape.....thank you for the words of inspiration !....yes i know i will enjoy maine....love rural areas and being remote....i am looking forward to seeing & exploring the area....winter time will hunker down & take care of keeping my cabin warm & cozy.....i use to stay in a pocono pa cabin for months on end especially in winter many years ago.....never lost the thought of how much i enjoyed the quiet & solitude of the woods and working for your keep so to speak....it will be interesting for sure....
all the best
jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times
You might want to read this weather blog especially if you are interested in the Bangor area.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times
It's been a very disappointing June this year. Here we are at June 20th and it "may" get to 70 but I'm not counting on it, as the rest of the week has been in the low 60s with showers and an hour or 2 of sun on "some" days.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM

103 posts, read 620,587 times
The weather in Maine sounds a lot like the weather in Scotland!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
It's been a very disappointing June this year. Here we are at June 20th and it "may" get to 70 but I'm not counting on it, as the rest of the week has been in the low 60s with showers and an hour or 2 of sun on "some" days.
Really?? Here in Freeport we have only had about two days of rain all month!
This week started off with some rain but even though they have predicted rain in the 90% probability range it hasn't happened the last three days. The fog burns off around noon and it's in the low 70's now as I write this. I told my DW last night that I'll take "rainy weeks" like this anytime.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 PM

37,459 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME-Evergreen View Post
The weather in Maine sounds a lot like the weather in Scotland!
Ack Aye.

I lived in Dunoon across from Grenock for about eight years, tis mighty near to Scotland weather.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,630,984 times
I loved Maine from Mid May until mid October. I may try to retire between there and my Texas farm. I lived in the Bangor area 2 years and remeber it snowing 6" the last day of April. Summer in Maine is just way too short and winter too long.

Having grown up in Texas right on the Gulf Coast and live close to there now I rarely ever experience snow or even freezing temps. I tolerated the weather fine, even getting off work at 0700 and having to scrape the windshield (never did that before in my life ... ha!) wearing just my hospital scrubs and a jacket. I didn't find there to be too much rain when there ... never had the frog stranglin' rains that are commonplace here. All in all I found Maine pretty darned pleasant in the time frame I mentioned above. Winter there is not like winter in Minnesota or Montana (I'm sticking with the "M's" here) in that it is not as severe. Just too long!

Did I mention I was there during the ice storm of '98????? Ha! Lesson learned ... have a cover over the bed of your truck!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:12 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
Winter begins in central Maine no later then late November- where is in Connecticut mid to late December. Sub zero weather is very common in central Maine from December- March.
Snowfall can easily top 100" a season.

USDA zone 5 (lowest temp -10 to -20)
Average high in January 27 low 10
Average high April 52 low 34
Average high July 78 low 58
Average high September 68 low 48
Average high November 44 low 30

Last Frost May 12 First Frost Sept 22 (About 135 frost free days)

Snow in April is common- though winter slowly begins to loosen its grip.
Summer is pleasant but short (3 months) Autumns are pleasant September -October- but by November a chill can set in-though days of Indian Summer-with mild conditions happen regularly.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,853 times
I am looking to work in Bangor mid august,any good references for rv sites close to town? Any info on the Hospital would be helpfull. tx

Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Last frost here isn't safe til late May/early June. First frost last year was September 6 and was a killing frost. Winter lows run between zones 4 and 5 right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine