Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times

Advertisements

We've been lucky---just as they started biting last week the wind picked up and hasn't stopped. Level 2 here in Wells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,750 times
Where are the blackflies? Mostly, nibbling on my ears!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
Blackflies near about carried me away while mowing. I only got one bite but, I think I ate forty or so it seemed. The swarms in my face convinced me to remember to get safety glasses.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
I had them landing in my beer yesterday. Must be attracted to the CO2. Guess I'll have to switch back to the long necks with the lime "stopper" to keep them out of the suds.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
Does anyone know if Black Flies exist in Southern California? My fiance has a sister who lives in Maine who is actually deathly allergic to Black Flies. (She never leaves her home unless wearing a full body net suit.) We are planning to have our wedding in San Diego in Oct 2012 at an outdoor venue and would love her to come, but we need to find out if Black Flies exist in the San Diego area before she's willing to attend. Can anyone tell me who I should talk to or contact to find out about whether San Diego has these pests?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,746,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxing27 View Post
Does anyone know if Black Flies exist in Southern California? My fiance has a sister who lives in Maine who is actually deathly allergic to Black Flies. (She never leaves her home unless wearing a full body net suit.) We are planning to have our wedding in San Diego in Oct 2012 at an outdoor venue and would love her to come, but we need to find out if Black Flies exist in the San Diego area before she's willing to attend. Can anyone tell me who I should talk to or contact to find out about whether San Diego has these pests?

Call me crazy, but wouldn't the San Diego forum be the place to start?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxing27 View Post

cg1 has a good point- might want to do some research in san diego

Just a couple suggestions- maybe instead of releasing butterflies, release some dragonflies- just do it a little earlier

wd-40 works pretty good as a repellent, and it has a sweet smell to it

if its a windy day- you are all set

I remember years ago being part of an outdoor wedding, and one of the uncle's at the rehearsal dinner asked "what are we going to do to keep the flies off the bride"?
which didnt go over too well on the brides side of the table

Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...wd-40 works pretty good as a repellent, and it has a sweet smell to it...
is that because they slide right off?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
dont kid yourselves. the blackflies in 2012 season have already appeared but they are invisible this year! They are commonly known as wings with teeth. they stay all of may (hence the name May fly) and into the first part of June, with an overlap of mosquitoes, then the blackflies mostly go away and you just have mosquitoes...i mean, MOSQUITOES!. I am from the south so i know what mosquitoes are. You will go from car to house and wonder later why your body itches. My daughter thinks she has zits but she has blackfly bites! They bite, leave their poison, it errupts, then oozes and you go for several weeks trying to heal from the bite. Nothing keeps them off you, no matter what they tell you, nothing eases the pain of the bite, and there is nothing we can do about it except hope that the bats come out early, the birds are hungry, and the dragonflies will be big and prolific this year. I would say come anytime after June, and if you go kayaking on any water, just know that nothing will be left but your boat. I am not kidding. August is the best month, the mosquitoes are tired, the blackfly predators are out and it has finally quit raining.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM

37,460 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberfever View Post
dont kid yourselves. the blackflies in 2012 season have already appeared ...
The 'Black Fly Report' does not show any reports of black fly so far this year.

Quote:
... but they are invisible this year! They are commonly known as wings with teeth. they stay all of may (hence the name May fly) and into the first part of June, with an overlap of mosquitoes, then the blackflies mostly go away and you just have mosquitoes...i mean, MOSQUITOES!. I am from the south so i know what mosquitoes are. You will go from car to house and wonder later why your body itches. My daughter thinks she has zits but she has blackfly bites! They bite, leave their poison, it errupts, then oozes and you go for several weeks trying to heal from the bite. Nothing keeps them off you, no matter what they tell you, nothing eases the pain of the bite, and there is nothing we can do about it except hope that the bats come out early, the birds are hungry, and the dragonflies will be big and prolific this year. I would say come anytime after June, and if you go kayaking on any water, just know that nothing will be left but your boat. I am not kidding. August is the best month, the mosquitoes are tired, the blackfly predators are out and it has finally quit raining.
We had them bad here one year, for two weeks, and of course then they were gone.

We have had seen much of them since.

They come through the state in waves, and then they leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine