Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Excellant news ILUV!! Best of luck to you.
Thanks! You will all be the first to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Great! Congrats! You got a nibble.. now hook 'em and reel em in!

LOL Starwalker you're a hoot! I'll remember to take my fishing pole!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Any jobs in Maine? Yep! Today I had the chance to hook up a training room for a new small call center in the area. They got word yesterday that the training people would be up on Monday to train their first 22 employees. Walked into an empty building at 6:00 AM this morning and walked out of a ready to roll training room at 5:00 PM. All power ran, Computer racks set, all phone lines ran and punched down, all computer data lines ran and punched down as well as tested. Computers were built today in another room and was being placed and tested as we left. They are going to start small this year and I hope they grow. Very nice people running the operation and they hope to stay right here and provide jobs year after year. They already have the people they need lined up and it was nice to see it all come together in such a short time for them.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Great job Bydand!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Any jobs in Maine? Yep! Today I had the chance to hook up a training room for a new small call center in the area. They got word yesterday that the training people would be up on Monday to train their first 22 employees. Walked into an empty building at 6:00 AM this morning and walked out of a ready to roll training room at 5:00 PM. All power ran, Computer racks set, all phone lines ran and punched down, all computer data lines ran and punched down as well as tested. Computers were built today in another room and was being placed and tested as we left. They are going to start small this year and I hope they grow. Very nice people running the operation and they hope to stay right here and provide jobs year after year. They already have the people they need lined up and it was nice to see it all come together in such a short time for them.
That's wonderful news for the State of Maine! Keep those jobs coming.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Default The job hunted ME!

In another thread, AustinB asked what job I had taken... and I am responding here to stay on topic.

I was a little frustrated, actually, with the speed with which I ended up with a job! Since I had got laid off in NC and was able to move with unemployment... and not even being close to having used up my first 16 weeks, I had been expecting/hoping for a couple of weeks, at least, of unemployed time here to get things sorted out. We didn't exactly move into our dream home, just temp quarters while we hunt, and this rental trailer had a lot to sort out... in fact they still have not brought us a fridge, nor have I got the electric in my name (I am kinda waiting for that fridge, to be honest...) and we are doing the storage unit shuffle as well.

So when I fielded a call on the cell phone (let it go to voicemail, to be honest) while trying to turn my big rig around in the center of town (beautiful downdown Milo, skipping in between the logging trucks...) I knew I would have to call them this week. then they called again the next day and I answered and before I knew it I was scheduled to "interview" Friday with a verbal promise that I would start training Monday. As in tomorrow...

And yes, they ARE HIRING. and no, it is not all sales and from what I heard while I was there, much of the sales involves calling businesses and following up leads for companies such as Dell, offering warranties and extended warranties, dealing with returns, etc. As call centers go, it seemed a good place. the "cube farm" in which I will be working was quiet and the employees and managers I met, though they were on the younger side ... <g> just a reminder that I am now truly a crone who has to remember that my doc may look like a high schooler, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have his MD! ... they were pleasant and seemed competent enough.

After training, I will start at close to what I was making in NC as an office manager, part time.

It is not my dream job... I will continue to look, low-key job hunt, along with the higher priority house and land hunt. I have about as long a commute as I am willing to do but I will be driving through the MAINE COUNTRYSIDE and getting a chance to see the season unfold as I do.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Star, I'm thrilled that you found something so quickly! It just goes to show, if you seek you WILL find - even in Maine!

Sorry you didn't get to enjoy more of a vacation!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Star I'm very happy for you!! Congratulations!!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Congrats on getting the job so fast. I hope it is worth the seeming long commute. The ride will be better in the summer though. Don't let the gas prices get to you yet. They will get worse in the summer.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 AM

48,154 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Star, Congratulations on finding a job, even before you planned.

Now I am holding in my mind a picture of you finding the perfect home and land; I am seeing you make some sort of fantastic deal with the owner that involves barter basted in the juices of good will. Lets hang on to that picture.....but my image has it being springtime. Lets make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine