Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,390,517 times

Advertisements

Thanks El,.. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There are red and blue fleshed potatoes too. I made mashed potatoes with the blue once. It turns a gross shade of gray and was too waxy for good mashed.
Yeah you are SO right... how do you cook them to make them NOT a gross color? I grew some in CO when they were new on the market and was very disappointed.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:05 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,880,203 times
Baby red potatoes are delicious.

I can't do the blue ones. They just look so wrong

Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Baby red potatoes are delicious.

I can't do the blue ones. They just look so wrong
Trust me, they don't quite taste "right" either... LOL But I have a thing for "odd colored" veggies so I had to try at least once.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,492,414 times
This is so off topic....but then, that is where I am.

Today I decided to use the pressure washer to clean my patio. It was a ridiculous 81 degrees here in Florida this afternoon. I wanted to enjoy a morning cup of coffee, hence my desire to clean the area. Why was I cleaning it, well the loblolly pine pollen was so thick that I left footprints when I walked on the patio. That stuff had to go. for those of you with any kind of allergy, you know why it had to go. So, I fired up the trusty pressure washer and cleaned the whole shebang in about an hour. So, here I am wet, and sweating, and it is the middle of February. There is something inherently wrong about perspiration in February. Fast forward, the area is clean, and I am ready to have a morning cup of java and enjoy the peaceful sound of cars passing by at 60mph. Bottom line, there is no winter in Florida. There is no season that is allergy free, and there are few places where you don't hear traffic. I guess I am venting, but its the truth, its my story, and I am sticking to it.

There are more really off topic responses coming!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:18 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,492,414 times
BTW, my DW this morning was going to sit on the patio with a cup of coffee and we have some construction going on not too far from our house. She said she couldn't stand the noise from the crane and backhoe, and the always present sound of traffic. Well, at least the pollen is gone! For you Mainers, it is 68 degrees here, with with a stiff breeze from the south. Today, I am going to have to crank the lawnmower and cut the grass, and bag the last of the fall leaves.

I know many of you guys may be envious of this kind of a winter. But after years of this kind of weather, it is getting boring. I miss the cold crunch of the ground the first light freeze. I miss the first dusting of snow, and then the first real snow of the winter. The first hints of greenery peeking through the snow. I miss the seasons.

Last edited by maine4.us; 02-18-2008 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: change

Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I didn't get a winter break from mowing this year. I mowed the yard every month all winter long.

Even during our down time, today a holiday, we can't get away from the hustle and bustle. There is no place where we live where we can truly enjoy nature and its quiet beauty.

Maine4us, I hear you loud and clear on that. There isn't anyplace where we live to enjoy nature either. Never a quite moment day or night.
Maine Here We Come !!!!!! Thank goodness only 29 days left here in Florida.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I miss the cold crunch of the ground the first light freeze. I miss the first dusting of snow, and then the first real snow of the winter. The first hints of greenery peeking through the snow. I miss the seasons.
I hear you on that! I am wondering if I actually need to run the mower again this week or next, before we move. The grass is in winter dormancy, but the WEEDs have grown tall. I think I have decided that when I do the last dog dropping patrol, I'll just PULL the tallest and straggliest. They are widely scattered and not too many to make that impractical, and much less hassle than dealing with the cords and such for the electric mower, which we use because the push reel kind I like doesn't like this southern grass much, and I refuse to have a gas-powered monster.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 AM

48,157 posts, read 22,020,175 times
Quote:
BTW, my DW this morning was going to sit on the patio with a cup of coffee and we have some construction going on not too far from our house. She said she couldn't stand the noise from the crane and backhoe, and the always present sound of traffic. Well, at least the pollen is gone! For you Mainers, it is 68 degrees here, with with a stiff breeze from the south. Today, I am going to have to crank the lawnmower and cut the grass, and bag the last of the fall leaves.

I know many of you guys may be envious of this kind of a winter. But after years of this kind of weather, it is getting boring. I miss the cold crunch of the ground the first light freeze. I miss the first dusting of snow, and then the first real snow of the winter. The first hints of greenery peeking through the snow. I miss the seasons.
I had forgotten all about the crunching sound when walking on the grass after it freezes and before the snows come.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 AM

455 posts, read 1,229,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I realized the error after I posted it, but was too lazy to go back and change it.

That is what happens when I have been sick for a couple of days with the flu. Caring about minor things like spelling go right out the window. Still have to do the big things like take care of the Ruffians, cook, when the wife isn't here, and make sure they are getting better as well (all 4 sick this week-end)
Oh No....it must be tons of fun at your house this week. Hope you are all feeling much better real soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine