Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The camel's nose is already under the tent. There will be a cashless society created during this century. The RFID technology will be the centerpiece.
2012 is on the way people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Whose fault is this RFID chip technology anyways? Probably Wal-Mart's.

There is a conference coming up next week in Las Vegas. Quite a list of attendees here. RFID Journal LIVE! 2008 | and speakers here. RFID Journal LIVE! 2008 | Conference Speakers

My first reaction is to be a little paranoid but there's probably more good than bad to come out of this technology. Like what msina referred to with the medical applications. But I'm not taking any chances, I might just have to hide from the chips whenever I can. And get that cool wallet too.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Whose fault is this RFID chip technology anyways? Probably Wal-Mart's.

There is a conference coming up next week in Las Vegas. Quite a list of attendees here. RFID Journal LIVE! 2008 | and speakers here. RFID Journal LIVE! 2008 | Conference Speakers

My first reaction is to be a little paranoid but there's probably more good than bad to come out of this technology. Like what msina referred to with the medical applications. But I'm not taking any chances, I might just have to hide from the chips whenever I can. And get that cool wallet too.
What's the proper dip for RFID chips?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Skoal or Copenhagen.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Skoal or Copenhagen.
I was thinking Clam or French Onion actually!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
What's the proper dip for RFID chips?
Must be some type of oil.........like water off a duck's back.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:49 PM

259 posts, read 704,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Other countries are also using this technology Emu.

The Food and Drug Administration in the US has approved the use of RFID chips in humans.[67] Some business establishments have also started to chip customers, such as the Baja Beach nightclub in Barcelona. This has provoked concerns into privacy of individuals as they can potentially be tracked wherever they go by an identifier unique to them. There are concerns this could lead to abuse by an authoritarian government or lead to removal of other freedoms.[68]

Radio-frequency identification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have read that it can be useful in people with medical conditions as their medical information is encoded on it.
Yeah, that is crazy. Potentially there will be no where to avoid it and that's the real problem right there. Real ID will be with us by Dec 31 2009. Then this soon I'm sure. Every rose has its thorn- this seems to have way too many thorns.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
Yeah, that is crazy. Potentially there will be no where to avoid it and that's the real problem right there. Real ID will be with us by Dec 31 2009. Then this soon I'm sure. Every rose has its thorn- this seems to have way too many thorns.
Unless they're injecting you with it why worry?
Just leave it home!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When a price tag has a RFID chip in it, that may get great for the check-out process. A one-time usage, speed and security way of looking at it. What happens when those same chips come back into the store again and again?

Like the 'magnetic security strips' already in use. I collect them. I carry a bunch of them transferred onto a business card in my wallet. Some of them have been turned 'off', some of them have not been turned 'off'. Scan me and you can get back a wide variety of information from a bunch of those things. None of it is 'personal data', so who cares?

In the early 1980's when we first got our CCs with magnetic strips on them, I wiped the magnetic data off mine. It made the cashiers enter the numbers by hand, or use the paper receipt machines. It was our form of civil disobedience, we never told the cashiers.

These technologies will march onward, if the system sees no resistance. If their usage sees no resistance it marches faster.

Now buying vehicle fuel is done without a person at all, you just swipe your CC in a slot, so to magnetically clean off the data from the CC strip would today be senseless. And in a week you get a new CC in the mail [I know, I have tried it].

So I collect the security tags. Make the store employees look in my bags and check my receipts. Or better yet; when I have nothing in my hands and the alarms go off at the door of a store. Want to search me? have fun, I may giggle. I have never been searched in those circumstances.

If we have any desire to slow the march of RFID chips being on every package, then we need to populate our persons and the stores with RFID chips from items that have already been purchased.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM

182 posts, read 490,904 times
Random items:

Grocery store in Mass just before we moved implemented self scanning of groceries. You picked up a personal scanner and scanned your items while shopping and when done handed the scanner to the cashier who rang up your order in one bleep.

The thing the cashier uses that deactivates the security strip hidden in your product at the cashiers counter, it will close a stapler left on the counter. No wonder they blank your CC if you're too close.

I hide security strips underneath my Dr. Scholls

I have a collection of those loyalty shopping discount cards , the type mostly used by grocery stores for sale pricing, all are from other people, either found or obtained. My MIL dead 3 years still shops at Shaws on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine