Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,679 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your comments, very helpful. Just to clarify a few things: our jobs are fixed in Bangor and Waterville, so we are looking for a place somewhere in between that is relatively larger..er in comparison to other towns. We could even live closer to Bangor than Waterville. I guess we will look at Newport, maybe Hamden? Other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
There are some very nice homes along the Penobscot River in Hamden. You can boat from there to anywhere on the coast if boating interests you.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 PM

254 posts, read 1,182,998 times
kargo, do you mind if I ask where are you moving from? Big city/small town is all relative, but it may help to know what you are comparing to. There really isn't much between Bangor and Waterville, other than a few dots on the map. No offense to those who may live in those map dots, but for a self described city person, I think it might get a little confining.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Do you really consider Maine's children to be uneducated? And if so, what are you doing to improve the situation?
"Undereducated"? In comparison to what? My daughter's two children are enrolled in a public school in a "nice" town not far from Norfolk, Virginia. It would appear that that system is far superior to the small school that they went to first, in a small town near Belfast. In the end, will their "education" be better than had they stayed in Maine? Probably not, but that will depend upon their mother and dysfunctional father.

A better question is, could the education of Maine's children be better, and would the consolidation of school administrative districts improve the overall quality? That is what the governor is trying to accomplish.

In my town as in many others, the State of Maine is mandating special programs, special teachers and all too often, special circumstances for children with "special needs". Here in this tiny town, we have two children who are receiving their "special needs" at a residential school out of state. The cost of their education, their room and board, AND the cost of ferrying their parents to that location and paying for their motel accomodations while visiting once a month, are all paid for out of the school budget. Over $100,000 per year is devoted to this, from a school that has fewer than 200 students, and a total school budget of around $3 million.

Do I think that our children here are getting a high quality education for $3 million being lavished on fewer than 200 students?

I think that for that kind of money on that number of students, that they ALL should gain instantaneous admittance to Harvard on graduation.

Do I think that the answer is more State regulation of education with more unfunded mandates that the small towns of Maine simply cannot afford? NO.

Do I think that the answer is more local property taxes thrown at the overall problem of teaching kids how to read and write? NO.

Do I think that the answer is local control of local schools? No, but probably more local control that now exists with the State controlling so much of the money that gets divvied out everywhere.

Do I think that the School Departments in general should be responsible for the education of children? NO.

I DO believe that the key to better education in Maine lies within the control of the parents who expect that teachers will TEACH their children everything; that parents must teach their children dicipline before they go into the classroom, and that children who are undiciplined should NOT be allowed to disrupt the learning experience of other children. I also believe that all public education should not be limited to teaching down to the lowest common denominator.

In the end, does this mean that I think that our children are being disserved by the public schools? Not necessarily, but I wonder what is happening when I see young people working in retail establishments who have NO clue what to do when the simple process of making change isn't clearly instructed by the computer screen.

I think if the teachers are allowed to teach, and there is less meddling from political and administrative functionaries, our educational process will likely improve.

As far as "what I am doing about it", aside from trying to vote for the return of "intelligence" to education, nothing. I have been there and done THAT. I spent time teaching the educationally and socially disadvantaged in the inner city at the beginning of my career which was interrupted by a foolish and wasteful war; taught college courses to community members and military personnel at the remote location where I was stationed; raised and sent to college (and graduated) my two children. And now I encourage parents to raise theirs and pay attention to them.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargo View Post
Thanks for all of your comments, very helpful. Just to clarify a few things: our jobs are fixed in Bangor and Waterville, so we are looking for a place somewhere in between that is relatively larger..er in comparison to other towns. We could even live closer to Bangor than Waterville. I guess we will look at Newport, maybe Hamden? Other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again!
It has been said here already that between Bangor and Waterville, there is very little in the way of towns. That is very true: the towns are very small, and that may have a lot of impact on where you end up.

One question that I want to ask here is, "who does the grocery shopping"?
It may well be that you will be best served to live close to Bangor, because there are much better choices for grocery shopping in Bangor than in Waterville. Waterville is a pleasant town, and there are large grocery stores there, but Bangor is a big city in comparison, and you will find much more there, than anywhere else outside of Portland.

Fifty miles between the Bangor and Waterville. Eventually, it will seem like a long way for someone, although living in a small town in the center, and commuting on the Interstate won't be too terrible weather wise.

You also could live on the coast, if being near the ocean is of any value to you. Belfast to Bangor or Waterville isn't a terrible commute, although the winter travel will be a bit more challenging. Even Ellsworth to Waterville isn't out of the question, and Ellsworth gives easy and fast access to Acadia National Park.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 AM

333 posts, read 873,378 times
The Newport, Pittsfield area, and the small towns that surround them seems to be overlooked lately. The Sebasticook Valley area has been growing slowly but improves every year. Pittsfield does have a modern hospital.Newport and Pittsfield both have newly remodeled Hannaford Stores (Bud's). There is over 15 lakes and ponds within 10 miles of either interstate exits and lots of real-estate for sale. And the school districts MSAD 48 and MSAD 53 are just as good as any in the State. I can drive to Waterville,Bangor,Skowhegan or Augusta in 40 minutes or less. Please give this area a look..

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,303 times
i am looking for my father when i was 1 yars old he went in NEW JERS and i want to find him i am living in georgia sity tbilisi

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 11,679 times
Hi everyone and again, thanks for all of your input. I think we'll have to start looking at places closer to Bangor instead of in btw Bangor and Waterville. In terms of where we'll be moving from (in response to libbykt), we've lived all over: NYC, LA and now Minneapolis...I know, I know...Maine be will quite a rural change for us. Well, sometimes because of work and other circumstances there is not much you can do about where your place of habitat will be. In response to the shopping question (thanks Acadianlion) since I am the one who does most of shopping and other running around, again living closer to Bangor looks like a better choice. Any input on Hampden?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 PM

73 posts, read 148,183 times
I hope you find your new move to Maine a good one. You have lived in the large cities. It might be a welcomed relief to get away from that go go go life and be able to sit back and look out the window and enjoy. You can always drive to the city to see a show or two. They might not be like those in NYC or Minneapolis, but good all the same. We have some wonderful talent here in Maine, and they enjoy sharing their talent with the rest of us Mainers.
Sue from Maine

Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM

15 posts, read 57,124 times
can anyone advise on the areas north of bangor? say, between bangor and houlton?

thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine