Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,681,341 times

Advertisements

Hey forest! Glad to see you're still with us! We were worried about you for a while there. I guess if you have had flood training when your only other option is to displace all of your breathable air with sea water, knowing you'll at least be able to breathe no matter how high the water gets would be a relief. Many of us land lubbers would not have handled the situation with the courage and grace you have demonstrated. Should you find you have any immediate needs please let us know. I'm sure we can help you out. Hopefully you and everyone else in the flood will be eligible for some disaster relief. You all very much deserve it . In the interim remember you have lots of friends here who are more than willing to lend you a hand. Please let us help if we can. I can be in Argyle in about two hours with a pick up full of anything you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Hey forest! Glad to see you're still with us! We were worried about you for a while there. I guess if you have had flood training when your only other option is to displace all of your breathable air with sea water, knowing you'll at least be able to breathe no matter how high the water gets would be a relief. Many of us land lubbers would not have handled the situation with the courage and grace you have demonstrated. Should you find you have any immediate needs please let us know. I'm sure we can help you out. Hopefully you and everyone else in the flood will be eligible for some disaster relief. You all very much deserve it . In the interim remember you have lots of friends here who are more than willing to lend you a hand. Please let us help if we can. I can be in Argyle in about two hours with a pick up full of anything you need.
I do appreciate the offer, thank you.

As for public 'disaster relief', nobody died here; and while I do not know yet the total sum of property damage. So far we have lost three laying hens, $18 of fuel for our fire pump, $34 for a replacement network router, and $24 in replacement plumbing. Our hens have been stressed enough that they have pretty much stopped laying [but our refrigerator is full so I am glad].

I think that it is just going to take elbow grease to clean up and to fix things.

We are looking at this as an adventure, and a few stories to tell.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,681,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do appreciate the offer, thank you.

As for public 'disaster relief', nobody died here; and while I do not know yet the total sum of property damage. So far we have lost three laying hens, $18 of fuel for our fire pump, $34 for a replacement network router, and $24 in replacement plumbing. Our hens have been stressed enough that they have pretty much stopped laying [but our refrigerator is full so I am glad].

I think that it is just going to take elbow grease to clean up and to fix things.

We are looking at this as an adventure, and a few stories to tell.
Your optimism is infectious! The offer stands. Good luck in drying out and keep us posted. I look forward to the photos!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Your optimism is infectious! The offer stands. Good luck in drying out and keep us posted. I look forward to the photos!
Yes, indeed it is... and it is not just for the written word on the page either. When we stopped by the day after the "great chicken rescue" they taking their breakfast outside while the pumps worked away inside, enjoying the day, planning and hunting eggs.

But I think it is more than "just" optimism... I am sure his military training figures in, but more than that, it seems just practical... there is no percentage in focusing on what has befallen and what cannot be changed.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM

My Dw took some photos the other day.

Here are the kayaks tied up. When I tied them here, the water was still twenty feet away.

This first one looks like before I swam out to un-tie the kayaks. Below the kayaks five feet is the stake marking last year's high level. This was before the river got too high.

Another view of our kayaks, this time taken from our parking lot.

I am not sure why a photo of our doorstep is important but here it is. We have black stepping stones, so that normally during the mud-season we can avoid the muck. Later we stacked concrete blocks on top of these to form a path to dry land.

The front of our house. Our first placement of blocks to use as stepping stones, submerged. You can see where part of the path is above water and the rest is 'gone'. I had to repeatedly add more concrete blocks, to maintain a path so Dw could go to work.
Also notice how close my Dw's car is to the water. She did not want me to move it. When the front tire was in the water, she finally agreed to let me move her car.

I had not realized exactly how messy our front yard was:

Route 116 a couple miles South of us:

This is the top of our goat sheds:

Taken from our parking lot, Anne and I go paddling out on 'Operation chicken rescue'

An unhappy rooster being released from his rescue:

Anne doing something:

Concrete block is a stepping stone on top of our normal stepping stones, a firehose leading out the front door pumping water, and the rising water is lapping at the threshold. Maybe only a 1/4 inch layer of water flowing in at this point.

Anyone home?

I took this from a kayak, at about the location of our embankment, which marks last year's high level.

The rear of our house, lean-to chicken coops and a walk-in chicken coop.

And the front of our house.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times
Oh My Goodness!! It looks like a house boat! What an awful situation. I'm glad you are all okay and hope there's not a lot of damage.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM

566 posts, read 1,418,534 times
I hope that if ever I am in a similar situation, I can react with the grace, wisdom, patience, courage and fortitude that you did Forest. You seem to be the type of person that most of us would want for our friend and neighbor.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstlouis View Post
... You seem to be the type of person that most of us would want for our friend and neighbor.
Thank you.

I may be delusional however I think that I am your friend. I think that I have a few friends on this forum.

I know that I am the neighbor of a bunch of folks here on this forum as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,406 times
Geez, Forest - Never a dull moment, huh?

Glad you and yours are OK and drying out

Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 PM

444 posts, read 929,407 times
Forest, do you think your radiant floor tubing is all right? Sorry you and your family are having to go through this I do not like it when bad things happen to such good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine