Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 28,713 times

Advertisements

been reading lots of info on milfoil just wondering what peoples thoughts are. It seems to spread each year and while Maine is not nearly as bad as NH is still seems to be worse each year.

My thoughts are the entire state will at some point (5, 10, 20 years out) have milfoil.

anyone live on a lake with milfoil that can share some stories good or bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,454,490 times
A few links:
Lakes Environmental Association
Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed

(Disclaimer: We are new to Maine. ) Milfoil has plagued a few lakes in southern Maine, but my impression is that Maine residents take the threat of invasive plants like milfoil very seriously and work diligently to prevent any spread of them. Programs to remove/kill the plants (using mats and removal by hand), combined with boat inspectors at the boat launches, are active here in the Augusta area. After we moved here, we participated in a workshop on invasive plants--very informative. Public access seems to be what determines the spread of invasive aquatic plants.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM

we just bought a place near augusta on a lake. One by one area lakes get hit.. Great Pond is now fighting milfoil which means long pond will get it at some point as well. messalonskee and Salmon lake have it. And those are the big Belgrade lakes with lots of people and money to fight it. If the smaller lakes start to get it without as much resources it will be worse.

Typically once it is in a watershed it gets in all the lakes connected.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1212 View Post
we just bought a place near augusta on a lake. One by one area lakes get hit.. Great Pond is now fighting milfoil which means long pond will get it at some point as well. messalonskee and Salmon lake have it. And those are the big Belgrade lakes with lots of people and money to fight it. If the smaller lakes start to get it without as much resources it will be worse.

Typically once it is in a watershed it gets in all the lakes connected.
Well okay then. Is the effort to protect the lakes just a big waste of time, energy and money? We should all give up and accept that milfoil is inevitable? If everyone were to think that way, then it would be much worse than it currently is. Have you considered becoming a volunteer boat inspector or lake monitor?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM

whew now hold up there! I am absolutely going to volunteer. I dont think anyone should give up at all but that does not imply things dont look like an uphill fight.

Was more wondering if anyone has experience dealing with it and what they have found.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM

19,989 posts, read 30,484,771 times
Quote:
whew now hold up there! I am absolutely going to volunteer. I dont think anyone should give up at all but that does not imply things dont look like an uphill fight.

Was more wondering if anyone has experience dealing with it and what they have found.
some watersheds will plan time and effort to try to eradicate milfoil in different places...

i live on the water-part of cobbossee watershed- and they have done alot to curtail milfoil- wardens will be at launch stations, inspecting boats/outboards

like all weeds that grow in my "recreation swath" (a term the state uses that you can clear in the water-its 10 ft in this town,,,but i took it as ten ft per year,,they weren't too clear at the town office
anyways, ive picked it out .... like all the other weeds-
someone said they dont grow in over 12 ft of water--not sure about that

you can also lay screen mesh down and throw sand/rocks on that-that smothers the weeds
(i read that somewhere)

Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:

The smile/wink emoticons meant I was being good-natured, by the way. We have been volunteers. My husband has worked with Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed and my family took the workshop class. Milfoil is not in our lake but it is nearby.

mainebrokerman, we probably drive past each other often!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM

259 posts, read 439,799 times
Milfoil...milf oil....kinda made me chuckle

Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 AM

885 posts, read 1,506,282 times
good catch dc.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine