Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 AM

71 posts, read 252,462 times

Advertisements

For everyday working/hiking socks that are thick and durable, my favorites over the last 12 years are the Wigwam El-Pine ragg wool socks, which I order from Campmor:
https://www.campmor.com/c/wigwam-el-...agg-wool-socks
[Note: The "grey twist" color is a mixture of taupe and off-white.]

I have problems with my feet that require orthopedic shoes, and these ragg wool socks comfortably cushion my feet all the year round. Yes, I wear them in the summer, too. I machine-wash the socks in cold water and hang them to dry. They are made in the U.S.A. and last for years.

Merino wool socks are made of a softer, finer wool that is not nearly as durable, and they are more expensive. I occasionally wear merino wool knee-high socks for less casual use than the ragg wool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,670,531 times
Depends on your budget. You can find good boots at Goodwill for $4 or LLBean for $250. Either way, you want wool socks. Instead of gators, I simply wear snow pants when shoveling or snowblowing.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
I have not used a snow shovel in a couple years. I park my tractor under a roof, so snow-blowing does not require much physical labor. However, once my tractor is running, warming up, I shift to wearing sneakers. Insulated muck boots are great for walking through snow or mud, and feeding livestock. But they feel clumsy on the accelerator / brake pedals. Also climbing up onto the tractor, I have slipped a few times when I was wearing the heavy boots.

If you need to be in and out of a vehicle frequently, trying to operate brake / clutch / accelerator while wearing heavy boots, you will soon see the problem of wearing heavy clumsy boots.

I have found that 'STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats' are an absolute requirement. When you get a solid base-layer of ice, and then a dusting a snow on top, you can very easily slip and fall. I carry buckets of pig slop every day, I need solid footing. I have gone through a dozen different flavors of ***-traks and whatnot to give your shoes better grip. 'STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats' are the best that I have found. They are like a hard-sole Roman-style sandal that goes onto any sneakers or boots.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:38 AM

Default I hate bone fractures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have found that 'STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats' are an absolute requirement. When you get a solid base-layer of ice, and then a dusting a snow on top, you can very easily slip and fall. I carry buckets of pig slop every day, I need solid footing. I have gone through a dozen different flavors of ***-traks and whatnot to give your shoes better grip. 'STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats' are the best that I have found. They are like a hard-sole Roman-style sandal that goes onto any sneakers or boots.
Thank you for suggesting STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats, which I had not seen. I tried stretchy Yaktraks, and they were hard to put on. They broke after a couple of wearings. After looking at other brands, I gave up the search.

Visible ice is hazardous enough for walking, but I am most wary of the possibility of black ice and of ice beneath a dusting of snow. When you are unaware of their presence, you can be moving along at a too brisk pace that ends up with a fall. I want to avoid fracturing bones.

These STABILicers look like they would be easily applied and work well for safer walking in icy conditions. I am going to order a pair for this winter.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Thank you for suggesting STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats, which I had not seen. I tried stretchy Yaktraks, and they were hard to put on. They broke after a couple of wearings. After looking at other brands, I gave up the search.

Visible ice is hazardous enough for walking, but I am most wary of the possibility of black ice and of ice beneath a dusting of snow. When you are unaware of their presence, you can be moving along at a too brisk pace that ends up with a fall. I want to avoid fracturing bones.

These STABILicers look like they would be easily applied and work well for safer walking in icy conditions. I am going to order a pair for this winter.
They are a bit pricey.

I found that the velcro straps can get packed with manure and they lose their grippiness. So after I put them on, I then use zip-ties to make the velcro straps more secure. But if you are not walking in a foot of manure, you should not have that problem.

I think 'STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats' are well worth every penny.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 PM

642 posts, read 1,258,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
Great thread! I could use a nice pair of boots and for the heck of it grab some socks!? I recommend wig wam mills (costco does good prices on them) USA made and warm!
Agree. And again, Reny's will have on sale the first Saturday in November. Usually they're four pair for the price of three, and then 20% off on sale day.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Smile No worries, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
They are a bit pricey.

I found that the velcro straps can get packed with manure and they lose their grippiness. So after I put them on, I then use zip-ties to make the velcro straps more secure. But if you are not walking in a foot of manure, you should not have that problem.

I think 'STABILicers Heavy Duty Ice Cleats' are well worth every penny.
I am a couple of decades removed from slipping around in manure, and have no plans to repeat it.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:47 PM

45,501 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Bean boots! You can get them insulated with thinislate or gortex. I Just ordered a pair. They were actually in stock and I should get them next Tuesday. I went with the 6 inch non insulated since we don't usually get snow here in Oregon but we do get a lot of rain in the fall and winter.

I have always wanted a pair and with the guarantee from LL Bean I can't go wrong.
Thinsulate is the insulation, Gore-Tex the waterproofing layer.

I have most of my boots (all of them now that I think of it) from Cabela's.

Women's Winter Boots & Footwear : Cabela's

I linked to Women's.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,140,803 times
I use my summer hiking boots, with stabilizers and winter wrap arounds. The winter wraps connect under the shoe, at the end of the laces and velcro to the knee. They make my summer hiking boots become a winter knee high boot for a fraction of the cost of buy and knee height boot.

I also have several sets of alpaca wool socks which are just wonderful.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:33 PM

Soon enough it will be snowshoes.

Then will come snowshoes over chest-high waders. Oh, how I hate snowshoeing carrying maple sap on my back, only to punch through into river water. Every spring though it happens. Scares the heck out of my every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine