Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times

Advertisements

I OWN A SHOP IN NORTHERN MAINE AND ITS BY A SMALL STREAM AND I WOULD LIKE TO ADD ON TO IT ... THE BUILDING IS 25 YEARS OLD AND THE CODE OFFICER SAID BY PUTTING A ROOF ON AND OVER MY OTHER BUILDINGS ... KEEPING THEM ALL UNDER ONE ROOF.. THAT IM ADDING VOLUME AND I CANT DO THAT ...????? SOMETHING LIKE 30% IS THE MAX. ON BUILDING ON ???? BY THIS STREAM ??? HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT I CAN DO ON THIS DILEMA ?? AND WHAT CAN THEY DO TO ME IF I JUST BUILD IT ANYWAYS ???? MAYBE A FINE ?? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Build on against the word of the code enforcement and you will lose the use of the building until it comes into compliance. They can and WILL fine you and it could be a substantial amount. Don't push your luck with the code enforcement people especially after you talk to them, you can and will lose every single time.

Reference: 20 years dealing with the code enforcement people in Northern Maine area.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Being near a stream is a problem. With current law you simply can not build near a stream, your building was likely built before those laws came into effect so it is grandfathered.

Being only 25 years old the building is not really 'old' at all.

If he is saying that you can only expand your building by a max of 30%, then expand it to 30%, add exactly that much onto one side. And in five years do it again.

You mention it sounds like, combining multiple buildings underneath a single roof, which he is having heartburn with.

One angle I have seen, is to do a big job, in small steps.

Could you possibly enlarge one building's roof by 30%. And then as a separate project enlarge the second building's roof by 30%, until they each meet? They certainly do not have to have a single roof line.

One thing about dealing with a town, their is nobody above the town that you can really go to, if they are reading the codes wrong. But even if the code enforcement officer says that you can do 'X', then you simply need to file for a 'variance'. You may need to go before the town planning commission, and explain to them why you want to do 'X', how you plan to do 'X', and how it will effect the town. They vote on it, and then you can do it.

None of the codes are completely carved in stone, you can always file for a variance, and if the town planning commission agrees with your reasoning, then they can give you a variance and your good.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:36 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
All zoning codes regarding shore land zoning or resource protection are determined by the state and not the municipality you reside in.
The 30% rule is used when the "addition" you propose, is within these areas.
Usually the 30% can be an upper story or adding away from the body of water.
From the sound of your post, it seems as though some of your outbuildings do not have roofs. By adding a roof, you are increasing the square footage and this will be used to calculate the 30% rule.

Under no circumstances would I proceed without the proper permits from the CEO. In resource protection or shore land zoning they WILL make you take it down.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM

169 posts, read 550,162 times
don't take this as the gospel, but my experience here on the coast regarding additions to non conforming structures (due to setbacks) is that you can have a ONE TIME 30% expansion by VOLUME.

the ONE TIME thing speaks for itself. not every five years, ONE TIME.

by VOLUME i mean you measure the number of CUBIC feet enclosed by the roof and walls (including non living space in an attic space, for instance) and then you figure up what 30% of that is in cubic feet, and then you can have that many cubic feet added to your structure, usually away from and not towards the stream or wetland that makes it a nonconforming structure to begin with.

hope this is helpful and please check its accuracy with your local CEO.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
The real authority here in addition to the Code Enforcement Officer, is the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. There will be NO variance issued by the Planning Board or Board of Appeals that doesn't conform to the shoreland zoning regulations enforced by Maine DEP.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:01 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Does anyone know the exact terminology regarding stream front?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
This can be called either the Resource Protection Zone, or Shoreland Zone.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:36 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
And as far as I know, most towns won't just charge you a little fine- usually, it's a daily recurring fine that doesn't stop until the building comes into compliance.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,128 times
Thanks To All Of You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine