Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM

71 posts, read 252,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Soon enough it will be snowshoes.

Then will come snowshoes over chest-high waders. Oh, how I hate snowshoeing carrying maple sap on my back, only to punch through into river water. Every spring though it happens. Scares the heck out of my every time.
Falling through the ice would be startling for anyone even if you expect it to happen, because you do not know when it will happen, and you have to instantly balance not only yourself but also the load on your back.

Would it be feasible for you to haul the maple sap on a sled that is similar to those used for hauling firewood, but fitted with a box to hold your sap container? The distribution of weight might help with this situation, although the thickness of the ice is a major factor. Maybe the ice would only crack instead of making a hole to plunge through?

Wondering if you have already tried doing that and it does not work well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Falling through the ice would be startling for anyone even if you expect it to happen, because you do not know when it will happen, and you have to instantly balance not only yourself but also the load on your back.

Would it be feasible for you to haul the maple sap on a sled that is similar to those used for hauling firewood, but fitted with a box to hold your sap container? The distribution of weight might help with this situation, although the thickness of the ice is a major factor. Maybe the ice would only crack instead of making a hole to plunge through?

It would be much better if I had mature maples that were up on dry land. Instead my maples are down in the river flood plain. The river generally rises before winter and freezes over at that height.

The 'answer' promoted in trade-journals is to attach suction tubing to all the taps, and with a vacuum pump suck sap from the trees to a remote location up on dry land. I am not convinced this practice is safe for the tree.

What I have usually seen is by the end of sap flow every year, the ice is gone and I finish up in a kayak, before the river goes back down.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post

We use this for many uses during the winter. Good for wood, or ice fishing, to even walking to the store if need be. Very durable and does a great job !
Amazon.com : Viking Sport Sled, Black : Snow Sleds : Sports & Outdoors

Old 10-23-2015, 02:20 PM

71 posts, read 252,191 times
Default Hauling maple sap by kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It would be much better if I had mature maples that were up on dry land. Instead my maples are down in the river flood plain. The river generally rises before winter and freezes over at that height. . . .

What I have usually seen is by the end of sap flow every year, the ice is gone and I finish up in a kayak, before the river goes back down.
Well, that is quite unique! I knew that you lived in a bog area, but am surprised that you have sugar maples that survive such wet, river floodplain conditions. I was imagining that your maple trees were on higher ground. Kudos to you for your persevering determination!

P.S.: I just realized that you must be tapping swamp maples, not sugar maples.

Last edited by chickadee; 10-23-2015 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Light dawning

Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Does anyone in Maine wear bunny boots? They are very popular here in Alaska and I love the pair I have. They are very warm even at -40. My feet are the only thing that isn't cold at times. Their main appeal is that the liner is encased in rubber so if you happen to get them wet you just pour out the water and your feet will warm right back up. Only draw back is they don't breathe well so you'll need to change of your socks occasionally. They can be had at military surplus stores and other places from $50-$100

I love the mucks too.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Does anyone in Maine wear bunny boots? They are very popular here in Alaska and I love the pair I have. They are very warm even at -40. My feet are the only thing that isn't cold at times. Their main appeal is that the liner is encased in rubber so if you happen to get them wet you just pour out the water and your feet will warm right back up. Only draw back is they don't breathe well so you'll need to change of your socks occasionally. They can be had at military surplus stores and other places from $50-$100

I love the mucks too.
They sound like they would be warm.
However- I am laughing because I can just see my dogs highly interested and chasing at my feet... *trips... "Stop that..quit now- go on... * ambushed and trips again....

Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
They are big and white and slightly awkward looking/feeling but they do the job!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
They are big and white and slightly awkward looking/feeling but they do the job!
My husband told me that also as he was issued them when he was in the Air Force. He said it was rather unbelievable how warm they are.

/edit- found them http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...ith-valve.html

Old 10-23-2015, 05:35 PM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
Quote:

I love the mucks too.
I wear bunny boots and like them a lot. The black "Mickey Mouse" boots aren't bad either. Same idea as the white ones, but not rated for as low a temp as the bunny boots.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
+++++1 Muck boots. Pull 'em on an off, no laces. They hug your calves and will keep your toes warm, something that's always plagued me. Now when I go upland bird hunting, I don't care what the terrain is. Those Muck boots keep my feet dry and warm in the worst weather. Worth every penny.

Rome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine