Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,500 times

Advertisements

I am in need of good winter boots. Last winter was my first in Maine (loved it) and we lived in an apartment. Now we have a house with a long driveway I'll need to clean. So I need some really warm boots. Where do Mainers get theirs and what brands? I'm not looking for anything fashionable, just warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:25 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times
We both got Muck boots. I have the Arctic Sport and hubby has the Arctic Pro. A great pair of boots is a real must have. They were great for not only keeping your feet warm but also Dry. We used them for every thing of daily wear outside- from snow blowing the driveway to ice fishing etc.
We Absolutely Swear by them !

What I loved the most about them was how well they held my ankles. Having torn up one of my ankles years ago, it has a tendancy to just give way/kink out of under me. My boots held it well, giving me actually better footing than any other shoe/boot I have worn. They are sold in several places http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...oryId=15312666
Prices can vary so best to size them somewhere and then try amazon for best price. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...3Amuck%20boots .

Shop around for pricing, but we got ours at Ace Hardware. I would suggest a place you can try them on for sizing purposes, as they come in whole sizing. I wear an 8 and half, but the size 8 fit the best verses the 9. Hubby wears an 11 and it fit perfectly.

You can also add hunting socks to them if you want too or just normal socks and still same result in keeping you warm and dry. Also they have very good traction, which proved to be a big plus when ice fishing.

Spend the extra money and get a good boot. We tried the LL Bean boots but did not feel anywhere near as nice as the "Muck" boot line did.

Last edited by maineborzoi; 10-21-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 10-21-2015, 12:32 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
We both got Muck boots. .
They are the best. Reny's carries them and they have a 20% discount (on their already great prices) the first Saturday in November. It's their early bird shopping day.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM

810 posts, read 851,670 times
Bean boots! You can get them insulated with thinislate or gortex. I Just ordered a pair. They were actually in stock and I should get them next Tuesday. I went with the 6 inch non insulated since we don't usually get snow here in Oregon but we do get a lot of rain in the fall and winter.

I have always wanted a pair and with the guarantee from LL Bean I can't go wrong.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Another vote for Muck's Arctic Sport. My feet are cold in August. Muck keep my feet warm if I'm walking and always dry.

You might want to look into a boot dryer. It's nice to put on warm, dry boots before going out.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:41 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I have the 'Muck Chore' [Steel Toe].

They were kind of pricey, but well worth it.

I have a disability with my feet, I need to use orthopedic inserts. I have found the Red Wing dealers are very good with inserts and they offer them for extremely low prices. So I do not buy my work boots from anyone but Red Wing dealers, like 'Winterport Boot' in Brewer Maine.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM

447 posts, read 651,799 times
Great thread! I could use a nice pair of boots and for the heck of it grab some socks!? I recommend wig wam mills (costco does good prices on them) USA made and warm!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 PM

810 posts, read 851,670 times
thanks for the tip on socks. I need some new ones .

Old 10-22-2015, 05:44 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Over 21 feet of snow here in last 5 winters. I had lots of shoveling and standing in snow to do.

I use simple waterproof work boots. Less than $60 at Walmart.

But recently I bought Merrell Hiking Boots. I may use those now. Super comfortable. They are expensive though so I may save them just for hiking. They keep you warm and dry.

Here's link for woman boots with them. Women's Boots - Shop for Hiking & Casual Boots for Women | Merrell

Socks are just as important and breathable shoes. Also weight of shoe.

However... Hiking Boots wont help when you're hiking through a deep a snow pack. This is during one of my local hikes last yr. And I didn't even have them tight enough. lol

Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
If whatever boots you choose have laces, I strongly recommend a pair of gaiters to wear with them. Will keep your boots dry, and keep snow out of your pant legs! I wear them all winter.

Regardless of boots, I also recommend wool socks. Many people take that to mean "ragg wool", which I dislike as they're so scratchy. You want Merino wool, which is finer and doesn't scratch. A great quality merino wool sock is Cabela's "Cold weather hunting socks", very warm, lasts forever, and great prices if you buy 3 or more pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine