Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 06:13 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times

Advertisements

Sure do,... The Belrus. Nice thick skin for baking.
Maine Potate - Potatoes Grown In Maine

Old 02-16-2008, 06:27 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,973 times
Cool website, Msina. I bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM

You're quite welcome! Potatoes are so versatile.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
Yukon Golds are the worst of the worst for me. I'd probably chew my own finger off before I'd eat another one of those.

Don't like Kennebecs either. I've never heard of Belrus.

I'm strictly an Idaho russet girl. I like a nice dry, fluffy baked potato.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Idaho Russets are great for baking,... but they suck for mashed taters.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Default Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Idaho Russets are great for baking,... but they suck for mashed taters.
Big Time, and that is about all you can get out where I am, unless you by the premium chefs white potatoes loose, and they don't have any flavor either. I think it must be the soil. I also notice that most orchard fruit is pretty tasteless out here.* But I only have to put up with it for a very little while.

*that includes the peaches that the nice lady gave us! phewy watery and pretty tasteless.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
I can't remember the last time I even thought about making real mashed potatoes. I use them for baking, hash browns and steak fries.

I'll have to make myself a mental note to try and find Belrus when we finally get back home.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,883 times
Hey, most fruit and many vegetables don't have much taste anymore. I think it is because so much produce today comes from other countries. We don't know how long it has been in transit, or how long it was stored in a warehouse. We have problems in Florida getting tomatoes that have any taste or smell. The only time we get great fruit and vegetables is when they are in local season. I wonder at times if it is better not to have certain fresh food unless it is in season. Our supermarkets are like the United Nations.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,973 times
Ugh - don't get me started on tomatoes. It's almost impossible to get a good one anymore. We used to at least be guaranteed good local tomatoes at the farm stands in mid-late summer, but we've had such weird weather these past couple of years that even those were not so good.

Not to change the subject, but I've seen some of you in the Rural and Small Towns Forum. I knew a bunch of you Mainahs would pop in.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Hey, most fruit and many vegetables don't have much taste anymore. I think it is because so much produce today comes from other countries. We don't know how long it has been in transit, or how long it was stored in a warehouse. We have problems in Florida getting tomatoes that have any taste or smell. The only time we get great fruit and vegetables is when they are in local season. I wonder at times if it is better not to have certain fresh food unless it is in season. Our supermarkets are like the United Nations.
You're right, and elston's right about the soil. Food is seldom grown with nutrition and taste in mind. This is my pet peeve. Food isn't supposed to just fill your stomach. It should nourish your body and it should taste good. Food is grown with looks and the ability to travel well in mind. If it doesn't look good most consumers don't want it, but that's changing thankfully as people learn about real food. Plant foods such as tomatoes are picked when they're unripe, gassed to look ripe, and shipped an average of 1500 miles to your dinner table. Because the tomato was picked before it was mature it didn't have enough time to develop its full nutritional values. And, as soon as you pick that tomato its nutritional value starts to deteriorate. Artificial petroleum based fertilizers used in most commodity foods contribute to the bland flavor. Plants are supposed to pull nutrients from the soil to grow. Instead, they're pulling it from artificial means because the soil is depleted. Good soil + good variety - over watering = good flavor. It has taken me years to get customers to try a tomato variety that isn't perfectly round and red. For the first three years I sold seedlings I gave away individually potted plants in varieties that look weird but taste good. I hope that condensed version makes sense. I left info out.

Two years ago I went to a workshop in Caribou given by Eliot Coleman (my hero). I met a half dozen potato farmers from The County who are transitioning to organic and improving their harvests. They're using natural fertilizers and soil enhancements rather than petroleum based fertilizers. Listening to them was interesting. This should mean their potatoes have a richer flavor that doesn't require a lot of butter, salt and pepper to make them taste good. Not that I'm giving up butter, salt and pepper mind you, but when you start with something full of flavor you can't lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine