Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,682 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Maine in June. We are both doctors. He will be working in Bangor, and I will be working in Waterville. Ideally, we would like to live somewhere in between the two places. We are both "city folks" and would prefer more populated areas, close to shopping, movies / theater (I understand that Maine is a rural state). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your questions, as I'm not there yet, either, but I do wish you luck.

So, if you are both city folk, why would you choose to relocate to such a rural state? Mind you, there is "city" in Maine, but you will probably find it less city than most you are familiar with.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,977 times
My wife and I are also considering relocating to Maine. I am a native of Missouri and my wife was a military brat, living in several states. Our families are in the Midwest but we are wanting something different. We have always talked about moving to the Northeast someday. Maine seems like it would be a really nice place to raise our children. Any advice? We really like Bangor and the surrounding area.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
Waterville is more or less an hour drive from Bangor. Where are the two of you working?

There isn't much in between the two, but driving isn't much of a hassle, even in the winter.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Welcome cargo and weathernut! I'll leave the answering to the already there Mainahs!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:15 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargo View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Maine in June. We are both doctors. He will be working in Bangor, and I will be working in Waterville. Ideally, we would like to live somewhere in between the two places. We are both "city folks" and would prefer more populated areas, close to shopping, movies / theater (I understand that Maine is a rural state). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Bangor is Maine's third largest city, with a population around 35,000. Waterville is a college town, located about 50 miles west of Bangor, straight down Interstate 95. It is a town of around 5000, and home to Colby College.

If you consider yourself to be "city people", then you are in the wrong place. Bangor is a very big, "small town", but considerable shopping, and the Maine Center for the Performing Arts is located in Orono at The University of Maine, about 15 miles further up Interstate 95.

In between Bangor and Orono are numerous very, very small towns, much old farm country, and beautiful, open land.

Most of the time, commuting will not pose much of a problem. The Maine Department of Transportation does an outstanding job clearing the roads in winter, and no where is this more so than on Interstate 95. You could live in Bangor and commute to Waterville, or live half way and each commute about 25 miles or so. There will be days in winter when you will find it tough commuting no matter how good MDOT is at road clearing. Snow, ice, and for those inbetween times, that lovely phenomon called "black ice" will appear to make things interesting.

I live about 35 miles east of Bangor in the Ellsworth area, and in a previous life, I owned a business and lived in Waterville. I seldom have occasion to go to Waterville now, but when I do, my impression of the town is the same as it was many years ago: a nice place for a family to be to raise children, but other than that, it's pretty dead. Bangor is a small city in every sense of the word, and if I had to chose between the two, I would live in or near Bangor.

If your work schedule is going to be very regular...that is, no rotating shifts and schedules, then living close to one or the other might be fine. If you are going to be rotating shifts so that you both will be driving the distance to work at odd times, then you may want to explore the towns half way between and find a special place to live there.

Buy and Audi Quattro or a Subaru for commuting.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Get the Subaru Forester. There is more ground clearance, you sit higher and you have better visibility. You get more respect from other drivers too. Get a dark color so you can be seen against the snow better. The Forester should also get better mileage.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathernut View Post
My wife and I are also considering relocating to Maine. I am a native of Missouri and my wife was a military brat, living in several states. Our families are in the Midwest but we are wanting something different. We have always talked about moving to the Northeast someday. Maine seems like it would be a really nice place to raise our children. Any advice? We really like Bangor and the surrounding area.
What are you looking for? City? Ocean? Small town?

Old 01-06-2008, 03:18 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
NMLM ... sounds like you have experience with the Forester?? Can you (or anyone else in the know) give me an idea about maintenance on them.. Are they pretty reliable/easy to maintain? and what about availability of affordable, GOOD mechanic (general Bangor area) for things beyond the scope of a good shade tree mechanic?

My friend K will be buying a vehicle soon -- trying to decide whether to do it here or wait until we find out where we land up there -- and is mulling choices. We spotted an excellent deal on an Xterra (which got bought almost instantly... what we are finding now is higher mileage and higher priced) and he had me check out the Suzuki SX4 yesterday... good warranty... but we are still mulling.

I'll keep my '90 Toyota pickup (WORK truck... LOL) but it's getting a little long in the tooth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Get the Subaru Forester. There is more ground clearance, you sit higher and you have better visibility. You get more respect from other drivers too. Get a dark color so you can be seen against the snow better. The Forester should also get better mileage.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM

40 posts, read 92,942 times
I don't live in Maine. I live in NEbraska and want to live in Maine. I Have a 2001 subaru forester. I bought it 3 yrs old and love it. We have only needed to do routine maintence. It gets around great in the snow. I work night and the rodes are rarely cleared when I get off work and have had no trouble getting around. although the most snow I have seen in 1 shot is 8 inches. but very happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine