Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM

85 posts, read 406,054 times

Advertisements

Wear a long sleeved shirt during black fly season. Those little critters have a hellava bite.....backyard bar-b-q's can be an experience for those who never had to deal with these particular species. Every part of the state is infested later in the summer....good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 PM

406 posts, read 1,655,379 times
Well it looks as if we're going to be looking at Waldo county now...possibly Montville or Palermo. The properties we've been looking at are very wooded. We've been up to Maine a few times this winter (we have bare ground here on the Cape!). It's been an adventure and it hasn't turned us off in the least. We'll be in Maine by summer (fingers crossed)...just in time for the flies!
I'll be investing in the proper gear and some spray (my realtor just laughs at me...she's a Maine native).
Honestly, we can't wait to be up there full time...we love it!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:04 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Look the mosquitoes arrive in a heavy wave.

I spray all standing water two weeks before the first wave. All the native locals around here know and will tell you exactly when the first wave of mosquitoes will hit. I spray standing water every week, for the first month of the primary mosquito wave. After that I back off to spraying once every two weeks, and the mosquitoes are not so bad.

The black fly arrives in a wave, later. There are websites that track the black fly. Last year we [my county] did not even have any black fly wave, the black flys swept through the state but the waves went by us.

Black fly does not lay their eggs in standing water, rather they lay their eggs on the underside of leaves in the dew drops.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:31 AM

290 posts, read 637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff30329 View Post
Wear a long sleeved shirt during black fly season. Those little critters have a hellava bite.....backyard bar-b-q's can be an experience for those who never had to deal with these particular species. Every part of the state is infested later in the summer....good luck.
Get ready...they're coming!!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/closet-1.gif (broken link)

Old 04-21-2007, 05:58 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,366,717 times
Mosquitos were out in Turner today!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:52 PM

We went out kayaking this afternoon, did not detect any.

Clear sunny and just great!

Old 04-22-2007, 05:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,524,069 times
BTW, never get between mamma Bush and China at the outlet mall in Kennebunk and NEVER get between Stephen King and a cheesecake at the Bangor Sams LOL[/quote]

If i ever got to meet Stephen King, I might even make him a cheescake! BThat is too funny but I'll keep that advice in mind when we head up in September!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:41 PM

Black fly [family Simuliidae genus Simulium] travel through the state in localized waves. Each wave travels a short distance, breeds and dies; then a week later the next generation hatches, travels and breeds again.

There have been websites where an attempt is made to track the migration of each wave.

Right now I do not seem to find the current site tracking them for this up coming season.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 AM

117 posts, read 431,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
I keep reading about the dreaded black flies.
My sister cut her vacation short while camping somewhere in Maine a few years ago due to being *attacked* by the flies constantly.

Here's my question...are they EVERYWHERE?
Are there certain parts of the state where they are worse? We are thinking of moving to one of the smaller towns around the Augusta/Waterville area and I'm curious what the black fly population is like there (I can't find town specific info...maybe it doesn't exist?). I would love to hear about this area in particular, but also about the flies and just how bad it is.

I HATE horseflies at the beach (ow)...so I'm a little concerned about these black flies that caused my sister, brother in law, and thier children to abandon their vacation. I'm having a hard time picturing it being so severe that they would leave, but she told me that they were relentless and that they were all very miserable.
Yes, they are everywhere and they attack certain people more than others. Don't ask me why, but that is how they have been with my family.
What works against them is eucalyptus oil ...

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
I so agree with rabbitlover! My husband gets bit more than I do. There have been times when you can see them around his head, and none are around me. We'll definately try the eucalyptus oil! Wonder if that would work for mosquitos too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine