Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:11 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,193,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I hear that doing the "RV life" is like the absolute cheapest way you can go, as long as you can find a way around an HOA that would basically be equivalent to rent cost. Though... I hear it only works out cheaper if you use natural gas and electricity. I would do that to stash cash for a house down payment.
I tend to have mixed feelings about the RV life style being the absolute way to live. one of the reasons I say that is more and more cities are enforcing laws against RVR'S parking in wal mart parking lots and on the side of the streets. that's thanks to the trashy ones riding around in vans and RV'S screwing it up for the ones that enjoy the life style and respect it. you get more freedom in an RV park than you do in an HOA. I mostly camp in BLM lands wich is free or minimal cost I paid 8 bucks a night on one site vs paying an RV park 300 a week for an RV park. personaly I don't like RV parks why should I pay for something that I can get myself. and id'e rather be out in nature than in an RV park where my neighbors awnings touching my property. I just drain the black and grey water tanks and fill up the fresh water tank and i'm off. I also carry a 7000 watt genset incase I need the AC and to run the microwave and washer and dryer wich is rare. I have a solar panel setup with 6 Trojan 105 deep cycle agm marine batteries to power the lights and my satellite receiver and my tv and my stereo and my full size fridge freezer. right now I run a propane stove and oven and a 6 gallon water heater. though I will be ripping out the water heater and installing an on demand water heater. I will be installing a Dickenson marine fire place later on also I haven't decided if I wanted to go with a propane unit or a solids unit they even make a diesel unit wich I am considering. I am debt free house and truck is paid for I do not want another SB house I love the freedom if I don't like my neighbors I can put the key in and go. and it's easier to heat and cool and keep clean it's a much less stressfull life than owning a SB house. though and to also mention not all RV parks allow tiny houses yet!! and I tiny house is much more energy wise than an RV. you either freeze to death in an RV or you sweat to death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are many places where you can do this. There are even more places where you cannot. Be sure before you buy. A couple purchased a small lot last year and spent the coldest winter ever in a camper trailer they salvaged. They survived it.
any thoughts on doing something like this in casco

Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You could certainly do that in my town. But I have heard many stories from other people who live in towns where you could not do it.

I would suggest that you rent a lot in a trailer park with all connections first. Then use that as your base of operations, to go out and explore. Talk to the locals, etc. That is when you would find the exact spot your looking for.

I am gonna be renting an RV park for a few months to get the feel for the place. I wouldn't think that one could do something like this around the Portland Lewiston or bangor orthe kittery areas

Old 05-20-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I hear that doing the "RV life" is like the absolute cheapest way you can go, as long as you can find a way around an HOA that would basically be equivalent to rent cost. Though... I hear it only works out cheaper if you use natural gas and electricity. I would do that to stash cash for a house down payment.
oh and I run propane cause it's cleaner burning than gas or diesel even though it's lower btu's last time I bought propane it was .99 cents a gallon. for my eletricty I use solar panels and 6 Trojan 105 deep cycle batteries the best out there from my research and I Honda EU7000 genset to charge my batteries or to run the power suckers convection microwave washer dryer AC unit kerig machine and the run the genset for a day costs me about a 1.50. though I mainly cook on portable butane stoves since I don't like heating up the inside of the house. and sometimes you can workamp and volunteer for a campsite in exchange for rent and sometimes you might be paid also so that can help depending on ones situation!!

Last edited by ground_pounder; 05-20-2015 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 06:43 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,437 times
If your trailer isnt made for winter use Life will be hell. Everything freezes water lines esp

Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,302,027 times
I have a dear friend that lives in a RV year round. Granted- it's a top model, with slide outs, and actually has more square footage than say a two bedroom apartment.
He loves the life as able to move it whenever he feels the urge to enjoy the scenery somewhere else. He even has dogs, and takes them to National parks etc.
Though he does have a 'home base' where he spends the winter, or even the full year, his is equipped with some added features so that living in the harshness of winter is possible.

That said, he does not live in a state that has the temps/snow of Maine. One needs to consider that as something as simple as snow removal etc, would require other items that at least need to be stored in some type of building etc.

Using mostly propane for heat, even this can get quite expensive though he has additional space heater ( oil filled) in the back bedroom.
Keeping your walls warm/insulted is essential. Wrapping pipes with 'anti-freeze' tape, as well as other added insulation is paramont to prevent freezing of pipes, lines ( even sewer/black tank ) of the trailer.
Planning ahead of time such as extra propane tank, bottled water etc is also valuable. Adding little things such as paper plates, so as to keep the reserve of your 'white tank' for other functions such as washing pots and pans etc.

While the life is one to remember to childhood camping trips, one to needs to keep in mind all the additional preparations that far exceed what one would be thinking in a home. Treat the supplies, the needs and requirements more like a 'off grid' type situation.

As far as where one would be allowed- in general small towns seem to be more open to this that other areas. However- even in more liberal ( liberal in the sense of allowance of said vehicle and not a politcal statement )- speak about specifics to the town office. There was already an instance here, in our short time of living in this area, that two trailers were required to remove as not deemed a 'home', and prevented for tax purposes for living in full time.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM

631 posts, read 749,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
I have a dear friend that lives in a RV year round. Granted- it's a top model, with slide outs, and actually has more square footage than say a two bedroom apartment.
He loves the life as able to move it whenever he feels the urge to enjoy the scenery somewhere else. He even has dogs, and takes them to National parks etc.
Though he does have a 'home base' where he spends the winter, or even the full year, his is equipped with some added features so that living in the harshness of winter is possible.

That said, he does not live in a state that has the temps/snow of Maine. One needs to consider that as something as simple as snow removal etc, would require other items that at least need to be stored in some type of building etc.

Using mostly propane for heat, even this can get quite expensive though he has additional space heater ( oil filled) in the back bedroom.
Keeping your walls warm/insulted is essential. Wrapping pipes with 'anti-freeze' tape, as well as other added insulation is paramont to prevent freezing of pipes, lines ( even sewer/black tank ) of the trailer.
Planning ahead of time such as extra propane tank, bottled water etc is also valuable. Adding little things such as paper plates, so as to keep the reserve of your 'white tank' for other functions such as washing pots and pans etc.

While the life is one to remember to childhood camping trips, one to needs to keep in mind all the additional preparations that far exceed what one would be thinking in a home. Treat the supplies, the needs and requirements more like a 'off grid' type situation.

As far as where one would be allowed- in general small towns seem to be more open to this that other areas. However- even in more liberal ( liberal in the sense of allowance of said vehicle and not a politcal statement )- speak about specifics to the town office. There was already an instance here, in our short time of living in this area, that two trailers were required to remove as not deemed a 'home', and prevented for tax purposes for living in full time.
I looked into just about every 5th wheel and RV model you can buy even at the highest levels and the general consensus is that no matter what there is no such thing as an invincible mobile to winter extremes without a ton of modifications to insulate the water and gas lines. It just ends up being more trouble than it is worth and risky for your own life. So what you could do is live in the mobile for about 8 months then de-winterize the mobile and rent somewhere for 4 months then move back in.

Seems that buying a modular home on acreage is cheaper than the RV/mobile home if you don't want to move around. I'm not sure about Texas though; I don't think it gets cold enough in some parts of that state to make a problem for the "5th wheel forever" concept (as long as you can avoid the HOA).

Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my travels, I have owned five homes. During this period of time there have been a couple times when I was nearly drawn into buying properties that were within HOAs. Each time the HOA, when I investigated closely, turned out to be a neighborhood kingdom of rules and fees that frightened me.

I have avoided HOAs.

I think that any sane man should.
While I avoid HOA's and condos like the plague, since they tend to be little power-mad monarchies for people that can't get into politics, most subdivisions these days will have permanent covenants and restrictions in place so a neighbor can't invoke his "freedom" to drag in a 1958 Airstream trailer next to your $250,000 home and start putting family members in it. Most municipalities tend to prevent that anyway. Otherwise there'd be more auto junkyards, tire dumps and 1970's mobile homes all over the place. Usually it's only the ones on private roads, PUD's or Condos that have fees. Otherwise there'd be no need for a fee.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
While I avoid HOA's and condos like the plague, since they tend to be little power-mad monarchies for people that can't get into politics, most subdivisions these days will have permanent covenants and restrictions in place so a neighbor can't invoke his "freedom" to drag in a 1958 Airstream trailer next to your $250,000 home and start putting family members in it. Most municipalities tend to prevent that anyway. Otherwise there'd be more auto junkyards, tire dumps and 1970's mobile homes all over the place. Usually it's only the ones on private roads, PUD's or Condos that have fees. Otherwise there'd be no need for a fee.
That sounds appropriate in today's society.

If 'most subdivisions' want HOAs; then I guess avoid most subdivisions.

I do not like the cookie-cutter look of ticky-tack subdivisions anyway. I have never lived in one. They might be okay to live in, I don't know.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 AM

631 posts, read 749,692 times
The HOA and "privilege to rent the lot" fees sound like a long term cellphone contract. The initial "You can get the phone for $200 today! (But by the time the 2 years are over, you will have paid another $1000 in fees *hand rubbing*)".

Some of the communities seem to be upfront about an HOA of $300 a month while others say "$80 a month" then leave out the part of "subject to increase over time.". A modular property depreciates in value, so with an HOA you are paying to lose more money. Having land and the modular is great.

http://www.tikihumor.com/wp-content/...s-good-man.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine