Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times

Advertisements

It's about the same here. We can't go outside in the warm months after 4pm or so. The only thing is, the warm months are 9 months out of the year. If you only suffer the pesky critters 3 months, you're so lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
true, it's only 3 months or so....but unfortunately, for many those are the three months that they look forward to the most. If you are not a big fan of winter, spring/summer is the thing you look forward to the most....the ONLY time you get to put on t-shirts and shorts ! The fall is lovely, and pretty much bug-free, but much cooler. So, if you like warm weather it's a bit of a problem .

Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 PM

13 posts, read 74,247 times
We have sand Flea's They are NOT fun.. Landed in some on Sebago awhile ago. It was quite memorable..

Old 05-12-2007, 04:57 AM

290 posts, read 637,423 times
Interesting black fly info:

http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html (broken link)

Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 AM

42 posts, read 177,641 times
Good article, thanks for sharing it. I had my first black fly experience last evening at my daughter's Tball practice. They way they were described to me, I thought they were what we from the Jersey shore called "no see ums". They too hover around your face, get stuck in your hair, fly up your nose, etc. The black flies are about 2 times the size of the no see ums. We were doused in Cutter spray which worked for about 3 minutes after application. I was bitten a few times. They werent as bad as the bites from the no see ums, those actually sort of pinch. But they itched like mad. I think I'm going to start wearing a huge veil, like in the pics from the article virginia girl linked. Maybe I'll start a trend.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,072 times
Default FREAKING out about black flies!!!!!

We're suppose to go to pt sebago and as of now we're booked for june 17 - 21st. should we worry about the black flies. We all hate bugs w/a passion. DARN it, decisions!!!!!!!

Anyone know how buggy that area is (pt sebago/casco maine?) Obviously it's a lake and woodsy area, if you had to guess, when would the best time to go be? HELP.

MANY THANKS!!!!!

Last edited by mommycal; 05-14-2007 at 05:24 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 11:13 AM

71 posts, read 421,745 times
If you can choose your vacation time and you are concerned about black flies, or bugs in general, you might want to consider visiting in the Fall. The temperatures are much cooler and you don't have the flies or mosquitoes as bad at that time.

Otherwise, I wouldn't cancel a chance to visit Caso or anywhere in Maine just because of some flies. By spray, dress appropriately and enjoy your visit. There's so much, much more to Maine than the bugs!!!!

Have fun!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy View Post
They werent as bad as the bites from the no see ums, those actually sort of pinch. But they itched like mad. I think I'm going to start wearing a huge veil, like in the pics from the article virginia girl linked. Maybe I'll start a trend.
LOL I like the veil idea! I'm in FL and we have no-see-ums in certain areas and they are HORRIBLE. I used to think mosquito bites itched; no-see-um bites are 10 times more irritating and itchy and take longer to heal then any other flying insect bite I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

What about cockroaches though. Does Maine have cockroaches?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:53 AM

290 posts, read 637,423 times
Angry Black Fly Report

http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly.html#map

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/images.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-31-2007, 02:13 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
I haven't got black flies yet, but I could likely kill about a BAZILLION ants in my house right now... (Deer Isle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine