Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times

Advertisements

ok, the moose one was cool but the driving the deer one made me uncomfortable I felt bad for the deer, and then kept thinking "if that deer cuts in front of you are you seriously going to be able to stop without hitting it??" I was sitting here at the breakfast bar feeling like I needed to put my foot on the brake! (yup, I'm great with movies too.....)

Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ok, the moose one was cool but the driving the deer one made me uncomfortable I felt bad for the deer, and then kept thinking "if that deer cuts in front of you are you seriously going to be able to stop without hitting it??" I was sitting here at the breakfast bar feeling like I needed to put my foot on the brake! (yup, I'm great with movies too.....)
I felt so bad for that deer! I bet it was terrified.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
I felt bad for the deer too. Chasing it was bad enough but speeding up - someone smack that driver. I didn't think the moose was a good idea but I thought about touching one once. I was a few feet from a cow in BSP and had to think about it a second. I didn't, but I wanted to.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
My first thought on the Moose one was "I'd be on the lookout for Momma". But then took a closer look and the little bugger looked like a young one, probably first year alone.

First thought on the deer one was that it was too bad you can't tell who it was.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 AM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Off Topic ? I was just thinking about the ski pole discussion on the closed thread about "Run Don't Walk " Corner Guy was correct that it was off topic for the thread; but I think it shed some light on the perennial discussion of whether Mainers are friendly or hostile by nature and inclination. Our dear msina, demonstrated a wonderful capacity to ignore an offensive troll-like OP, and dryly and with significant charm gave a "you can't get there from here" type response. Good for her, and good for Maine. It worked. I won't drink the "Kool Aid" but may I have another glass of lemonade, ms ina?

Last edited by elston; 02-08-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 10:20 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Off Topic ? I was just thinking about the ski pole discussion on the closed thread about "Run Don't Walk " Corner Guy was correct that it was off topic for the thread; but I think it shed some light on the perennial discussion of whether Mainers are friendly or hostile by nature and inclination. Our dear msina, demonstrated a wonderful capacity to ignore an offensive troll-like OP, and dryly and with significant charm gave a "you can't get there from here" type response. Good for her, and good for Maine. It worked. I won't drink the "Kool Aid" but may I have another glass of lemonade, ms ina?
Off topic? I thought it was close enough, seeing as it was about Maine and walking. Sure, it changed direction a bit, from walking *out* of Maine to walking around *in* Maine, but, close enough.

I was over to my uncle's place one day, out on the point past the Cutler Navy base, shooting the breeze while he whittled at a block of wood. (He used to carve his own duck decoys.) His old Irish Setter was laying on the porch, and every now and then he'd lift his head up and howl.

After two or three times I got to thinking that he might be sick or something, so I asked "Uncle Carroll, what's the matter with Red?"

My uncle barely looked out the corner of his eye at the dog and said "Oh, there's nothing the matter with old Red, he's just laying on a nail is all. It pokes him in the belly and hurts."

Now, being just a young sprout, that answer left me just a little confused. So I asked "Well, if it hurts, then why doesn't he get up and move to a different spot where there's no nail to poke him?"

My uncle replied "Oh, well, it doesn't hurt that much."

Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Zymer....yup.....reps for that....and I think I know where you're talking about too

ok, you're on my list of people to rep when I can rep again!! lol

Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
...and I think I know where you're talking about too
Not the spot where the antennas are, but where the barracks and offices were (I think they are putting in condos now), if you went down that dirt road that ran alongside the base he was the very last house. His kids had the other houses. He's gone now, and I think the kids sold off most of the land.

He was actually my great(?) uncle...my grandmother's brother. I ran across an interesting bit of family history the other day, that I hadn't known before, but it light of recent news I decided to hold off posting about it. I was researching the geneology (which traces back to an ancestor arriving from Wales in the 1600s...can't say *my* roots don't go deep) when I found some news stories from 1960. I was thinking of it when the talk of "shunning" came up earlier, because I had never heard the story mentioned in the family, even though I was named for one of the people involved.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 PM

ok, now my curiosity is really piqued!! I can't think of what news stories you may be talking about, but are you able to share?

and about Cutler, I think I know where you mean! I was there a few times with my friend Aaron when we took his grandparents there for medical treatment. I remember going for a walks while they had their appointments.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnME View Post
Thought For The Day:

God did not promise day's without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, light for the way. If he brings you to it, he will bring you throught it.
This Thought For The Day applies to me and DH today.

There's a saying among us "That a Dog is Man's Best Friend", and dog lovers will be the first to tell you. Loyalty, unconditional love, companionship and laughs. Any doctor can also tell you that having pets makes our lives better and makes us healthier, by convincing us to be more active.

Our BEST FRIEND looked like a cat, walked liked a cat, had the personality of a cat but sat to beg and minded like a dog. He was a ginger tabby and his name was Georgio. He was given to me at six weeks old but not completely weened. He bonded first with my DH who fed him kitty formula from a syringe until he would drink from a bowl. He became the most lovable, sweetest, social cat and admired by everyone esp. the veternarian and office staff.

Our FRIEND died today at 7 years old from toxic kidney disease. The house is empty without him and DH and I mourn his passing.
We love you Georgio.

Last edited by Eastport4me; 02-08-2008 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: add a sentence and remove font
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine