Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 39,654 times

Advertisements

My family would like to travel up to Maine the last week in May. Apparently, this is the middle of black fly season. I was wondering if the black flies are a serious problem near the coast, since that is where we were planning to be. We were thinking of staying in Ogunquit or Wells, near Portland, Camden, and/or Bar Harbor. Can anyone tell me how much of a problem black flies would be in those places? And is there a bug repellant that really keeps them away? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM

161 posts, read 418,725 times
Default The Black Fly Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbet46 View Post
My family would like to travel up to Maine the last week in May. Apparently, this is the middle of black fly season. I was wondering if the black flies are a serious problem near the coast, since that is where we were planning to be. We were thinking of staying in Ogunquit or Wells, near Portland, Camden, and/or Bar Harbor. Can anyone tell me how much of a problem black flies would be in those places? And is there a bug repellant that really keeps them away? Thanks.
Here is a link to the black fly report. Historical maps are available.

Maine Nature News - Current Black Fly Report

Alan

Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Usually coastal areas aren't affected as much as inland due to sea breezes.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM

189 posts, read 301,353 times
I've found they're not much of a problem directly (and I do mean directly) on the coast, but a little wooded patch five minutes inland can be a completely different matter.

If you've never experienced black flies, it's impossible for anybody to tell you whether they'll be a problem for you or not. They seem to leave some people alone and make a real meal of others. I've been out walking with people who didn't get a single bite or even notice black flies were around, while I had a bloodied scalp and was bitten so badly that my eye bulged out like Popeye's and turned completely black. If they take a liking to you, they can be really vicious and will bite where you've never been bitten before. They'll also crawl inside elasticized long sleeves and get into your hat if it's not practically glued to your head. Then again, there are those who walk with seeming impunity while I have a cloud around my head that accompanies me wherever I go.

I haven't found anything that helps to keep them away if they really think you're a tasty morsel. If you have no experience with them, I'd advise staying close to the shore. Very close.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Ah, yes; the annual question. Black flies are most numerous near clean fast flowing fresh water streams. They are least numerous on long points that jut out into the ocean. They appear first in southern Maine and they emerge further north as streams warm up.

As to trout fishing, "When the flies are bitin' the fish are bitin'."

Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Ben's 100 is the only thing that has worked for me. Not sure you can even buy it anymore. I stocked up a few years back when they started diluting it. I know people who swear by various herbal remedies -- pennyroyal and citrus seem to be popular -- but all they do for me is attract more blackflies. And I already draw every biting insect within a five mile radius.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:43 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
Hubby was telling me that one of the guys at work was fishing when he noticed blood on his hands. When he rolled his sleeves up, blood was running down his arms from where black flies had bitten him. Gee, I'm glad we have a screened in porch.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Black flies don't bother me at all. It is one of the main benefits of being a curmudgeon.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
You can get Ben's 100 and Repel both up here. We need it. I don't use bug dope much. I'm one of those people not affected much by black flies. I think we develop an immunity over time. We ran into a family on top of North Traveler Mountain once and they came running over to us asking, "What is happening to us?" I told them they were black fly bites.

"But we have not seen any black flies." I showed them some hiking around on their clothes.

"These little things do THIS?"

Yes, indeed. I gave them some bug dope. On the way back down there was a couple sitting on top of a rock ledge looking down onto Lower South Branch Pond. A big black bear walked along just behind them. The bear stopped, looked at the couple and went on his way. The couple never saw the bear.

I went down to them and said, "Nice view." We spoke for a moment and I told them about the bear. They thought I was kidding them. I told them to write their address on a piece of paper and I would mail them a photo of them with the bear less than 10 feet from them.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Black flies don't bother me at all. It is one of the main benefits of being a curmudgeon.
Teach me, Obi-Wan, teach me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine