Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:25 AM

411 posts, read 900,386 times

Advertisements

A winter memory from childhood: We lived in CT, and had so much snow one year (had to be between the years of 85-89 as I know we lived w/ my uncle at the time) that we had two wonderful things happen.

1. The adults in our lives built my cousin and I a serious sleddding ramp down the backyard. It was built about 6 feet high at the top of the driveway, and it went about 100 yards down the slope of the backyard, where it ended at the ditch in the very back. The end of the ramp curled up and around so that when you reached the end you'd simply go around and up, and end up safely at the left of the ramp. Hard to explain. It was built totally of hard-packed snow. The adults would have a glass of wine or two at night, go out and pour water on the whole thing, and slide till the wee hours. We had that thing till May!!!

2. A friend down the road had her grandfather over for a weekend. He proceeded to build a couple 7 foot tall or so dinosaurs, an igloo, and a snow car for us!!! It was great, and then he played with us for hours. We had so much fun that year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
...To build an igloo like you see way up north in Eskimo land, it has to be a thicker and colder snow than we generally get here. You actually cut the blocks out of a windblown packed area and use them just like building blocks....
This made me think of cutting the blocks out of the snowbanks, and stacking them to make the forts....and then there are those storms that you get and you can cut the blocks right out of the snow and stack them.

One of the conditions I like best though is when you get the snow, then the ice coating on top of it--thick enough to go sliding on! That's fun!!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,976,976 times
ya-ya's and yo-yo's get ready for a snowball fight!!!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM

612 posts, read 1,218,206 times
Quote:
Here are a couple of shots of my boys waiting for the bus this morning. Took them just so all of you who are waiting to come, can show the kiddos what they can look forward to here.
Oh my gosh...what an awesome sight!!...I haven't seen that much snow since 1988 when I lived in Tennessee. It is 82 degrees today here in Florida...wish I could be at home in Eastport.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
Holy cow!! That was quite a little snow!!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,715,261 times
Some may have heard of Outward Bound which is an adventure program for adults. In Maine we have "Maine Bound" for kids. It's run by the university and is atttended mostly by kids of faculty members. I used to race sled dogs and was the furst Maine guide ever to take people out on winter trips with a sled dog team. The Maine Wardens didn't quite know how to take my proposal, but they got used to it.

I had a whole bunch of Maine Bound kids out on a frozen lake. They had a fire and were cooking hot dogs, roasting marshmallows and heating hot chocolate. I asked the kids whta this was and held up a nylon cord about 4 feet long. "It's a string" they said.

"OK, but what kind of string?" This is an igloo string. I had them use the string to draw a circle. Then we cut snow blocks with my snow saw and made a ring on the ice. As each row of blocks went up the string was used to make each row closer to the center and tipped in. It forms an arch. Cut the door when you are done. You can heat an igloo with a candle. It goes up to 32 degrees and with no wind you can be comfortable.

Just one of the things I have done along the way.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Bydand great face on the older boy! too funny.
Yeah he was right at that moment trying to convince me there was still time to miss the bus and stay home, and trying to get me to stay out of sight with the camera so nobody on the bus saw me. LOL

I should have ran out there and given him a big hug, but figured he would have died out of embarrassment.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,564,587 times
Quote:
Here are a couple of shots of my boys waiting for the bus this morning. Took them just so all of you who are waiting to come, can show the kiddos what they can look forward to here.
You have to love kids who don't think going to school after 10" of snow is a big deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I was all pumped up over the last one where they said our area would definately get 12 inches and probably closer to 20-24 inches. Oh well...we only got 8
You can come get all of Sunday's snow. I'll share with you.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Wind is starting to pick up right now and this light snow is starting to blow and drift. Looks like Blue skies to the West though, So I hope it is just a front moving through.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,564,587 times
Before I could get last night's snow cleaned off the greenhouse and shovel out what turned out to be a foot of snow, it started snowing again. I'm looking out the window at blue sky and falling snow now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine