Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,664,502 times

Advertisements

I got another call from them yesterday... It seems they once again have tech support openings and were wanting to know when I would be there.

I still do not plan to leave until the end of the month but it looks like I may have a job when I do get there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM

175 posts, read 420,895 times
Just curious as to how the job search is going? Any luck??

Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,122,902 times
Star that's great news!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 14,507 times
I love Maine. I grew up here, but really good jobs are few and far between. In my area, the midcoast, most people are self-employed. Be patient and hopefully you'll find something soon.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM

474 posts, read 1,419,190 times
Thanks Coastgirl! I am trying not to let my self get too depressed! Got three more "reject" letters today - seems they hired a local!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM

474 posts, read 1,419,190 times
WARNING!!!! Okay, folks, I may get in to trouble with the moderator police, but I feel that you should all be aware of something! Maybe you already know this AND I the last sucker on earth! As you know I have been applying for jobs in Maine - willing to take just about anything! WELL, I applied for a position through Craigslist! OMG - why I didn't investigate it better! NOW my resume and home phone number are out in cypberspace AND I'm getting messages from this creep who claims he likes my resume, will be in my area next week, ya da ya da AND wants to get together.

Last edited by ILUVMAINE; 02-07-2008 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: typed to fast

Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 AM

837 posts, read 1,715,121 times
Default Creep from Craigslist

Iluvmaine2--First, I hope you let the Craigslist folks know so they can ban any further posts from the person who placed the job add. (Not sure you can do more than FLAG it, but---) Can you give us some idea of what the ad was, I would go in and FLAG it as well.

Craigslist is such a great resource (second only to City-Data forum), it's a real shame when scuzzy scammers take advantage.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,664,502 times
ILUVMAINE2, you are not the "last sucker", believe me... if this were the case the off shore scammers and phishermen would be outa business... and my spam filters tell me they are alive and well, and catching many every day.

That said, I am sorry to hear this...I have been less than satisfied with what I have seen on Craigslist, though I know others -- my eldest daughter, in fact -- who have had great success finding things there. But as with anything where anonymity is as easy as on the 'net, it really is "buyer beware" in spades.

As someone who works in the Internet arena, I would suggest getting and using a post office box and using that address only on your resume. Also you might want to make sure your phone is not listed (I use a cell... problem solved) and able to be backtracked by reverse lookup on sites such as AnyWho.

If you feel threatened, besides reporting to Craigslist, you might consider notifying your local cops as well, and of course do a bit of extra security check around your place. I seldom lock up during the day and have not locked my car for years...even in the city ... but under these circumstances I would, and would double check windows and such.

Truth be told, most of us can pretty easily be found on the 'net by someone who wants to, and can be tracked "to ground" likewise... but also truth be told most dastardly deeds are still done by those more close at hand and most of the "cyber-stalkers" are just that... ghouls who get their jollies by terrorizing in the safe anonymity of the virtual world.

A few other safety thoughts here while I am on a roll... never, ever click on a link in an email that looks like it is from ebay, paypal or your bank. Most of those institutions have a policy -- if they have to email you for some reason -- of instructing you to go to your browser and bring up your account. If you do that -- the way you usually do -- you cannot be hijacked to a bogus site, as you can by clicking a link.

When doing business on the 'net, make sure you know who you are dealing with. When I buy on Ebay or via a web site, I only work with those who supply contact info to a physical location (address and phone) that I can backtrack via Anywho or such sites and confirm to be a real entity and who they say they are. and of course make sure the site is secure... but that alone is not enough, for you can send your info to a n'er do well over a secure site too... which is why I verify first.

I am in business and have a store front and therefore have to be public and on the 'net.. back-track-able for those who do like I do before doing business and therefore I have to also be my own last line of security. Stop, think, and if necessary ask someone you trust before you click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
WARNING!!!! Okay, folks, I may get in to trouble with the moderator police, but I feel that you should all be aware of something! Maybe you already know this AND I the last sucker on earth! As you know I have been applying for jobs in Maine - willing to take just about anything! WELL, I applied for a position through Craigslist! OMG - why I didn't investigate it better! NOW my resume and home phone number are out in cypberspace AND I'm getting messages from this creep who claims he likes my resume, will be in my area next week, ya da ya da AND wants to get together.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,558 times
I've never used Craig's List simply because I have not heard anything good about it. Here is another story to confirm the things I've heard.

I hope you can find the job you want. Keep looking and give potential employers a date of when you can start working for them, if you haven't already done so.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,266,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Being in the same field as your friend, I can truly relate! I was a designer in Spokane (small city) and in Portland (the other one...) and in Austin... now here and I am looking for a place where I can live even more rural. And mostly I am NOT looking in my field (though there actually was a relevant position in the Bangor paper which I have applied for... )

Most people I know in graphic design work from home. Some went to school for it, some taught themselves and have no degree or certificate. They all created websites promoting themselves and their 'business'. Some created blogs to further help promote themselves, their website and their 'business'. Some have made a lot of money, some barely any, but the beauty of it is that they can work from any place they choose as long as they have an internet connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine