Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
How the H&%$ do these people get their money
The same people who leave money to their pets in their wills give money to PETA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Many people don't know that a head honcho at PETA (Ingrid what's-her-name) once wrote open letters admitting that her ultimate goal was non-ownership of all animals. That is to say, for animals to be happy, none of them should be owned by humans, domestic or otherwise.

Well, I can see this to a point --- I think there are a lot of animals which should not be kept as pets, and a lot of people who shouldn't own any animal --- but I just wondered how many domesticated animals would simply and eventually go extinct if no person was interested in owning them? And wouldn't we lose something by not having any of these wonderful creatures around? Then again, preventing abuse of all animals seems impossible to achieve. This begs about a million questions that there are no clear answers for.

The older I get the more sympathy I have with living creatures of all kinds, possibly because I feel ol' Father Time breathing down my neck and know that every form of life will fight to live rather than the reverse. Yet there are limits and practical considerations as well. Tough subject.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Many people don't know that a head honcho at PETA (Ingrid what's-her-name) once wrote open letters admitting that her ultimate goal was non-ownership of all animals. That is to say, for animals to be happy, none of them should be owned by humans, domestic or otherwise.

Well, I can see this to a point --- I think there are a lot of animals which should not be kept as pets, and a lot of people who shouldn't own any animal --- but I just wondered how many domesticated animals would simply and eventually go extinct if no person was interested in owning them? And wouldn't we lose something by not having any of these wonderful creatures around? Then again, preventing abuse of all animals seems impossible to achieve. This begs about a million questions that there are no clear answers for.

The older I get the more sympathy I have with living creatures of all kinds, possibly because I feel ol' Father Time breathing down my neck and know that every form of life will fight to live rather than the reverse. Yet there are limits and practical considerations as well. Tough subject.
I feel the same way. I probably should have shot my lemon dog that has bitten everyone in the family multiple times by now but I just can't seem to get by the fact that he seems happy in the world and he really doesn't hurt anything if you just give him his space. We lock him up in the barn when there are a lot of people around or kids but for the most part he's mellowed with age and doesn't snap as much as he used to.
It's sad to see but I also know if there were small kids around here I would have to put him down for safety's sake.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Don't even get me started on PETA. Have had dealings with them in past and its best to just ignore them. As for where they get their money, its the old saying "there's a sucker born every minute".

Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Then again, preventing abuse of all animals seems impossible to achieve.
Actual cruelty to animals should never be tolerated by anyone - including the folks at PETA who profess to love animals to the point where their ideas would in effect constitute cruelty of sorts if allowed to take place.

At present DW and I are involved in just a small project to prevent cruelty to people - young 'uns - and although animal cruelty is a serious matter, to ignore man's inhumanity to man is in our view even more important.

Animals who "belong" to a human usually live a happy life and meet with a humane death. Usually. Not so with too many humans, especially those too young and small to fend for themselves. Their young lives are not happy and their deaths are not humane, nor quick.

Sick minds conceive sick ideas. It's sad when it happens to an animal. It's tragic when it happens to a person, especially a child. If these PETA folks put half - just half - of their energies into preventing child abuse, the world would be a MUCH better place!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
... Sick minds conceive sick ideas. It's sad when it happens to an animal. It's tragic when it happens to a person, especially a child. If these PETA folks put half - just half - of their energies into preventing child abuse, the world would be a MUCH better place!
But the lives of animals are far more important than human lives, aren't they?

Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Every time I read about or see an animal that has been abused I wonder how horribly the abuser is treating a person. We've rehabbed a lot of animals. A horse was tied to a tree on a six foot lead and beaten to break her spirit so that she wasn't too much for a young girl to handle was our worst. Her owner went to prison but not for what he did to GiA. Evil people tend to think shooting animals with BB guns, beatings and tormenting are appropriate punishments for bad behavior. When I was a kid my dog was shot with BB's in our yard. I remember how long it took to find some of them. They were infected. We'd been told BB's never break the skin and not to worry. We learned the hard way. The boy who did it ended up in prison. One of the things we've been told by folks who work in rescue and rehab is to pay attention to the people who abuse animals. There's probably human abuse happening some where in their lives.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
But the lives of animals are far more important than human lives, aren't they?
No, IMHO, they are not. And forest, I know you're just being sarcastic!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM

112 posts, read 283,350 times
When I saw the title , I started to get all excited , just think , Top models and Movie stars , coming to Maine to stand around Naked with just a covering of SeaWeed .
With My participation in the Massachusettes Sportsmen's Council , I do know where and how they get there money and what there ultimate goal is , but that is not a subject for a open forum .
If You want to see how wacky they are , check out
www.animalrights.net
Bob

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Every time I read about or see an animal that has been abused I wonder how horribly the abuser is treating a person. We've rehabbed a lot of animals. A horse was tied to a tree on a six foot lead and beaten to break her spirit so that she wasn't too much for a young girl to handle was our worst. Her owner went to prison but not for what he did to GiA. Evil people tend to think shooting animals with BB guns, beatings and tormenting are appropriate punishments for bad behavior. When I was a kid my dog was shot with BB's in our yard. I remember how long it took to find some of them. They were infected. We'd been told BB's never break the skin and not to worry. We learned the hard way. The boy who did it ended up in prison. One of the things we've been told by folks who work in rescue and rehab is to pay attention to the people who abuse animals. There's probably human abuse happening some where in their lives.
Excellent post, Mainewriter! I agree, those who are cruel to others, be they animals or humans, were once abused themselves. It is a vicious cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine