Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM

653 posts, read 1,920,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I knew of a man who tried the live off the land approach with his son. He had moved here from California with dreams of getting back to nature etc. He got a late start and had no real idea of how bad the winters can get.The town ended up paying for a motel room for them about mid January when they were found nearly frozen to death in the house they were renting. He moved back to California the next spring.
great post ! thanks mainenah, hope this would not happen to us, may be I should try my first Maine winter by myself, so it would not scare wife to death and make us move back to Florida/Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
An easier approach practiced by a large number of Mainers is living with the land.
Just about everyone I know uses this approach. They supplement many aspects of their lives by a variety of methods. Some grow big gardens,some tap their own maple trees,some raise sheep for wool,some raise chickens, pigs or a beef critter,some make quilts, bake their own breads, preserve their own food, make their own beer and wine, dig clams, catch fish, pick fiddleheads, hunt deer, moose and partridge... the list goes on. You can do as little or as much as you are comfortable with.
No matter what you do you will get a great satisfaction of having done it on your own.
Nothing matches the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

If you're interested in expanding the growing season you might be interested in this article (broken link). Scroll down to low tunnels. There's no reason to wait until the traditional growing season and stop when the frost comes if you're willing to learn. Open invitation - I'll teach anyone who wants to learn what I know. It's not difficult. Make sure you show up in Maine with money for groceries while you get through the learning curve but really, it's not that hard or expensive.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
You can be sure I will visit from time to time to follow you around, see what you have done and are doing, and pick your brain (and lend a hand while I am there, of course.)

No reason to re-invent the wheel when I can learn from someone else's experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Nothing matches the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

If you're interested in expanding the growing season you might be interested in this article (broken link). Scroll down to low tunnels. There's no reason to wait until the traditional growing season and stop when the frost comes if you're willing to learn. Open invitation - I'll teach anyone who wants to learn what I know. It's not difficult. Make sure you show up in Maine with money for groceries while you get through the learning curve but really, it's not that hard or expensive.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Shearling lined, full length suede coat - yes or no? Looks very cozy!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:34 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
lol....the best bet is to have more than one coat....different coats are good for different things Down is very warm, but you don't want it to get wet--it gets heavy. For storms the best bet is something wind and water proof. Wool is great, and is great as a liner in a coat too

oh, and boots are the same way..

Old 01-03-2008, 06:36 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Shearling lined, full length suede coat - yes or no? Looks very cozy!
yes please

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM

thanks MW, the low tunnels growing method seem to be managable, We so use to cook with green leaves vegetabels year round, just saute them with oil and garlic sometime with tofu over rice, it satisfy us just fine. I may have to learn to dehydrate them or learn to prepare food from root vetgetabels that can last longer in cold storage for the winter months to cut down trip to grocery store.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
You can blanche and freeze most green leafy vegetables like Spinach, Kale and Collards. Then you have them all winter long. We have a nice lady from China on our street, she gets a huge amount of produce from a very small garden.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 AM

good to know there are some Asian growing kitchen garden in Maine, I think I will be ok in that area.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM

406 posts, read 1,655,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
good to know there are some Asian growing kitchen garden in Maine, I think I will be ok in that area.
Oh I took this to mean she lived in the town of China in Maine. There's some different town names here...like Peru, and Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine