Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 06:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
You know you're in Maine when you don't have to pay for gas before you pump it.

You know you're in Maine if your car slides into a ditch on a snowy day, and the next 4x4 pickup that comes by stops to help pull you out of the ditch.

Italian refers not to nationality, but one of the best Sandwiches in the nation. (Ham, Cheese, Sour Pickles, Green Peppers, Olives, Chopped Onion, Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Salt, and Pepper, makes my mouth water just thinking about it)

You know you're in Maine when you've got a slow vehicle driving in front of you, and it doesn't bother you, because you wanted the excuse to drive slower anyway so you could take longer to admire the scenery.

You know you're a Mainer if, no matter how good a trip is, the best part of the trip is seeing the big sign after the bridge that says "Welcome to Maine."

You know you're from Maine when you know what a '5 and dime' is. You have fond memories of J.J. Newberries (anyone else miss that store chain) and Ames (my Grandmother always pronounced it "Amesiz")

You know you're in Maine when you can drive 50 miles, stop at a traffic light, and it will be another 50 miles or so before you see another one.

All of these previous posts are really making me homesick for Maine. I can't wait for Thanksgiving break! A whole week back home. Let's see, besides the usual Thanksgiving food on Turkey Day, I'm making sure I get a few Italians, and some Chinese food. A LOT of Chinese! That is one of the foods I have missed the most, is the Chinese food. Anyone that's eaten Chinese food in Maine their whole life and gone south knows there is no comparison as far as the quality is concerned. It just tastes like crap in comparison!
Very nice post! Thanks for sharing and getting me smiling so early this morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:03 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
I miss J. J. Newberry. It was where I was introduced to my love of tacky stuff.

Zayres? Britts?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM

454 posts, read 886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I miss J. J. Newberry. It was where I was introduced to my love of tacky stuff.

Zayres? Britts?
Wow!...J.J. Newberry's and Zayres!...blasts from the past...
I used to work at Zayres...in the back, I ran the lunch counter. Best 50 cent hot dog this side of the.....
well, this side!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
You know you live in Maine when....

you go to your best friend's house, even though he doesn't own it anymore because he's gone, and a horrible devil woman owns it.... but she has gone back to her dark cave halfway across the country... anyway, you go to this house, and you see certain things and think, hmmm, it's too bad that's there not being taken care of.... or used, and it used to be his, so you take it. And everyone who drives by knows *who* you are AND *what* you're doing, and they smile and wave

Not that I have ever done this mind you, especially not today, but in Maine, it could....

Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
You know you live in Maine when....

you go to your best friend's house, even though he doesn't own it anymore because he's gone, and a horrible devil woman owns it.... but she has gone back to her dark cave halfway across the country... anyway, you go to this house, and you see certain things and think, hmmm, it's too bad that's there not being taken care of.... or used, and it used to be his, so you take it. And everyone who drives by knows *who* you are AND *what* you're doing, and they smile and wave

Not that I have ever done this mind you, especially not today, but in Maine, it could....
???

Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???
This is one of those "the less you know, the better" moments!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
probably....

Old 10-19-2008, 04:14 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
wish I could rep you again Molly, gotta spread it around.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:09 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
You know you live in Maine when you get up at dawn, stumble to the kitchen to make coffee, look out the window and a moose is standing there looking in.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You know you live in Maine when you get up at dawn, stumble to the kitchen to make coffee, look out the window and a moose is standing there looking in.
IF ONLY...

I think we may have been visited by a passing moose the other night. When we got up, K asked me if I had been walking in the garden. I was confused until he showed me that something had made tracks from South to North across the plowed field (NOT me, I had walked but in the other field) but when he went out to look couldn't make out the tracks. Said it was BIG though...just wasn't sure if it was horse or something else. Bigger by far than deer... appeared to have been running.

Today when we were out mowing, he spotted droppings on the grass, near the tall weeds, on that side of the house. Asked me if they were moose.. now, y'know, I have no experience identifying moose sign so I took a picture, figured I'd send it to MW to see if it matched what her moose is leaving, but I haven't downloaded yet.

Whatever it was, it came through before dawn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine