Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 AM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The Alton woods holds a big population of atypical bucks!
Yes, deer, moose, and a great population of wild Turkey too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,393,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, deer, moose, and a great population of wild Turkey too.
and a few funky chickens

http://bestsmileys.com/animals/3.gif (broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,091,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've cut a lot out.

Our tiny town sends out about 100 tax bills a year. Most go to "summer people." We now tuition 11 kids to two high schools and two elementary schools. Until recently we tuitioned a special needs student to a private school. He was driven by a private driver. State subsidy didn't make up an equal percentage of special needs education compared to regular schools. Average tuition between the two high schools: $7000 per student. Tuition and driver for special needs: $60,000.

When a kid can't make change I wonder about the parents. We learn the value of coins and bills and how to make change in first, second and third grades. Where were the parents? Why weren't they bringing this problem to the teacher's attention? Were they working with these children at the kitchen table after school? Maybe they were doing all of these things but surely not all of them or we wouldn't have so many kids like this.

I'm beginning to look forward to the time I cut down on "doing something." We have 14 years in so far between school boards, Century 21 (No Child Left Behind), volunteering, consolidation. We'll put in at least three more years. Our youngest graduates then. Til then, the public's stuck with me scurrying around asking "what are you doing to help?" I keep looking for new ideas.
In one town I lived in, we had several thousand students, and a very small number of "special needs" students (less than .001%). The total school budget was $24 million, fully half went to "special needs". Half the budget for .001% of the students? I have a hard time justifying that.

It would have been a lot less expensive to hire full-time tutors to go to the childrens' homes instead of spending these comparitively exhorbitant amounts on tuitions and transportation to specialized facilities.

(And that isn't even considering some other controversial questions as to the community's responsibility in these cases, and how much burden the public should be expected to bear.)

Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
and a few funky chickens

http://bestsmileys.com/animals/3.gif (broken link)
Wow that is very funky.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
In one town I lived in, we had several thousand students, and a very small number of "special needs" students (less than .001%). The total school budget was $24 million, fully half went to "special needs". Half the budget for .001% of the students? I have a hard time justifying that.

It would have been a lot less expensive to hire full-time tutors to go to the childrens' homes instead of spending these comparitively exhorbitant amounts on tuitions and transportation to specialized facilities.

(And that isn't even considering some other controversial questions as to the community's responsibility in these cases, and how much burden the public should be expected to bear.)

Quite so, but it is a matter of state law I am told, and this is one of the major reasons for the governor's effort to change Maine's dysfunctional educational system.

Far too many people have been forced to move away from their property because of property taxes that are raised to support the local school. My neighbors left about five years ago, and my wife and I will be leaving this property next year. This one acre of land, with 200 feet of waterfront has been in my family since 1900, but at $500 per month for property taxes that are used ONLY for the school (no other services in this town), even if I felt that we could afford it as we get older, I wouldn't do it on priciple alone.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,942 times
To the original poster. Bangor has really excellent schools and will not have changes due to school consolidation because of its size. It has the most AP and Honors classes and enough kids to offer lots of varied opportunities for participation in sports and clubs. Hampden schools are probably the next best in the area, but I'm not sure if consolidation will affect it.

Oh, and I own a Suburu legacy which was wonderful in today's snow.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:21 AM

6 posts, read 12,060 times
I live near Banogr in other direction from where you will be working, If you like city living closer to Bangor would be best. of course you will be only a few hrs drive from Portland. This year we have had more snow so far than for years and years...main roads are kept well, driving is not problem.

Good luck with your move to Maine

Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM

113 posts, read 342,347 times
Default Maine could use you both

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargo View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Maine in June. We are both doctors. He will be working in Bangor, and I will be working in Waterville. Ideally, we would like to live somewhere in between the two places. We are both "city folks" and would prefer more populated areas, close to shopping, movies / theater (I understand that Maine is a rural state). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bangor is the most "city" your going to get. Try Camden , Winterport , Belfast areas. They might make up for the small population.

In driving, don't worry about all the "you should drive this kinda car" people!

A front drive car with good snow tires on is all you'll need , with studs even better yet.

However, between Bangor and Waterville on I-95 Please watch for Moose!

You DO NOT want to hit one of these! You could see them as much or more then deer.
Moose are most likely to be seen at dusk and at dawn.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM

113 posts, read 342,347 times
Default Uneducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Do you really consider Maine's children to be uneducated? And if so, what are you doing to improve the situation?
You want to see uneducated? Try California on for size!

In mho , Maine has done a very good job up to this point with K-12.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What specifically did you wish to know?

There are a few towns string along between Bangor and Houlton.

Bangor, Veazie, Orono, Stillwater, Bradley, Old Town, Hudson, Milford, Alton, Argyle, Greenbush, Bradford, LaGrange, Milo, Olamon, Passadumkeag, Howland, Enfield, Medford, Seboeis, Lincoln, Woodville, Mattawamkeag, Medway, Millinocket, Grindstone, Stacyville, Sherman, Crystal, Hersey, Moro, Davidson, Golden Ridge, Patten, Belvedere, Island Falls, Dyer Brook, Oakfield, Smyrna, knowles, Timoney, Ludlow, New Limerick, Houlton.

lets not overlook the metropolis of benedicta......... (just south of sherman)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine