Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I'm glad you said that, Coaster (can't rep you anymore either!). I have TWC, and a couple of months ago I got a marketing call, that I could switch to an upgrade that was 'lightning fast on as many terminals as are open'. I was annoyed and said, I am supposed to have that ALREADY, so no thank you. Well, all of a sudden my internet slowed down and now it is super slow.

What TWC needs is real competition. Wish I had the wherewithall to start my own cable/internet company. I would blanket this state in broadband. I think that's the real answer to economic advancement in this state, not the wind turbines or oilsands from Canada or whatever.
In the D.C. area Fios took over by storm and the cable company had to actually compete. Here in Maine they have no competition, so they just keep shafting people. First they started charging you for the the cable modem you need to use their internet service, then they raised the price of that rental. Without competition ... well, don't pick up the soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 AM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Timewarner cable would be your best bet. ...
My 'best bet' is to move?

I do not see how that is a best anything.

Quote:
... Looks like your "blazing hot" internet is fizzling...
When you live in paradise you take what you can get.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,027,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I'm glad you said that, Coaster (can't rep you anymore either!). I have TWC, and a couple of months ago I got a marketing call, that I could switch to an upgrade that was 'lightning fast on as many terminals as are open'. I was annoyed and said, I am supposed to have that ALREADY, so no thank you. Well, all of a sudden my internet slowed down and now it is super slow.

What TWC needs is real competition. Wish I had the wherewithall to start my own cable/internet company. I would blanket this state in broadband. I think that's the real answer to economic advancement in this state, not the wind turbines or oilsands from Canada or whatever.
They advertise the same packages to everyone, but they're not capable of delivering the speeds they promise to everyone.

We had that issue at my parents a couple years ago, where they had the "lightning fast" which wasn't that fast... My South Portland connection was much better.

A tech came by, we talked in the driveway, and he left. He didn't do anything. Why? He said he's required to come by, but there wasn't anything he could do. I had the better internet because South Portland had upgraded cables, but where my parents were had not. Until they did that, my parents couldn't get better internet, but TWC would be more than happy to bill them for it in the mean time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My 'best bet' is to move?

I do not see how that is a best anything.
Was for the OP.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 AM

476 posts, read 749,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
To OP, in Maine you need cable service to get the bandwidth that you are talking about, at least in most of Maine. I'm not sure if southern Maine has fiber optic technology yet (e.g. Fios). If so, then that would be an option, but otherwise look for cable service.
Thanks very much. That helps focus our parameters a lot!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Not sure about other parts of Maine, but here near Augusta we have Time Warner Cable. They can probably provide you with what you need. My husband says we get 15 Mbps.

Have fun home shopping!
Thanks! We're at the point where all the homes are just beginning to "blur" together… whew!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Great links, thanks for taking the time to put it together. I just went through all of them, and it was helpful to learn from the groundwork laid by others.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,100,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Try something like: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test to test your internet speed.

There are a bunch of things to use to clean-up your PC
Thanks. I pinged 25 ms. My download speed is 16.3 Mbps and upload is 4.35 Mbps. Is that good?

BTW, I have a MacBook.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Thanks. I pinged 25 ms. My download speed is 16.3 Mbps and upload is 4.35 Mbps. Is that good?

BTW, I have a MacBook.
For Maine, yes.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,703,308 times
We use Fairpoint for internet. Just got an offer in the mail to upgrade from 3 Mbps to 15 Mbps. We've been really happy with Fairpoint. Their # is 877-779-8927 or Residential Services | Fairpoint Communications.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Fairpoint internet depends on how far you are from one of their hubs, so look that up first. My parents switched to fairpoint not too long ago, sometimes it reminds me of dial up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine