Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,618 times

Advertisements

I keep reading about the dreaded black flies.
My sister cut her vacation short while camping somewhere in Maine a few years ago due to being *attacked* by the flies constantly.

Here's my question...are they EVERYWHERE?
Are there certain parts of the state where they are worse? We are thinking of moving to one of the smaller towns around the Augusta/Waterville area and I'm curious what the black fly population is like there (I can't find town specific info...maybe it doesn't exist?). I would love to hear about this area in particular, but also about the flies and just how bad it is.

I HATE horseflies at the beach (ow)...so I'm a little concerned about these black flies that caused my sister, brother in law, and thier children to abandon their vacation. I'm having a hard time picturing it being so severe that they would leave, but she told me that they were relentless and that they were all very miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 AM

16 posts, read 127,839 times
It isn't so much where the black flies are as WHEN they are. The most dismal time of year in Maine is the mud and fly season which runs roughly March through June depending very much on the weather. Once you get into warmer weather they aren't really a problem.

Realize that the black flies are probably not what you envision. They are more like gnats than flies and they can be overwhelming as they swarm around. I am actually allergic to them and spend as much of the black fly season indoors as possible. It is early enough in the year that a long sleeved shirt and pants still feel good also so that helps to protect, especially kids.

Also beware of the "no see ums" which are tiny, bite and will come right through a conventional screen.

I would encourage you to lean much more toward Augusta than Waterville. Although Waterville is in many ways prettier, they have alot of drug and welfare problems and were the unfortunate recipient of many rather angry somalians who overflowed from Lewiston.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 21,565 times
Anyone who lives in Downeast Maine would laugh at that question. But it is true, that it's more, When are they...spring. In Wash County they impact your spring plans. You need a bug shirt to go outside. Sea kayaking becomes your new outdoor activity. No blackflies on the ocean. But then, no Ya-hoos in the woods. Good trade off. If you stick to southern Maine you won't have to deal with the real elements like blackflies.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 AM

423 posts, read 1,930,873 times
Black flies are only around for a short period. The only bad experience i've had with them is going canoeing down some rivers. They are bad around lowland areas where there is mud and swampy areas just like misquitos. If you are in woods or on a lawn that isnt around low areas it wont really be a problem.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 AM

71 posts, read 252,246 times
Default In due season they are everywhere . . .

Black flies breed in running water, whereas mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Maine has a lot of moving waters. Your first experience with them will be quite memorable!

However, they are very lightweight, and if you are in a windy place (such as the coast), they cannot land on you to bite.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Oh you guys are great...thanks.
I was interested in some houses that were near China and Threemile pond, we wouldn't actually be living in Waterville (maybe working...not sure yet but thanks for the info). Now I'm wondering if living so near a pond is a great idea.
I know questions like the one I've asked...living on the Cape I get questions like mine a lot and I snicker inside(do I know the Kennedy's...why yes...yes I do...oh boy). I almost knew as soon as I typed it what I would sound like...LOL...but I had to know if they *swarmed in an area*...hehehe. Oh...and you're right, I totally pictured a larger fly type of bug.

Are these bugs so annoying and upsetting that they would cause someone to not move to Maine? My sister and bro in law are really concerned for me with these bugs. They said their vacation was completely miserable. It's hard for me to even picture bugs that bad!

The Cape is loaded with "winter moths" these hatch in May and eat every leaf off all my trees (and the entire area's trees). We don't have leaves here now till July...sad. They dangle from the trees (by the thousands) and are just plain gross...but they don't bite. They seem to be clustered in certain areas only though, as my parents in Falmouth don't have them. So I thought maybe the flies were similar.

Ok...living where you live (anyone who cares to answer) with what you know about the flies...would you still live where you're at?

I hope I'm not being a complete simpleton here!

Joanne

Old 10-31-2006, 10:35 AM

What if I brought a fan outside with me? LOL
Interesting, I'm also looking at a house that has a running little waterfall behind it...so that would be a black fly breeding ground? Oh good to know! In MA our mosquitoes now carry disease (west nile, triple E) does ME have this problem yet? We've had a few deaths.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Black flies breed in running water, whereas mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. Maine has a lot of moving waters. Your first experience with them will be quite memorable!

However, they are very lightweight, and if you are in a windy place (such as the coast), they cannot land on you to bite.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 60,560 times
Are these black flies anything like the little sand flies in the Carolina's? I'm in a panic. Time to fly into reseach mode. Any help out there?

Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM

LOL! What the heck are sand flies? Don't bring 'em with you up here ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut mommy View Post
Are these black flies anything like the little sand flies in the Carolina's? I'm in a panic. Time to fly into reseach mode. Any help out there?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:25 PM

6 posts, read 60,560 times
I was in South Carolina for a short time and they have these teeny tiny flies. They may actually call them Sand Fleas.They swarm like gnats and bite like something I can't say online. Being allergic to both the flies and bug repellant. My arms would be covered with them as they feasted. Then somebody let me some of Avon's Skin So Soft. They stayed away after that. Has anybody tried this for the black flies yet? Let me know if I should start stocking up before I move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine