Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My dog eats and does his business on MY schedule. He was trained a long time ago that waking me up to go out will result in something being launched across the room at him. Granted I let him out at 2:00 AM for his last nature call before I go to bed so he's good until one of us gets up in the morning. As soon as it hits 40 degrees at night he's out in his "summer home" in the garage until fall again. You may be led to believe I don't care too much for this dog. You'd be right! I am absolutely NOT a dog person.
To each there own, I guess. Our dogs are a big part of our family. Go where we go, sleep where we sleep. We love them. They have protected my family, kept the sheep safe, even found my 5 year old when she wondered off into the woods.

Springing forward means its time for doggie baths around here.
We try not to bathe them to much during the winter months as it tends to dry out their skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
To each there own, I guess. Our dogs are a big part of our family. Go where we go, sleep where we sleep. We love them. They have protected my family, kept the sheep safe, even found my 5 year old when she wondered off into the woods.

Springing forward means its time for doggie baths around here.
We try not to bathe them to much during the winter months as it tends to dry out their skin.
I am in your camp... If I had a "working dog" it might be different (or it might not...) but Brandi has a rug by our bed and pretty much comes and goes with one of us. I think I'll wait a bit later in the year to give her another bath, but she did have one not too long ago in NC when we had a warmer day and K was there to help me get her in the tub. Here, though, the tub is low enough I should have no problem, when I decide to wash her. She will stand for blow drying to, IF I had the patience... LOL None of my other dogs would...

Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
[quote=bignhfamily;3084627]To each there own, I guess. QUOTE]

We got our dog eight years ago when the kids were small. They begged us for a dog and we relented (against our better judgement). We got a Springer Spaniel as our neighbor had one and recommended the breed as good with kids. Our dog is a lemon. He suffers from springer rage syndrome and is difficult to manage. He's fine unless you want him to do something he doesn't want to do then there's about a 50% chance he'll go into "Cujo Mode" as we have come to call it and bite you.
He has bitten everyone in the family more than once. It is definately a weirdo problem with him as 99% of the time he's just a regular happy dog. You just never know when he's going to snap. He's turned on me a number of times for trying to get him out of a UPS delivery truck or even just taking him by the collar and leading him away from people walking down the road. He's turned on my wife several times once biting her arm hard enough to draw blood. When we have taken him for grooming two places said they wouldn't do it again so we had to take him to a vet that would put him under to cut his hair.
The last time he bit me I was actually ADDING food to his dish and he freaked out. Both of the kids have been bitten as well. You can't play ball or fetch the stick with him because he will not release the ball or stick without going into a rage. Springer rescue said they won't take him as he's a biter, the animal refuge league won't take him and the vet told me to take him to some doggy psychologist. So we feed him,take care of him and pet him when we think it's safe but nobody likes him as we just don't trust him. Lately he's started going blind which doesn't help his disposition. He doesn't recognize people readily and growls and snaps until he figures out who you are. I just don't have the heart to put him down as to me it would be like executing the mentally ill. He can't help his problem, though it doesn't make it any easier to live with. And NO I will not take him to a doggy psychiatrist and put him on doggy prozac! We're used to him now and he will live his life out with us.....however long that will be.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
"I just don't have the heart to put him down as to me it would be like executing the mentally ill."

It would be the humane thing to do. I used to run sled dogs. One of my huskies went nuts. He must have had a stroke or something because he had a complete personality change. We took him to two different vets and both recommended we put him down. We did. The dog was very dangerous. You have a small breed, not miniature, but small. That dog could still kill a small child or scar them for life. Not the dog's fault? Correct. YOUR fault. Talk it over with the family; then do the right thing.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
i saw some ducks flying to the pond today,,,,trying to find some open water,,it seems a bit early for them to arrive,,, actually too early,,no open water at all...

poor ducks, maybe they heard all about this global warming and decided to fly up here early.....

if i see more arrive, maybe i'll throw some cracked corn out,,,,any suggestions what to feed them?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:51 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
My dog has to be bathed every three days with medicated shampoo. I have a hand held shower hose thing that make it very easy to wash him and rinse him well.

Maineah, I understand how you feel about putting your dog down. I don't know your dog or your situation but, I have an elderly dog that is costing me a fortune in vet bills. He can't climb stairs anymore, has cataracts and a bad back. For now he's comfortable and well cared for. I am prepared to "do the right thing" if he is suffering in any way though.
Sending you my best wishes.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I just don't have the heart to put him down as to me it would be like executing the mentally ill."

It would be the humane thing to do. I used to run sled dogs. One of my huskies went nuts. He must have had a stroke or something because he had a complete personality change. We took him to two different vets and both recommended we put him down. We did. The dog was very dangerous. You have a small breed, not miniature, but small. That dog could still kill a small child or scar them for life. Not the dog's fault? Correct. YOUR fault. Talk it over with the family; then do the right thing.
I have a tendancy to agree with you. I think we were lucky he never bit anyone in the face. At this point though I just don't see the need to put him down. We tiptoe around him and he listens to us most of the time. He has never snapped out around strangers and he 's fine as long as you don't take him by the collar, go near him when he has food, or surprise him from behind. He still snaps and growls at me when I want him to go out doors and he doesn't feel like it. When ever we have small children visiting we either lock him in the barn or put him in the cellar. It's not like he's a rabid dog or anything, you just have to be easy around him and not get him too excited.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i saw some ducks flying to the pond today,,,,trying to find some open water,,it seems a bit early for them to arrive,,, actually too early,,no open water at all...

poor ducks, maybe they heard all about this global warming and decided to fly up here early.....

if i see more arrive, maybe i'll throw some cracked corn out,,,,any suggestions what to feed them?
Cranberry stuffing mix.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,951 times
[quote=Maineah;3084910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
To each there own, I guess. QUOTE]

We got our dog eight years ago when the kids were small. They begged us for a dog and we relented (against our better judgement). We got a Springer Spaniel as our neighbor had one and recommended the breed as good with kids. Our dog is a lemon. He suffers from springer rage syndrome and is difficult to manage. He's fine unless you want him to do something he doesn't want to do then there's about a 50% chance he'll go into "Cujo Mode" as we have come to call it and bite you.
He has bitten everyone in the family more than once. It is definately a weirdo problem with him as 99% of the time he's just a regular happy dog. You just never know when he's going to snap. He's turned on me a number of times for trying to get him out of a UPS delivery truck or even just taking him by the collar and leading him away from people walking down the road. He's turned on my wife several times once biting her arm hard enough to draw blood. When we have taken him for grooming two places said they wouldn't do it again so we had to take him to a vet that would put him under to cut his hair.
The last time he bit me I was actually ADDING food to his dish and he freaked out. Both of the kids have been bitten as well. You can't play ball or fetch the stick with him because he will not release the ball or stick without going into a rage. Springer rescue said they won't take him as he's a biter, the animal refuge league won't take him and the vet told me to take him to some doggy psychologist. So we feed him,take care of him and pet him when we think it's safe but nobody likes him as we just don't trust him. Lately he's started going blind which doesn't help his disposition. He doesn't recognize people readily and growls and snaps until he figures out who you are. I just don't have the heart to put him down as to me it would be like executing the mentally ill. He can't help his problem, though it doesn't make it any easier to live with. And NO I will not take him to a doggy psychiatrist and put him on doggy prozac! We're used to him now and he will live his life out with us.....however long that will be.
Yikes, looks like you've got your hands full. Several years ago, I worked part time at our local kennel. The only time I was ever bitten over a 2 year period was by smaller skiddish dogs. One of them was a Springer.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take cujo to the doggy shrink. Probably expensive and not very effective.

Best of luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
I wonder if there is a westie rage syndrome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine