Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM

513 posts, read 897,058 times

Advertisements

How does everyone feel about their job? Do you feel that Maine has opportunities for good jobs or do you think we take what we can get and deal with it. I've read posts about people moving to maine and one of the top questions is "Hows the job market". What better way to answer that question by listening to the people who actually work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:55 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
How does everyone feel about their job? Do you feel that Maine has opportunities for good jobs or do you think we take what we can get and deal with it. I've read posts about people moving to maine and one of the top questions is "Hows the job market". What better way to answer that question by listening to the people who actually work here.
I love mine! I haven't worked in 10 years!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I am on pension [technically I am on a retainer, if my employer wants me back, they only need to call me, and I must respond. In fact I would respond with bells on], I like my pension. My pension goes up each year with a Cost-of-living raise. My employer also continues to provide health coverage for me and my family.

My Dw is working. Her employer transferred her to a location up here near our new home, so that she could continue her career. Since moving to Maine she has gotten a couple pay raises.

We are building our home and farm; and our farm income is rising. We anticipate our farm income to continue rising every year for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM

104 posts, read 387,774 times
I love the company I work for. They offer excellent benefits, decent pay, and are always looking for ways to support the employees. Free Thanksgiving dinner, free flu shots, great discounts at various retail stores, discounts at Sea Dog games, Portland Pirate games, Magic of Christmas at the PSO, and employee discounts on the computer I am typing on. This is just a small sample of what they do for us. I do drive almost an hour to work but it's worth it. Even with the high gas prices. I bought a Honda Civic and I get decent mileage.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:47 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineL View Post
I love the company I work for. They offer excellent benefits, decent pay, and are always looking for ways to support the employees. Free Thanksgiving dinner, free flu shots, great discounts at various retail stores, discounts at Sea Dog games, Portland Pirate games, Magic of Christmas at the PSO, and employee discounts on the computer I am typing on. This is just a small sample of what they do for us. I do drive almost an hour to work but it's worth it. Even with the high gas prices. I bought a Honda Civic and I get decent mileage.
My employer offers free flu shots too.

They also offer a thing called 'Space-A'. They have a few airplanes, and anytime that any of their planes is going somewhere if there is an available seat [known as space available], then I can jump onto that flight for free [and once at that location, pray for a return flight].

I once rode in a eight seat Lear jet, for free. Though more often I have been in very loud cargo planes with the seats bolted in backwards.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM

513 posts, read 897,058 times
How long do you think is a reasonable and fair amount of time to work for a company as a temp employee before they should hire you. What is long enough for a trial period before you put your foot down and say either make me permanent or I'm walking. Temp employees don't get the same pay or benefits as the permanent ones so they try to keep you on temp status for as long as they can get away with it, dangling the possiblity of hire.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
in many ways i like my job,,,
we make judgements by comparisons,, the job im doing now is much better and cleaner the jobs i had when younger (worked on a farm,,,on a lobster boat, and in a slaughterhouse) very hard labor jobs,,,,
i worked two or three jobs for many years,,,, never looked for a hand-out or wasted my time complaining...
doors of opportunity did open up...i stepped thru them,, worked my way up thru a well-known company in maine, then was recruited by another company, that offered weekends off, (having a new baby at the time, i took it)

ive always believed, if someone is dependable, a self-starter, had self respect and respected others,............ there is always work,,,and a good paying job.
sometimes you gotta just get your foot in the door for a while,,

i do believe, attitude is everything, id much rather have a person(working for me) with a good attitude that needs technical training than a well trained,, drama queen or king..(oh poor me, for everything attitude)

i have a very unique job, get to consult with small business owners from all over the state,,,put on training seminars, consult with new business development,,
i get to meet folks from all over maine, drive to small towns,,,say hi to "strangers" everyday, and i find mainers very very friendly,

if i had to do it over again,,i think id be a pharmacist,,(always in high demand)

Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
We are told by those in the know that the medical fields are very open. There is also a shortage of EMTs and Police Officers in many areas, if not all. Just my two cents! That's all I know!! Two cents worth.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
How long do you think is a reasonable and fair amount of time to work for a company as a temp employee before they should hire you. What is long enough for a trial period before you put your foot down and say either make me permanent or I'm walking. Temp employees don't get the same pay or benefits as the permanent ones so they try to keep you on temp status for as long as they can get away with it, dangling the possiblity of hire.
Hi mainesnowflake,
There is generally a contract between the temp agency and the company of at least 8 - 12 weeks. Therefore the company can not hire you directly until the contract is fulfilled. If the company likes you and your work skills they can then hire you directly. This way the temp agency is assured that they have made some money, and the company is assured that you meet their work requirements. Of course it's cheaper for the company to keep you on as temp status as you have mentioned, no benefits and less $$$. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
I agree with what Mermaid said.
And while there's a chance of getting a job offer after being a temp for awhile, some companies aren't replacing or hiring permanent employees. They're just hiring temps as needed. Rather than give up the temp job, you might be better off to continue job hunting on your own and not stop temping until you get a good permanent job offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine