Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 2,300,273 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to post this but I thought this might be the best spot. I have these tiny, tiny bugs in the bathroom and there are so many of them!! I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them!! I'm wondering if the bugs appeared because I didn't use the bathtub enough? I want to use it more now since I want to bathe our children in that bathtub (more space). What could these bugs be?! They are so tiny, tiny that my husband didn't even know they were bugs until he looked super close because they just look like specs. They are just little dots with a couple antennae.

What are they and how do I get rid of them?!?! They are creeping me out and I want to use that bathtub but I'm too grossed out right now!

Thanks!!

Last edited by phillyhome; 07-06-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Ok.. after googling and googling.. I think I figured it out. Does anybody know anything about psciod mites?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You need to describe them. There are lots of tiny bugs. Or just kill them and not bother to find out what they were.

Are they beetles? Worms? multilegged thingies, spider looking things?

Color?

Where do they come from? A dark place> just crawling around?

What do they taste like? (you will need to capture 8-10 of them on your tongue to taste them, they are so tiny)

Do the appear in groups, or just one at a time?

What time of day do you see them?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 AM

41,946 posts, read 75,144,160 times
If you can see them, they're probably not mites at all. If they are psocids -- also called book lice -- they're harmless. But they are attracted to moisture, so keep the bathroom dry.

Clean the bathtub and take a bath, for heaven's sake. Relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What do they taste like? (you will need to capture 8-10 of them on your tongue to taste them, they are so tiny)
LOL!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You need to describe them. There are lots of tiny bugs. Or just kill them and not bother to find out what they were.

Are they beetles? Worms? multilegged thingies, spider looking things?

Color?

Where do they come from? A dark place> just crawling around?

Do the appear in groups, or just one at a time?

What time of day do you see them?
That is just nasty...

Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Pictures usually help! First, make sure they are mites. Mites have eight legs, insects six. Psocids are insects.
This is a psocid:

If you have bugs then the bathroom is not dry. Pour bleach down the drains regularly. Psocids like dark, damp areas and the bathroom is a perfect place. They love mold.
If possible, have air circulating in bathroom to keep areas dry. When the humidity is low, the psocids will die. If the humidity stays low, they will not re-infest.
Natural control can be obtained with mint, citrus, cedar, or cayenne pepper steeped in water and then used as a spray in the area.

Also please read this:
Psocids, Book Lice & Barklice

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
How about calling a pest control person and tell them what you have in the bathroom so they can figure it out and fix it.
Is it really necessary to be so dramatic about bugs in a bathroom.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Default You have an infestation

You have an infestation in your batch room. You should be able to find pest control or exterminator in the yellow pages of your phone book. Once your infestation is under control. do call a plumber. You need to have your plumbing repaired or replaced. You may not need anything more exotic than good circulation. But first you need to get rid of the infestation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhome View Post
I don't know where to post this but I thought this might be the best spot. I have these tiny, tiny bugs in the bathroom and there are so many of them!! I don't know what they are or how to get rid of them!! I'm wondering if the bugs appeared because I didn't use the bathtub enough? I want to use it more now since I want to bathe our children in that bathtub (more space). What could these bugs be?! They are so tiny, tiny that my husband didn't even know they were bugs until he looked super close because they just look like specs. They are just little dots with a couple antennae.

What are they and how do I get rid of them?!?! They are creeping me out and I want to use that bathtub but I'm too grossed out right now!

Thanks!!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM

2 posts, read 765,446 times
Hi, the bugs you probably have are real tiny spring tails. These tiny bugs like moisture, they eat algae, and organic materials. You might have a pipe leaking outside or maybe under the slab of the home. Good thing, these spring tails don't bite or cause any harm. Look for moisture around and in the home, also it wouldn't hurt to put Drano down the drain. Try that see if it works for you. It should. ps remember to look for water (moisture)....rico I am a license pest control operator in San Diego and I've dealt with this problem before.....good luck

Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanks a lot. We put bleach down the drain and while it lessened the amount of bugs, it didn't completely get rid of them. We did get more little spiders, though, and they liked to catch them in their webs so that was the last straw. I had a pest control guy come out and he didn't know what the pests were. He got rid of them, though, and that is all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House