Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM

233 posts, read 418,389 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of going to a technical school and then moving up to Maine. Are there any certain jobs that are needed up there? I was thinking of doing HVAC, but I can only find one job opening in the whole state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 PM

52 posts, read 204,808 times
OK, this is going to sound dumb, but enlighten me, what is HVAC? After I know the answer to that, I can help you a lil more...thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM

134 posts, read 515,411 times
Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning = HVAC ;-)

Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Wow, yeah, that makes me feel pretty dumb right there. I thought that is what it was but I usually work on cars, and didn't want to mix one thing up with another. There are alot of older people and older generation houses way up north, not much construction going on, and most of hte market up there is cornered by mom and pops businesses who everybody trust because its 3rd, 4th ect generation. In the southern part of the state, they are starting to get more and more houses up, and slowly coming along. You know theres always going to be a need for the heating ,and even the cooling, but probalby best bet is bangor down, even augusta down. HTH

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
The medical fields are wide open. DH has been told by those doing the hiring that they can't get enough EMTs. I'm sure techs in hospital positions are pretty much needed as well. Not exactly the same as HVAC, but it is a technical skill. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:44 PM

I agree, medical field jobs are easily available, too many aging citizens and not enough people to take care of them. Medical transcriptions, medical administrations, EMT's are always making big money all over the state. Auto repair/diesel repair are also big, the state has a lot of truckers who wreck vehicles or just break em from driving them hard.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 37,547 times
What do EMT's bring in??

Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,725,854 times
I cannot imagine an EMT makeing "Big Money". maybe ok money if you went to paramedic school but still, with that kind of comittment why not just go become a nurse and then really make "Big money". there are many jobs for HVAC. My dad did it for 35 yrs in Ma and they really do make huge money down there. Up here its been a long struggle to make what i would consider good money for a trade ($20 + dollars) and i still think probably the average pay here in central and southern maine would be $15hr. And I hear its not an easy thing to get now. its sort of like getting you electrician license or plumber license...if thats true that should put more demand on the job and raise the pay.

Sounds like maybe you need career advise so I am going to give you the best advise I know. Do what you love. If you love hvac type work then do it, eventually you will make a good living. And will you always get up and enjoy going to work and you will do your work well.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
No, EMTs don't make "big" money anywhere in the US that I know of. It's definitely a calling! They do only work 10-12 days a month, however, and get almost as much overtime each week as they do regular pay. That leaves plenty of time each month to work other P/T positions, which most of them do. I think in most places, the guys hold 2-3 different jobs. DH works for 2 different cities, plus the fire department in our town on a per-diem basis and still only works about 15 days a month. We live on his salary exclusively and get a small influx from my home business, and we are comfortable on that income.

The Mid Coast Region EMS folks told him most of the guys there work for at least 2 services. The other option available to them at EMT-Intermediate and above is working in the hospitals. That may be another source of some P/T income when we get moved. Waldo County Hospital in right there in Belfast, and is, apparently, a great hospital. DH would probably work in the ER p/t if he can get in there.

As was stated earlier, you need to do what you love. I can't see DH ever doing anything else. He's been completely content with his career and loves saving lives. I think it's something that a person has to be born with, though.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM

375 posts, read 611,609 times
Must disagree. I have many years of experience in a technical medical field and have been looking for months in Portland without success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljotis View Post
I agree, medical field jobs are easily available, too many aging citizens and not enough people to take care of them. Medical transcriptions, medical administrations, EMT's are always making big money all over the state. Auto repair/diesel repair are also big, the state has a lot of truckers who wreck vehicles or just break em from driving them hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine